I Have (Demi) Divine Socks!

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

What kind of boat would you like, my dears? We have a choice of kayaks, canoes, motor boats or sailboats. Personally I think that kayaks or sailboats would give the event more panache, but that's just me; I don't insist. All are at your disposal - er, mayhap I should say pleasure instead?

I see no one wants a labradoodle, though? She comes with the motor boat but not the other crafts. Oh, and lest I forget - she loves cupcakes but can't have chocolate, of course. Red would be lovely.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2009 8:15 PM

Clarkson, KY

Sailboat.

It's a deal... Let the Olympics begin!

(Ta-DAHHHH!)

Clarkson, KY

If it were all poultry it could be the Poulympics....

Lodi, United States

Sadly, I cannot participate due to a life-time ban for excessive poppy seed candy consumption during 2007 Poultry Marathon in Ankara,Turkey.

Perhaps you forgot?

But you CAN participate in the Caprineovine-and what's duck?-ineolympics, can you not?

Forgot to ask - which sailboat? Choice of GP14 and Sunfish, both 14 feet. Sorry nothing larger. I don't think a llama or a sheep would fit well but you could stick a whole bunch of ducks on one.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2009 8:59 PM

Clarkson, KY

Sunfish, please....that's what we kids got to sail...

Lodi, United States

I think I am still allowed in the goat trials--but I am definitely banned from the anasine events.

They are very strict and their definition of Poultry is broad.

Clarkson, KY

chicken...

Okay, what in heaven's name is anasine? Unrelated to asinine, I presume?

I tried to learn to sail that Sunfish but I'm too much of a wuss. I mean, I did it, but then never went out again. I don't like tippy things!

Lodi, United States

"Anas"--Latin for duck.
Anserine--goose-like
Aquiline--eagle-like
Asinine--donkey-like
Porcine--pig-like
Pavonine (my personal favourite)--peacock-like

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

LOLOLOL... wait I am laughing too hard to post

I knew porcine, pavonine, ovine, bovine and caprine, but not the others. Aquiline is interesting; truly a hooked nose, then, isn't it? Aren't words cool?

Lodi, United States

For some reason I can never remember "frog-like" although I know it starts with "ra". So here is a list I just found. Everyone can print it out, stick it on the fridge, commit it to memory, practice using it in a sentence, and annoy their friends and family.

anserine = goose
aquiline = eagle
asinine = donkey
bovine = cow
canine = dog
caprine = goat
corvine = crow
equine = horse
feline = cat
glirine = rodent
hircine = goat
leonine = lion
leporine = rabbit
lupine = wolf
murine = mouse
ovine = sheep
piscine = fish
porcine = pig
ranine = frog
serpentine = snake
ursine = bear
vespine = wasp
vulpine = fox

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

This is kind of a nice hat, but I like the horrible hat better :)

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth
Lodi, United States

That IS a nice hat...is it knit or crochet?

...and then there is this one :(

Thumbnail by ByndeweedBeth

I think the first one is crocheted, the second one...who knows LOL

One could call the second one a "tumor" hat!

Lodi, United States

The second one is definitely knitted.

Oh Dear--it looks like something someone designed after a bad time cramming for a Chemistry Exam.

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

catscan, nice word list! thanks for the Latin lesson! but, why are there 2 goats???

Lodi, United States

Well--both are derived from Latin words meaning goat--but while the former, caprine, seems more a technical definition of any animal related to sheep but having straight horns and a beard (goat, huh?), the latter (hircine) seems more tightly linked to the ummmm....how to put this.....ummmm.....smell. So that while it would be rude to call your DH caprine...it would be very rude to call him hircine as well.

This message was edited Dec 5, 2009 11:25 PM

Dartmouth, NS(Zone 6a)

lol!

Hircine, I wonder if hirsuit was a latin linked word to that. Hairy and smelly?

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Still cackling LOLOLOL Thanks for the lesson Catscan, I have so many new words I can call people and they would not know they were being insulted...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Ooooh! I want the murine olympics! I love mice!

I didn't know about pavonine. Very elegant sounding.

the second hat is disturbing.

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Cmoxon, Please feel free to come to my place and get your friend the mouse that does not want to leave... Our cat does not want to chase it, I am afraid of mouse traps that might get the dogs or worse, BIlly.
Dont want to use posion, again if the mouse died, can my cat or dog get sick. I dont mind them living outside, but I am Drawing the line inside..

So Please have the murine olympics here at my place and take home all participants as my gift..

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

oh MissJ, I use the live traps. They are so easy. You just put some peanut butter in them and the mice go in. Then I give the mice a stern talking to, and I drive about 5 miles and release them. Nobody gets hurt. They are easy and clean and you don't have to touch the mice and there is no poison. Or spring trap thing. No problem for dog, cat, child, etc. I got mine at Home Depot.

Clarkson, KY

I need some too. They've moved in for winter...and are NOT welcome!!

Lodi, United States

But do remember to check the traps.......

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Home depot has become my favorite store... I will be going there tomorrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.