Flowering in Australia December 2009

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

We grow this Dahlia. Don't know it's name.

Also grow a number of purple leaf cvs all seedlings from the old 'Bishop of Llandaff'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

This one is named 'Baby Darls'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

How beautiful are those Dahlias .
Tell me please Wayne...Is there anything you can't grow to perfection LOL!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Very prettiful WC

Frangipani I just call 'Fruit Salad'..

Thumbnail by brical1

Nother

Thumbnail by brical1
rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

wayne i was just going to ask about the purple leafed one,i have one beauty but it usually conks out 2/3 days before the show

You are safe to go now g_whizz that's my lot for the day lol!

thanks mate! i was about to look for my ned kelly suit

LOL!

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

>How beautiful are those Dahlias .
Tell me please Wayne...Is there anything you can't grow to perfection LOL!<

Thanks Judy. I wish that was true! :)

Here is D. 'Barbara Williams' with 'Baby Darls'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

D. 'Bishop of Llandaff'

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

The Bishop again with a seedling.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Seedling Dahlia.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Told you ^_^

happy gardening!
Beautiful wayne ...I agree with judy.
(orchid tree germinating ...cestum ^_^)

Thumbnail by
Clifton Springs, Australia

Don't make me drool Judy.....my frangipanis are 4ft tall and and if I get one lot of flowers I will be lucky.

Hello dahlianut...mine is beautiful but not in flower yet...will post.
tell us what you grow when your'e not freezing ( besides Dahlias )

The weather has been kind in Victoria and for the first time in years my Rhodo "Tilly Astin" hasn't been scorched.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Christchurch, New Zealand

dahlianut - make sure you shake that snow into a bucket for the Aussies to water the garden with...
it is cool & wet here in NZ so we don't need any extra moisture thanks.
At least yesterday was sunny & this morning mild - had a bit of rain this arvo - lucky me - hubby mowed the grass while I was at dog training.
And he cooked lunch!
Spoiled - who me...
oh yeah he has ordered me a lap top to replace my old pc.
Since Windows 7 is being loaded on all new release models show room stock with Vista are being returned to the manufacturer.
Acer is reconditioning & selling them off cheaper but still with full warrenty etc.
The new lap top will have way more grunt than my pc...
I won't know myself ^_^

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Always love your cups full of wonderful plants waiting to grow Chrissy! A "gardener's" garden is so different to a suburban plot. We have pots galore full of wonderfully mysterious pieces from here and there. I keep telling myself that "I must rationalise all these pots!" :)) It never happens. No sooner is something planted out than a new pot takes it place. A loosing battle! :)))

Some of you here might grow Gloriosa superba. In the tropics it is considered a weed. Down here it is OK and easily controlled. I first saw this plant growing at Coloundra Qld over 40 years ago. It was twining its way through chicken wire fencing facing the Pacific Ocean! Tough as! :)))

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Here is the posh cousin! :)
G. rothschildiana.

A few notes... ... ...

http://www.tesselaar.net.au/growingguides/gloriosa_lily.asp

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

now that is interesting - sounds like it could be grown here if you don't mind lifting it & keeping it safe over winter.
Might be worth a crack in a pot, wonder if it is available in ChCh?
both have pretty flowers although the posh cousin would be my pick of the two ^_^

noid mini rose.
This one has been shifted all over the garden, it grew from a cutting & I have given cuttings away to friends & there are two in the gardens at work.
Seems to strike pretty easily & the mulit coloured flowers are pretty.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Dianne,I can't grow your beautiful Rhodos or some of the other beauties you've posted ...so I guess we're even stevens lol!

Wayne, I love glorosias too...I remember when I saw my first one growing in the subtropics...it just blew me away,the thickness of the stems and height it reached...not to mention all the blooms it had,.. before that,I had only ever seen them reach half that size with small blooms and wiry thin stems....A well grown one is a glory to behold...pardon the pun Lol!

wayne i had gloriosa in november,it got caught up in bricals gunfight..it is magnificent..when i purchased,i thought i was buying seeds..the look on my face when i unwrapped two big sweet potatos..[the big' Q' men had a bad day] and let it through the post.....have been cleaning out the lily vortex today ' wardii' will flower this year[such a fine lilium].i have been told it may flower once and then'adios'..duchartrei looks like a creeper vine...leichtelinii will flower,hes up the back,very small.great looking aurelians...seed boxes are really cruising too..asiatic tango centrefold will have 4 good flowers,but once again way too early for the show[this is the one i was hoping would be on time]] ah well

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WC are you propagating your dahlias to get something new? Hi Seachanger. My climate in the Rockies is very good for hardy spring bulbs so those are the first flush of my season. I have alot of woodys which do well here. Besides my beluved dahlias, I have alot of hosta, asiatic lilys, sedum, aquilegia (columbine) and hardy herbs. Although not as severe as in parts of Australia, we have aso been in a drought for the last several years so I've been focusing on drought tolerant plants. I would like to have more iris but I have alot of shade from spruce, pine, and ash trees. Dalfrye sorry but no way on sharing the snow. I need it! I not only shovel the neighbours walks, I also shovel anyone's grass who will let me and pile it on my beds when we get it. ps I am proud to be known as the neighbourhood 'garden weirdo' ^_^ Here is a pic of my garden shed which gives an idea of the mix of woodys and perennials. O forgot to say that was taken June 30th.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2009 4:59 PM

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Clifton Springs, Australia

dahianut, that is my idea of the perfect garden shed..it has that little cottage look.
Very picturesque..
I have the G.rothschildiana but they won't flower until midsummer.
Isn't it odd how we are all on the eastern side of Australia, yet Anthony's flowered in November
and your's is flowering now Wayne...such different climates.
Anthony, here is one of my lilliums...don't know it's name it was given to me.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Lovely shed "Darls"! :)

Is that the giant Burmese honeysuckle growing there? It is beautiful. Imagine the fragrance.

No, I do not "actively" breed Dahlia, the bees did all the work. That promiscuous 'Bishop of Llandaff' has fathered so many seedlings. Some are lovely with greatly dissected foliage and dark leaves. 'Barbara Williams' is a real showgirl! The blooms always remind me of Ava Gardner in the movie "Showboat"... those flamboyant millinery creations she wore.

Away from Dahlia for the moment. It is getting close to afternoon tea time, so here is a colourful "4 o'clock', Mirabilis to brighten your afternoon.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Back to Day Lilies, here is a twisted sister! :)
Hemerocallis 'Jan's Twister'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

This blue Salvia is stunning when teamed up with yellow Asian Lilium. It can be invasive, sending down into the ground great sausage-like tubers. Also spreads by rhizomes, so beware.

I can't remember the name. Does anyone know?

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

thats a great shed dahlianut!!! seachanger put the rothschildaina full sun,next to a brick wall and they love pottasium......those are brilliant examples of 'matrix' lilies. how tall were they? i have a lot of short lilies this year...happy gardening everyone

Coffs Harbour, Australia

helloo all, lovely pic of lovely things! Gloriosa is a weed here. *sigh* as are lots of lovely things.
Flowering today is my Vriesea splendens. Commonly available from Bunnings, Big W and the like. Its very hard to remove the pups, and it usually only gets one, but I was lucky enough to get two, and am hoping they will each grow another two, as a clump would be very impressive in flower, do you think?
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

heres asiatic'royal sunset'took me ages to remember the name...dahlianut,,,is'nt B&D lilies in canada ?do you know of any sources of ''TANGO ASIATIC'' seed? or LANDINI asiatic seed...i've exhausted all avenues over the last 18 months[please dont recommend''seeds by size'']

This message was edited Dec 7, 2009 3:07 PM

Thumbnail by g_whizz

heres the outside shed[cage].this is where the important plants and seeds grow[25x25 mesh]it has the optional extra flyscreen shelf on the side.it goes back 6 metres,3 rows of shelves for seed boxes and a micro spray waterer.

Thumbnail by g_whizz
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

WC the honeysuckle is lonicera 'Marmalade' Not fragrant. LOL about your four-o-clocks cuz four-o-clocks bloom at 7 am here. Morning coffee plants not teatime plants ^_^ gwhizz sorry but I don't know of seed sources for those lilies. Gardens North sells seed for some hardy lilys but not those. B&D Lilies is in WA state.

Cassia fistula....I look forward to seeing this glowing yellow beauty bloom every summer and I just can't get enough of it's refreshing fragrance....
Unfortunately it has never produced seedpods...

Thumbnail by brical1

Thought you might enjoy seeing this chrissy...stand back and watch it grow!lol

Thumbnail by brical1

judy I have just come in from potting the sweet potato bits up ...I do love them and I know these will go like a rocket ...love the colours!
the ollies seem to have grown overnight too.Glad something loves the heat because I don't .
I have 8 little bauhinia seeds up this morning ...ummm I can see forests coming in the paddocks ...the yellow one cestrum sent cuttings of have roots poking out of the bottom of the pot. It's all happening ...trust me to carried away with a possible drought coming back.
The true test is the Frangipani buds growing on my coloured trees ...no blooms last year too cool and wet.
Sorry no pics ...loving everyone elses though.

West of Brisbane, Australia

Your Cassia fistula is beautiful, Judy. I had bought a lot of cassia seeds from ebay and, typically, they all got mixed up. One species has just flowered for the first time, now in its third summer I think--but it's yellow! (Not with hanging racemes, like your fistula.) Apart from the shrubby cassias (alata and didymobotrya), all my tree cassias were supposed to be in shades of pink and red. So disappointing (no time to take a pic yet). And I have about five more saplings of this species, planted to create a canopy. I'm wondering if I will have to cut down and dig out all or most of them ...

Have you smelt C. fistula's fragrance cestrum?...I can smell it each morning when I go out into the yard...I don't know how to describe it in words...I would not call it a sweet scent...but a lingering fresh very pleasant to the nose scent...that tells you a lot now doesn't it lol!

What is the botanical name of your others...I might have some seeds of the pink floating around here somewhere..

I am currently growing out another ..Cassia leptophylla aka Gold Medallion tree.. is a very fast grower for me although still in a pot.

West of Brisbane, Australia

According to my records, I sowed seeds of Cassia brewsteri, javanica and grandis--and one 'unknown' that I collected from a tree near where I used to live in Brisbane. (I didn't even record the colour of the flowers! But I suspect it might well have been a fistula.)

This yellow-flowered cassia is one of two saplings that were planted out in Oct 2006, so this will be their fourth growing season. I know they're not grandis, because I saw one for sale at Bunnings and was able to identify the cassia I have growing by the back fence. (It has been frostbitten for two of the last three winters and then been attacked by borers within weeks of the frost dieback, so I do not want another of these.) I'm pretty sure it's not a brewsteris because it doesn't have weeping branches. I thought these two were javanica, but obviously not. When I have time, I'll see if I can take a pic of it or maybe even cut the top off to get a closer look at the flower.

Thanks for your offer, Judy, but I'll have to think about what to do here. These plants would have been watered intensely in their first season in the ground--by lugging two buckets of water at a time, whenever watering was allowed--and I'm wondering if I have the energy to do this again. Plus, I'd have to dig them out. Given that the papaya and two bananas are *still* waiting to be dug out, this isn't likely to happen soon. First, though, I should identify exactly what it is I have ...

BTW, I think my buddleja globosa is dying. I thought it might be for lack of water, although no other buddlejas in that bed were wiltered--the Spring Promise in particular looks wonderfully health--so I watered it and cut the top growth back. Now, two days later, it looks worse--almost dead. I'm beginning to suspect a soil-borne organism, some type of wilt that I know attacks buddlejas in the sub/tropics. Funny thing is that I stuck the bits I cut off into propagating sand and they still look OK--certainly better than the parent plant ...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.