My new place

Santa Fe, NM

That sounds like almost as much work as pulling up rocks and shade cloth! Labyrinths are nice.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

It would be work, but planting flowers is more fun that planting landscape fabric.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, I have to say I am delighted I have stimulated this much imagination with my little set of problems!

And I have to say also, Sofer, I really really like your advice. thanks! I will tell my landlord to talk to you, if he has any issues with my creative product. And truly, what I do will improve things, no question. Even if they want to put the lawn back later, they will at least have some good rich soil to work with!

The photinia back there do provide a good screen but they cannot go the whole way cause of the actually quite nice tree in the corner.........

I think I am not going to mess with the Peace Sign park. Or, not until I get some real clarity about how I want to mess with it. But I am pretty much for sure going to one way or another open another bed because what is available does not have enough access or room for growing veggies, period. Just the method of approach is in question, actually.

Peace sign park, for me, yes, I would rather have herbs than grass anywhere any day, pretty much, and if I had been designing the thing it would have been a labyrinth or at the very least a medicine hoop! but oh well.

Katlian, hahahahahaha!!! Frankly the more I look at the "tree circles" the stupider they appear. But maybe if I connected them correctly I could attract a spaceship? Hmmmmmm.....

Right now I am working on getting my greens to grow even though I planted them two months too late! I finally put some clear plastic over the containers and I swear the little spinaches are double the size they were a couple days ago.

Yes, it is fun, indeed.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2009 3:32 PM

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

ps Roybird, I would love to see pictures of your friends' places, if you have them to share. But right now money is not the biggest issue, for once in my life! ;-)

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I will swoop by and have a look from the asteroid and let you know what it might look like to a spaceship after you decide how to connect the circles. Maybe my latest painting will inspire you as it has a bazillion circles in it. Not done yet though. And I have not seen any spaceship swooping by it either, so maybe no help there.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Interesting dillemas there, Kyla. I think I would like the peace garden in a bit different interpretation... I love the idea of herbs and things like lavender to walk through... a "flirty" peace garden. Or, lots of wildflowers in spring, followed by something else (don't know what) in summer. And, I think the advice about planting regardless of whether you own or rent (go ahead and do it!) is good advice... even when we own our homes, the world doesn't feel quite so secure and sure as it once did. None of us know what will be, so "que sera, sera"... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZbKHDPPrrc

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Clayzians and Walmartians and who knows who else is hanging around in spaceships!

I wonder if they take up residence in the devil's triangles. Stuff "disappears" in the Bermuda triangle, gets made into bricks or PVC by aliens, and they go plunking it down around our trees.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I think all peace gardens need large healthy Cannabus growing for all to partake in. Large hemp plants with crystals on the pods. Oh yeah and grass growing in the hidden center for the nak.. bodies to dance in. LOL

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Okay, I like that idea the best!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Kyla, I just looked at your office pic again. Wouldn't it be better for you to be looking out the window while you sit at your desk?

Sofer, did you do a snow dance night before last? Just wondering...

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Picante no snow dance here I am in Seattle for the last 2 weeks. Home Saturday night to do the snow dancing. I can't wait. Going out to get my Christmas tree up in the snow. We pull a tobaggan up the hill and then slide down dragging the tree.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

That sounds like fun!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

That would be dangerous picante. Who wants to work when you can look out at your garden and daydream about all the wonderful things you want to plant out there?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Katlin I too will day dream about the changes I need to do before the group show up at my house this year. I plan on lots of rock work if the winter is mild. If not, no big deal, it will still be fun to show off what is there. My garden is always a work in progress. With 3 acres there is always a lot to do. My only restriction is water and the ability not to exhaust the well we share with 2 other neighbors. I am thinking about my own well but they can be quite pricey.

Santa Fe, NM

Kyla, I won't be photographing gardens here for awhile as it is Cold! This morning it is 21 degrees at almost 10:00. Yow! Glad that money isn't an issue for you and you will have no restrictions. It will be a beautiful garden no matter what you decide to do! And if things don't grow well you can just pull them up and plant more!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Sofer, have a great trip home. Karen will be doing her welcome dance, I'm sure!

Roybird, it was below 0 F when I got up. I'm waiting until it hits 10 degrees before I walk Piper. Brrrrrr. No word from Dahlia ... maybe she's frozen.

Katlian, I have succumbed to the very danger you speak of. Only this morning I can't see out due to frost on the storm window.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Zero here this morning too. I have not yet gone outdoors and maybe I won't today...

I like the window out on my garden from my computer room, but it is over to my left from where I sit at the computer and merely a pleasant view when I am up and moving, so it is not a bad distraction. Except when the garden sorely needs some weeding or the sun is shining or when I hear birds chirping, or suspect some flower has opened or think a tomato may have suddenly finished ripening or when I want to eat a handful of fresh peas. No problem at all, you see.

Sofer, from the pictures I have seen, your garden will already be the envy of us all. Don't kill yourself trying to get ready, just enjoy your gardens and be relaxed to greet us when we come to celebrate gardening joys in your beautiful three acres.

I'm staying in too. It dropped down to 5º early this morning and is only 14º now at nearly noon! I guess winter is officially here.
Brrrrrr.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Mulch, I would very much appreciate the view from the asteroid, or the map that I know will be encoded in your latest painting! ;-)

Roybird..... it was 22 here! so I know what you mean. And, money? Well, it is just not THE issue, but as far as I know it is still a limit...... ;-)

Picante, I thought long about how to face my desk. The thing is, the front door is in the opposite corner and I am not comfortable with the whole house and the front door at my back. I am in a position where I can see everything and out both windows just by turning my head a tad..... so this turns out to be best. But it took a long time to get clear that I was actually going to face away from the windows, I had that very same first impression.

That mirror too, is reflecting out one window as I sit here, so I am really not cut off from the outside at all.

Here is that flicker again, taken from the dining room window a moment ago:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Lovely flicker! In all the stuff going on at my house I had missed this thread until now. Love your garden photos and your new office area, Kyla. Also loved you in couture clothing! More comments about the gardening later -- now that I have found the thread. I share your disappointment that neighbors will be moving in. I say water those photinias so you won't see the neighbors! Photinias can get quite tall. Though not especially exciting to look at, they can be a great curtain against the new residents.
Tree circles, yes they have been here, too. The tree that is dying is probably doing a natural thinning thing. Those big trees are too close together IMHO. Are they ponderosa pines? They do tend to then themselves naturally, and I expect that is what is happening with yours. Hopefully if and when it succumbs the owners will not blame you and will have it removed before it falls on your house --- that is an issue I am sensitive on.
More later. Great move, Kyla!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.