I Have (Demi) Divine Socks!

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Oh the pictures of the hat are simply DIVINE!! oh The colors so vibrant and bold.... in both the hat and the outfit...

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Don't you find that the accompanying dance is none too shabby either, MissJestr?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Kelly and I don't like to eat the same foods (I mean my Kelly, not Grownut Kelly). He only likes meat and potatoes or corn at each meal. He will also eat mushrooms. He won't eat any other vegetables besides potatoes, corn & mushrooms. He will eat tomato if it is pureed in a pasta sauce or lasagna or whatnot, but if there are chunks of tomato, he shoves them to the side.

I eat nearly anything but I am spice intolerant. I also hate cilantro and cumin. Other than that, I eat whatever is in front of me. Oh, except lamb.

So anyway, Kelly eats cheerios for breakfast, which I hate, and I eat Greek yogurt and honey for breakfast most days, which he hates. Then we have our own lunches at work, and sometimes of course I am at school after work, so by the time I get home, I usually am too tired to cook and I eat pasta or a salad. Kelly makes his own meals.

All this is to say that I rarely cook, because I don't have time since I went back to school and got a farm, in addition to working full time. I bake a lot for the holidays. I hope to cook again after school is finished, and when I do, it's lots of Mediterranean, Northern Italian, French and a bit of Asian food styles (but not spicy).

Clarkson, KY

I do Indian occasionally. Love the spices, but alas -I am the only food adventurer in the household. Down Home -well. Ferinstance: Bread pudding w/ home canned peaches and brandied raisins and milk poured over for breakfast. Or creamy bacon potato soup. Or stewed venison. Or ever-changing beef stew. Kelly? Hmmm: Curried lamb cacciatore with homemade noodles. Or five mushroom-n-white wine sauce spaghetti. Or Chinese Five-Vegetable plus alpha spaghetti. Or a tasty mish-mash of the available cuisines and spices which I can never manage to repeat.

I really should have complimented hat and dance ages ago! As well as apologizing to Claire for the superfluity of Kellys...

Interesting! We always sat down to breakfast together, even when our kids were small, and it was always something cooked, like eggs or waffles or toasted bagels and gefilte fish (well, the fish weren't cooked, at least not by me!) Currently we vary between English muffins with cheese, ham and an apple slice; whole wheat croissants with yogurt (Stonyfield has this great chocolate yogurt that makes the croissants taste like pain au chocolat!); eggs over easy or scrambled; and hot cereal when it's getting chilly, cold cereal in the summer. My DH will eat anything - even things I won't, like eels and sweetbreads - so he's easy to cook for. He does NOT cook himself, though, except occasionally he'll make pasta fagioli. I like two-mealers; eat it once and then see it again a few days later. It gives me an incentive to cook something fussier or more involved. I've made cassoulets that have lasted forever and finally got shoved into the freezer to be eaten a month or two later when all memories of white beans, garlic and goose have faded. And we both love lamb; we used to raise sheep just to have a good supply of it.

Kelly, that creamy bacon and potato soup sounds delicious; so does the bread pudding for breakfast and the mushroom white wine sauce over pasta. Got recipes? We have a surfeit of red wine here since DH makes his own, so I have to buy white wine in little plastic bottles - yuk! But we don't normally drink white and it goes off so quickly once it's opened that it's hard to keep it in as a staple.

But then, of course, I'm retired and have a lot more time to cook than I used to. And a couple of trips to France recently really inspired me. Even when I was working and raising kids, though, I liked to putter in the kitchen. When I was in college I used to make big pots of things like beef stew, fish chowder, and stuffed cabbages and eat them for days. But it's hard if you can't come to an agreement over what should constitute dinner, I'm sure. What will you do when you're finished with school and you and Kelly try to have meals together again? Or won't you even attempt it?

This message was edited Nov 8, 2009 3:10 PM

Clarkson, KY

If I don't get back with recipes by Tues, d-mail me. I'd love to trade...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

G-G, even before school we didn't eat the same meals most of the time, so it won't make a difference. We will eat together (i.e. at the same time) more often because my schedule will be less silly, but we will make and eat our own meals. Sometimes we share a portion of the meal, for example, I might eat some of the meat he has prepared, or if I do some sauteed veggies, I do the mushrooms separately and he takes some, and then I combine the rest of the mushrooms with my other veggies after he takes his portion.

We both like potatoes, but I like to have a variety of veggies, with potatoes as just part of the selection, so we often make enough potatoes (or corn) for both of us, but I still make more veggies.

He does eat ANY kind of fish or seafood, so that helps too. Personally I don't care for clams or oysters, so he eats those himself, but we often eat salmon or scallops or other fish together, and then make our own sides. I also use the slow cooker a lot for meats, so then we both take portions of that but he usually douses his with bbq sauce or what he calls gravy (and I call goop) and I usually have mine with a chutney or other condiment on the side.

It's a good thing we don't have kids because they'd surely try to behave more like him (i.e. picky eaters) than me because they'd see him doing it every day! As it is, our "kids" just eat hay and grain! LOL!

The variety of arrangements that people evolve within relationships never ceases to amaze me! If you had kids it would indeed be interesting to see how you'd cope. I suspect that meals would become more homogenized, with both of you yielding a bit so that you could make just one supper work for all of you!

Picky eaters are indeed a bane and the creation of same is definitely to be avoided!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Thank goodness my husband is NOT a picky eater, he will eat anything; ok, almost anything....he won't even try a bite of a peanut butter, banana & brown sugar sandwich.....silly man. :-)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

that sounds good-i also like peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich.

Clarkson, KY

And raisins!!

yes

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

DIVINE SOCKIES AND FUNGII HATS!!!!! How everso exciting! I have been halluciflying around trying to find the Great Punkin and return to much knittification and purlyness. I have not even contemplated a pokey needle what with harvesting seeds and recovering from bulbbutt. I just luv the matching slippers in your dancing ensemble dear Claire ^_^ {{{Cousin Nut}}} I hope things aren't too fractcious. Off to the wild bird store. I'm on a mission to find dehydrated bugs. Back soon.

nut dear-if you can not find them, let me know I have a couple of web site where you had find the live ones. my wild birds are spoil the will not eat the dehydrated ones. lol

Good luck with your bug search. I could dehydrate some ladybugs for you, perchance. We have quite a hatch of them here. But I suspect that if birds liked them they wouldn't be so plentiful, now would they?

Yes, the fungus hat was most impressive. Surely as splendiferous as I had anticipated, the effect being greatly augmented by the joyous capering of the recipient in the aforesaid photos.

Did you find your bugs?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

G_G - sometimes I feed him pureed cauliflower and onion in soups or stews, or even lasagna. He does not notice. I am very sneaky. :-)

Thank you all for your lovely comments on my joyous capering. It does a body good. In fact, I need to do a great deal more joyous capering to improve this body!!

I could also send a wealth of ladybugs but the Canadian customs are unlikely to be amused. Drat.

Dahlianut - how is your skunk flock?

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

i know its a little off subject.. but since this was a sock thread..

I started my first pair of socks tonight! (4 knitting needles are slightly dangerous)

I also have lots of lady bugs.. I tried feeding them to the chickens.. they refuse.. the cats won't kill them & the dog just barks at them. I'd gladly vacuum them up in my clear canister & bag them for mailing to anyone with some type of animal that would eat the dumb things.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

i agree, the chickens have a definite lack of interest in the ladybugs.

Very exciting about your first socks. Keep us updated! I am still trying to finish my first sock but have put it on hiatus until I finish some Christmas projects. Sigh.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Chickens are smart. Ladybugs are beneficial insects so shouldn't be eaten. Dear Claire Peppy and Peppermint moved away at the end of the summer. I was sad but DH was happy. We were travelling and the cat sitter didn't fill the bird baths so I think they left because there was no source of water. Flockless again sigh. I did not find dehydrated bugs which I wanted to make my own suet but I did find an Insect Suet which has crickets in it. We don't have crickets so this will be tres fine dining for the chickadees and nut hatches ^_^ Apparently you can't just buy dehydrated bugs by themselves. Worms yes; insects no. New project next summer: dehydrate bugs. Quandry: how to catch a ton of bugs for dehydration purposes?

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

I could be very wrong but i could have sworn they had them at the local pet store when i was buying fish. I'll check & let you know in a couple days. If they got them do you want me to mail some to you?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

REALLY? I never thought about fish food. I'm going to check that out! Thanks greykyttn. If we don't have them here I will take you up on that offer. I'll dmail you.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

ok.. not sure they were fish food.. i was just buying fish for my fountain in the front yard. The bugs were in that area also.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Dahlianut, these were the nasty Asian ladybugs who are yellowish in colour and actually prey upon the proper ladybugs and which also bite. They are nasty. Chickens should gorge upon them in a festive and gluttonous manner.

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

CMoxon i totally agree.. those yellowish ones & those orangish ones are mean & nasty.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

So that's where all my ladybugs went this year, they went visiting...lol. I hardly saw any here this spring & summer.

I'm hoping to have a pair of socks finished by the end of the year made from the divine yarn I got from Claire. It's really nice!

Dahlianut, here's a couple of websites to check out.
http://www.flukerfarms.com/freezedriedinsects.aspx
http://www.duncraft.com/Mealworms-Pure-Insect-Foods-C53.aspx

Lodi, United States

Psst! Dahlianut--you are suppose to contact me...really....they are waiting....

Claire, to return however briefly to the family-feeding discussion, I often sneak veggies into dishes whilst preparing them for my picky granddaughter. I agree, it's amazing what you can hide in a good spaghetti sauce - or stew or soup! And by the way, the aforementioned cockerel, all two and a half pounds of it, didn't go far enough to satisfy DS on Sunday night, apparently; he was reaching for other people's chicken bones in a pathetic display of incipient starvation. I pulled out the goose rillettes I had just made and gave him some on a slice of homemade bread, which finally seemed to do stay his stomach.

DS, DIL and GD confessed recently that the name they apply to the meals prepared in my kitchen from home-grown produce and critters is "Backyardickens." As in "What's for dinner at Greenmom's, tonight - backyardickens again?"

{{I didn't really want any socks or hats, anyway}}

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

u all keep talking about hiding veggies from children, grandchildren.. significant others... Try having the tables turned & needing to hide veggies from your own mother when you cook. That's an interesting one. "no mom, i did not put butternut squash in the soup, I swear its just a sweet potato chunks. no mom, no cauliflower either.." The blender works wonders to puree stuff then add it back in with chunks of potatoes so she doesn't know what she's getting. :) This coming from a child that was extreemly picky when it came to eating. Turns out with the correct spices i like most veggies.

I may get brave & try a peanut butter & banana sandwich one day.. but idk how you'd ever put the brown sugar on it & not have a mess! (sorry a little behind in reading as usual)

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I've recommended cauliflower 'mashed potatoes' to several people for their kids. Put cooked cauliflower in a food processor, add milk or half & half, butter, season to taste. I can't stand cauliflower but love it this way.

A PB & banana sandwich with brown sugar is messy to eat. I hold the plate up so I don't get any sugar on my, um, shelf.

Lodi, United States

My DM used to eat peanut butter and onion sandwiches......peanut butter and sweet pickles sandwiches....peanut butter and bacon sandwiches...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

PB & bacon....oooh, that sounds like a delightful experiment, must try that...

Joplin, MO(Zone 6b)

ok.. i guess i'm just a decent all american kid.. just give me either pb & j or pb & syrup or honey. o.. but i do like fluff on my peanut butter sandwiches. Pb & bacon is good tho.. my aunt use to eat toast with peanut butter on it for breakfast & sometimes a lil peanut butter would get on the bacon. :) maybe its just bc i'm not fond of ripe bananas. I like mine still half green.

I have fed mom the mashed mock cauliflower potatoes. Those she'll eat. o & we add a little ranch dressing & sour cream to them when the kids are hear. :) very good.

I was introduced to PB and bacon sandwiches many years ago and I loved them. Sometimes I'll substitute salami for the bacon, since I don't often have spare strips of same lying around the house! And I've never made them just for that sandwich.

Richmond, TX

Catscan if your mother ate those sandwiches while pregnant, it would explain a lot.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Porkpal....too funny....OMG laughing myself silly here....poor Catscan, she is so besieged here....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

mmmmmm PB & B mmmmmmmm

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I read every post.. this is the best thread ever! The divine socks live! I laughed so loud sitting here in the truck with my laptop on the steering wheel.. I'm at a truckstop in NM and will be leaving soon.. getting some stares for all the laughing!

Catscan, no babiez yet.. I wonder if you could replace her (daughter of Biff) eggs with serama eggs?

I liked PB on saltine crackers with raisins when I was a kid.. :)

I wish I could just have a fresh egg breakfast........ You can't imagine how much I miss fresh eggs!!!!!!!!!!!

{{{{hugz to all}}}}

Lodi, United States

Hi ZZ!

I can't bring myself to replace eggs that are about to hatch with new eggs....even if they are mongrel eggs. One of my Dutch Bantams just hatched two eggs (out of 10) and then abandoned the babies. One was killed and the other is in a box in the bedroom...it is an adorable mongrel bantam...clearly part Silkie and part Nankin. I am its Mommy--boy is this exhausting.....

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh no! Poor thing! You and the baby!

Go to my house and get an incubator!

Lodi, United States

Thank you, ZZ! I'll do it!

Warn Cody....I'll be by tomorrow...

Errr, confession....I seem to have had a slight Ebay relapse....just a small one...I'm back on the`wagon now...but I really will need a hatcher....the last (small) batch of eggs came today....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.