What's Happening in your neck of the woods? Friends...

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning,

Making things easier for us to chat...last thread was getting difficult to download for some...

We've moved from here.....

This message was edited Nov 16, 2009 10:33 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Good morning everyone,

Isn't the weather suberb...even reached 70 on Saturday...too bad I was doing a Christmas project with a few friends...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Sunday, much the same, perhaps in mid 60's...thought it would be the day to take the pump out of the pond, close in the side deck where I store my patio set..while doing the pond, Sailor was in drinking, not good, so I refilled as I was worried her claws might damage the liner...as well got the bright idea to take all the Christmas totes and decorations out..had alread put up outside lights/deck Christmas tree and yard trees last weekend...omg couldn't believe how much I've accumulated again..

House was spotless, didn't take me long while opening totes to make a mess I'll tell you..but by 10pm all was in order...all but 2 or 3 rooms have been decorated...I'll wait until the end of the month to make all the floral arrangements...

Just know that after my next 2 workshops will will bring me to Dec.1st I'll be sitting with my feet up, nothing to do, relaxing and waiting for Santa...at least that's the plan....

MG99, hugs sweetie, how terrible..one just doesn't know when you should go to the doctor, some things seem trivial and yet they are life threatening...her family must be devastated as are you...

"M" you made me laugh, been there, those hot flashes are the pitz...thank goodness I rarely get them anymore...never thought of using the 'I forgot something in my car'..now why did women instead of men get all these things to deal with...lucky souls!

Susan, love the poem, copied..hop eyou don't mind...

Carol, pretty blouse..bet the house decorated in old fashion Christmas style is something to behold...lucky you working in such a facility...you must be in awe many days..it especially will look lovely with light snow falling won't it..slap me silly for thinking that..lol

Love the blouse...you all must look elegant..is it expensive to visit?

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh Carol - love the blouse! Thanks for the update on Lougheed House. We'll have to make a return visit when it's decorated for Christmas ^_^

Betty - the poem isn't mine, so you're free to use it of course.

Going to be a busy day at work (although it's quiet cuz many physicians are away, which gives me time to transcribe some meetings and edit copy - quiet work if ever there was some!). I hope to get a lot done ^_^

Take care, and have a great day!

~Susan~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Betty

generally $8.50 self guided or with an interpreter , cheaper for students, seniors and kids.
When restaurant is open only $4.00
Thes Xmas thing is a fundraiser and it is $15.00 admission for adults.

Victoria Harbour, ON

That's really reasonable...are they period decorations?
Would be stunning, can you take photo's for us?

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
What a joyfull time to be spending with all the folks who want to come and see that georgeous house. The blouse looks stunning, looking forward to seeing you in full regailia(sp).
Can you all believe that Christmas is only 6 weeks away? I'd better get the decorations out too or I will run out of time.
Susan
That poem is very close to a prayer that Mother Teresa has that was recited by a whole class of grade 5s at my daughters school. Its very empowering and reminds one as to why we are here in the first place.

Here it is:

Mother Teresa's Anyway Poem
People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered;
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway.

Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG I'd never heard that one before Ann...copied it...
Thank you so very much for posting it...
Going back to re-read!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I love this poem.
It's the way I prefer to live my life. Not that I manage to, all the time - I am human after all, and sometimes the put-downs hurt, but I do try.

^_^

~Susan~

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

You are welcome
and Ditto.
Ann

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Greetings from Montreal. We are between legs on our trip. Taking the scenic route - Ottawa-Montreal; Montreal-Boston; Boston-Frankfurt; Frankfurt-Hamburg. Using enough points to go business class although the first 2 legs are Dash 8 with no BC, but we get lounge privileges.

Concert last night went well. It's all consuming with the rehearsals on the previous weekend - one on saturday, two on Sunday and a short one on Monday before the concert.

Now things should be a bit quieter for awhile. We are back in Ottawa on the 25th for 2 1/2 weeks before we go to Vancouver for Christmas.

Will check in when I'm able but am not sure how much time I'll have for that until Sunday.

Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

You are certainly our WORLD traveller Ann..just home long enough to wash clothing and pack them up again...do enjoy...wish it were I?

Calgary, Canada

Annabell that is beautiful. i will print it and read it daily for a while.

I am not up on your travels violaAnn, is it an orchestra tour?

theresa

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, can the weather be any nicer? Best we enjoy it, might be short lived...already my boys are complaining..need snow for snowmobiles and skiing..lol...

With several workshops planned for the 28th/29th think I'll leave early each morning, cutters in hand and start cutting greenery on back concessions..need supplies for my christmas floral arrangements as well .. won't do what I did last year for sure...brrr it was cold during the blizzard and me cutting and getting my body stuck up the the shoulders in a ditch..shaking my head..nope, not this year....

So what are you all doing, any of you decorating outside/inside yet...would love to see your photo's for ideas...how about Christmas shopping, into the spirit of things yet...

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Foggy morning in North Western Ontario, and .. brrrrrrrr .. damp chilly .. only to be followed by ANOTHER bright and sunny day with highs near 6C or more .. can't beat that !!!

Have done some online Xmas shopping, but find I am kept extremely busy with the plethora (gawd I luv that word) of appts and home visitors re Lorna's care. .. things in that dept continue to improve with a BIG appt on Friday .. removal of staples and sutures .. fingers and toes crossed ..

Say .. how are you guys in Calgary? I am hearing reports re your 60cm of SNOW with accompanying high winds ?? Lawsie .. take care all of you ..

Off to walk Lilly

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

omg ~M~ - I'd heard something about snow, but we don't have it now, thank goodness!
We had WIND yesterday, though..... over 100k and in our trailer park there was a tree that fell and took out a jeep........
I don't know whose it was (didn't find out until after 8pm that it'd happened @ 5:30 pm), but I may find out tonight.

Well, have 4 teleconferences & 2 meetings today, so gotta "hit the ground running" at work.
Cya later!

♪♫Susan♫♪

Whoa .. 100Kph winds are pretty darned terrifying !!!
MEDIA .. whatcha gonna do .. the reporter/announcers were likely referring to MOUNTAIN snowfalls .. NOT snowfall in the city proper .. if that had been the case, my bud who lives there would have called me as she ususally does after Cowtown has a big snowfall to semi prepare me for what MIGHT come my way !!

Took Lilly down to get the paper and as I stepped out of our driveway onto the asphalt of the side road, I thought ,, HMmmmmmmmmm .. sure enough .. ICED over .. I sure made my way with care over to the mailbox ..
Lilly is hankering for a HUGE dump of snow. The heavy frosts these last few mornings have given her hope, and she rolls in the grass as if it had snowed ^_^
Does a body good to see a creature enjoy something SO simple, SO much.

Housework is calling, cat is meowing, phone is ringing .. off I go

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Snow?Someone mentionedsnow??????????? Not around here but as Susan said sure was windy yesterday!

Worked the VIP event at Lougheed House last evening. Here is a quick peek at my new outfit, well the skirt is actually my summer skirt but the winter one won't show up soon unless I make it myself, which I will probably do. The shoulders on the leg-o-mutton sleeves don't look right yet as the stiffening is not in to hold them up but that will come -someday! sigh!!!!!!!!!
Relaxing today but will be working a shift at LH Thurs thru Sunday! Expect I will have sore feet.

Betty I took pics of the house last night - I will post some in my garden files - and let you know when to look!

This message was edited Nov 18, 2009 12:11 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol
What a beautiful "Uniform". I can see the tree behind you.
You can sure see why they are called "leg O mutton"
Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Thanks for sharing Carol, now don't you look spiffy..I'll enjoy looking at the Christmas decorations and yes please let me know where I can access them...legs of lamb, hmmm I musn't have been near any as i can't see the relation to your blouse...now watch me go in search of some..lol..

"M" waving to Lorna....absolutely forbid the 'snow' word for yet another 2 or 3 weeks...will be here soon enough, so if you do see some, please/please keep it for yourself...

Yes, animals sure do know difference in the weather..Riley(kitty), whom I rarely see inside all spring/summer/fall now puts his head out and comes back in...he's not about to sleep out in the cold when he's a warm bed to snuggle in...

WOW .. Carol .. what a wonderful pic !!!! You look MAHVALOUS my dear ^_^

Re .. SNOW .. well .. there musta been some big dump of the white stuff somehwere in Alta .. seems it's all I hear on the radio here .. I should turn on the WEATHER CHANNEL .. but I'm in a 12 step program to give it up LoL am so addicted to it .. but .. the commercials (especially the NUTBAR young woman driving the car and screaming) are driving me away !!! Parting is such sweet sorrow hahahha !!!

Off to bring my sheets in off the line

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Carol, that outfit is gorgeous!
Tell me, now that you mention sore feet, are you required to wear shoes "of the era"? I don't recall, and don't think they could be seen anyway.
I hope you get to wear comfortable shoes!

~Susan~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

No we wear whatever we like and - as you say they mostly dont show anyway. The other interpreter on last night who has a lovely grey silk and lace outfit was wearing black ankle socks and flat black tie ups!
I actually do have winter and summer shoes that look rather old fashioned ( the summer ones are actually dance practice shoes) but are very comfortable.

Betty I have posted a few pics of the house in my blog. I can see some areas I missed so will take some more tomorrow or Friday.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2009 8:54 PM

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

That's good. I was afraid they'd make you wear era shoes that were uncomfortable.

~Susan~

REEBOKS :-) I'd be wearing a good runner.
Years ago .. nurses (like me) HAD to wear 'hospital approved nursing footwear' .. now EXCUSE ME, but NONE of the so called 'footwear experts' were NURSES .. so .. back in the day nurses wore kind of an Oxford typa shoe .. OWWWW .. by the time you had spent 8+ hours on yer feet, your calves and back (not to mention your tootsies) were ready to disown you !! Things loosened up a bit at the end of the 70s .. pant suit uniforms (IMAGINE, nurses in SLACKS) hit the market .. and so did .. RUNNERS ... Lordie .. my first pair were NIKES and I could have worked 18 hours in those puppies .. my feet were literally dancing !!!

SOoooooooo .. I have been up for WAY too long .. Smokey is being a BAD kitty these days .. at least at night .. even the warmth of the woodstove and a full belly does not keep him from squwaking at 5am.

House cleaning is on my agenda today .. what JOY, what BLISS .... N O T !!!!

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" was on chat but must have just missed you...the outfits the nurses now wear of so stylish..reminds me of the changes in Sister habits..nothing like the years before, down to the ground the robes were and no hair showing..they must be relieved...

Raining here...weatherman says we need it for the lawns/plants/shrubs to have a comfortable winter...o.k. still better than snow...

Calgary, Canada

Fantastic outfit Carol! I must get to the Lougheed one of these days. Stark contrast to my gig last night playing with the Trans Siberian Orchestra at the Saddledome! (a rock extravaganza of immense proportion)

Every snowless November day seems like such a gift. Not having grown up here I marvel at the way Canadians never take the weather for granted. And roll with the punches.

Theresa

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Theresa
"roll with the PUNCHES" Ha Ha Ha
Sometimes that is exactly what it feels like.
You are right though , nothing should be taken for granted.
Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

lol...don't mind the cold or even blizzards just hate that inbetween when it's slushy and dirty and you can't make use of what winter is really about..outdoor skating, snowmobiling, skiing etc...if we have to have it then let's get at it..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi all - just a quick post to say "I'm still here"
busier than heck, so no time to really say anything.

Hope your day is terrific

~Susan~

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Nothing here but rain and more rain. Lots of flooding around. We're OK though, we're on a hill.

Glad you're on a hill Linda .. you certainly have had lots of rain there!!

Off to the hospital this morning to have sutures and staples removed (Lorna not me) fingers crossed that all turns out well.

TGIF everyone

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sending a prayer for Lorna, she's been through enough!

Raining heavily here as well..on the mild side for this time of year...

Just scheduled 2 of my workshops - one for Nov.28th and the other Nov.29th...every year when the group meets to do their craft we have a blizzard, soooo expect a major blizzard on the 29th..lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

thoughts & prayers for Lorna coming from me....

Here's a pic from our company christmas party - thought you'd like to see one of the decorations on the buffet table

~Susan~

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Victoria Harbour, ON

was the castle made of white plumbing? adorable

Lovely decoration .. still having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that it's almost XMAS !!!!!

Lorna did well .. it was quite an excruciating thing to have to go through, nuff said, now we keep fingers crossed that the incision continues to heal properly ..

It is 46F here .. that'd be about 8C .. sunny and a light breeze ... gorgeous ...

Waiting on someone to come look at the treadmill .. we're selling it .. makes Lorna feel kinda bad, and, I am not using it enough to warrant keeping it. Bought it for $1250. on 2007 and am letting it go for $400. .. IF I can get that !!! One guy said I'll give ya a hundred bux .. HA !!!

Hope everyone has a splendiferous weekend .. wonder if Don has made it to the southern States ?

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I don't know what it was made of. It was rather dim in the room, and people were milling around the buffet table, so I didn't get much chance to get closer.

Poor Lorna re: treadmill. But it's best to get rid of it. It would be a constant reminder for her, and she doesn't need that. Not only that, but it's Taking Up Space lol

Take care - heading off to sleep......... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

~Susan~

Susan .. I am SO laffin here re that treadmill .. when it was used .. we REALLY USED it ... in fact, when I turned it on to make sure everything worked properly .. it read 600 miles .. that's lotsa miles on it. But still works like a charm .. BUT .. the funny part (I was getting there) is that I had to remove 1) a soccer ball Lilly chases in summer 2) a summer jacket hanging from one of the supports 3) a recycling bag full of old newspapers 4) a large bag of peanuts in the shell for the Blue Jays that someone had tucked neatly into the area where the treadmill folds up 5) half a case of diet coke hiding on the side you don't see as well as my black crocs which have been missing since August !!!! SOoooooooo .. I guess my home will be a bit less tidy for the loss of the treadmill ... OH ........ it was SOLD last evening :-)
How they'll get it OUT is a different story, I wasn't here when it was delivered .. heavy unit fer sure !!

Lilly and I are heading to the DUMP today .. always a GLORIOUS outting for her .. I personally find it NASTY ..

Enjoy your Saturday

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

hahahaha getting it out was an issue, eh? Well, I used to have one of those "non-folding" ones, and it was approx 6 ft long, and 2 ft wide, with the height of 4 1/2 ft.
I was just saying to DH today that I wished I had one of those folding exercise bikes, but then it'd likely stay beneath the bed (if there were room beneath the bed!!).
Today I'm clearing out all the recyclables to take to the Bottle Depot (for $$) and all the paper/cardboard to the bin........... siiiiiiiiiigh IF my DH helps me load up my car!
Then it's off to the printer ink recycler to get my cartridges refilled.....
THEN I'm off to the church to serve @ a Pointsettia Tea from 2-3. They sell the Poinstettias afterwards, so I think I'll get one.
Last night my neighbour asked if I'd join her for some clothes shopping at a place I'd never been to - it's an Outlet store for Alia/TanJay. Got a scarf I can wear with some earrings I'd never been able to match, for colour; a lacy burgundy top (put a long sleeved top under it?); and another autumn leaves patterned top (with some black places on it, it'll look great with my black pants and a black shell). I was thrilled to find a good place to shop that's only about 4 miles from home! (10 min drive, cuz there are so many back ways in, to avoid traffic & lights lol).

Well, better get cleaning!!

~Susan~

YIP YIP YIPPEE !!! The fella who bought the treadmill, and his Dad, got that puppy out with little effort .. lotsa huffing and puffing though .. I was just SO happy the weather here is as beautiful as it is .. 9C, sunny just a perfect fall day ..

Susan, sounds as though your day will be productive as well as fun :-) Love Poinsettias .. only thing is .. I won't throw them out after they are beyond their Xmas glow .. by August I have a gangly 2 leaved plant that really needs HELP but, I know nothing will bring it back to it former beauty ..

I think we have an Alis/TanJay store here ... well .. I know we do .. have just never visited .. sounds as though you got some nice things :-)

Off to wash the floor where the treadmill was .. hope I can get some of the surface scrapes out !!

~M~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.