Tips on moving house plants

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

If you find yourself getting ready to move and have house plants, here is a tip I discovered several years ago that may be helpful. I recently shared it with a friend that suggested I post on here.

This applies primarily to 'viney' plants, but the principle applies to all potted house plants.

A couple of weeks before you move, cut back on the water to your plants and skip the last two waterings altogether. Allow your plants to become wilted with the leaves droopy and dull. Vines, like Philodendron, Creeping Charlie and Wandering Jew will benefit from this in particular. The vines will become rubbery and much less apt to breakage. You can wrap the vines around a piece of cardboard for transport. The center of a fabric bolt from your neighborhood fabric store works perfectly for this.

Once you've moved, place your plants where you want them in your new home, put the vines where you want them, on hooks or whatever, then water them.

A plump, shiny leafed, freshly watered plant is much more apt to breakage than a rubbery, wilted one.

Danville, IN

Very clever! I never would have thought of this procedure. Although I don't plan on moving anytime soon, I will definitely remember this advice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.