Dianthus for 2010 - Anyone?

(Zone 6a)

I'm hoping to order some 'Can Can Scarlet' which is supposed to flower all summer! I also want to move my dianthus that is in the garden as they don't seem to like our soil. They just sit there all summer......maybe making ONE flower.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Can Can Scarlet is one of the better taller carnations. Very fragrant.....smells like spice. It does take a long time to grow from seed to bloom. I'm guessing it was around 120-150 days.

(Zone 6a)

..................................................................uhhhg. Thats 4 or 5 months....well I guess if I start them next month they'll be in flower in June/July so thats not so bad after all! Have you grown them before Jon? Any pictures?

Yes, I grew them in 2008/09, but didn't save my photos of them. They weren't as high maintenance as "Chabaud Giant" carnations, but both required some staking to keep them upright. They probably would be better performers in your area Steven. They're really not meant to be grown here in South Florida (Zone 10). They're definitely worth giving a try in your zone.

(Zone 6a)

Ooo, how did you find the Chabaud Giants? Did they take as long to bloom? I think I tried them a long time ago, but they either died before they got outside or they didn't amount to anything.

Yeah, they took just as long to bloom. They required a lot of staking. I posted a photo of them near the top of this thread. The seeds are commonly available at Lowes/Home Depot. Carnations are just a plant you have to be real patient with. They do take their sweet time.

(Zone 6a)

They look really nice, but I should probably go with the ones that don't need so much staking.......I never stake in time so they'd probably all end up in the mud!

I've got some short perennial dianthus seeds too.....we actualy a number of different ones but one I'd like to start is called 'Snowdonia'. It's white and the blooms are fringed. The thing I like about perennials is they can be started any time spring or summer so theres not always as much rush.

That "Snowdonia" is one funky looking Dianthus. I've really taken a liking, this winter, to some of the slightly taller (6-9") dianthus. I didn't even know there were taller ones with pretty large sized blooms (2-3").

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Some of the ones I got in pots inside now are waining....I dont think they will make it to spring

Blossom, do you think its because they're annuals and there isn't much you can do to extend them or is it a lighting issue? What are some of the flowers that do very well for you while they are inside for the winter?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My impatiens and coleus are doing great indoors. The dianthus are biannual....they just might go though the ick dormant stage. TIme will tell.

Whats under lights are on very long day lighting... 6am to 10 and 12pm

My peppers lost thier leaves so I cut th etops off of them and thye still have some new growth on the truncks.. but I am kindof having my druthers that they will see spring too. Guess I best start some newbs.

It's good to hear that some things are doing great for you.....especially impatiens. I would have thought they'd be tougher to over winter. They just seem like very sensitive/tender flowers. My "Super Parfait Raspberry" Dianthus, went through a stage in December when they stopped blooming and didn't look all that great. I pruned them all back, removed the dead foliage and cut the spent flower stems back to the ground. It took about a month for them to regrow back and start blooming again. They're back into their blooming cycle so I'm glad I didn't give up on them and remove them.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Zone 6a)

I like your Super Parfait Raspberry Jon! You always have such nice pics. I've got a few kinds in the garden, unknowns from the dollar store, 'Velvet N Lace' and 'Siberian Blues'.

Blossom, Do you have a where its cool and dark you could out some of your dianthus where they could rest?

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Velvet N Lace and Siberian Blues from a DOLLAR Store??? Which one?

~Daniel

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

SW, no not really.. thjey are under lights and I really do not have a place to move them.

(Zone 6a)

I just got a no-name type from the dollar store. Pretty carnation type blooms in shades of pink/purple they made one bloom last year which I think got eaten off by some animal or other. I also have one called knappi yellow or something like that. Its perennial and supposed to make yellow flowers.

(Zone 6a)

here it is http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/209146/ I started it once before but it got killed by a squirrel.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Looks like I'll be potting up several varieties around the first of March.
Amazon Neon Purple
Amazon Neon Rose
China Pinks
Flashing Spires
Sooty
Yellow Harmony.

They're all growing well even in this cockeyed weather.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Helloooo! I WANT YELLOW!

(and any others too! hehehehe!)

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Mine looks more yellow(w/hint of green) than the ones I've seen on-line

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Wull, I still aint got that! LOL!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I never can find seeds on my yellow ones so I start them from divisons and cuttings

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

ok....gimme! LOL!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Will Sweet William Sooty Dianthus baratus reliably bloom the first year if started early indoors?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

BB
like I tell the grandkids when they say"I gimme" and "I want"..."Gimme died and I want ain't looking too good"....LOL....just kidding...ya know if I gots it...you wants it....you gets it.These plugs should be ready 'bout the time your spring arrives.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh thank you kind evil twin!!

Dianthus are biannuals so usualy bloom the second year, although some do the first.

(Zone 6a)

I found this that says with an early sowing it will flower first year http://www.mobot.org/gardinghelp/plantfinder/plant.asp?code=B515 but the other pages say it will flower second year.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks. I will seed it early and hope for blooms this year

I think it's possible for Dianthus to bloom in year one, but its definitely something you'd have to start in a greenhouse right about now. If my memory is correct I think I sewed Chabaud Giant Carnations approximately Nov 2008 and they began to bloom around May 2009. That would mean if you guys/gals sewed them Feb 1st they should start blooming by late July.

Jon

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks, better get those seeded soon then.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Marking my calender on those too!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

The yellow dianthus has been perennial for me as well as Sooty. The only 2 so far that have been. I thought Flashing Lights would be but once they bloom....they're gone.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I tried sooty last year by seed and it dint grow

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

What's up with you and da seeds?*G*

(Zone 6a)

Eeeek, carnations sowed in November bloomed in May? I better get my order in soon for Can Can Scarlet!

Yep, they were around 6 months and I think the seed pack reflected about the same number of days to maturity (180 days). LOL It could be worse. I've seen seed packs, for some flowers, say 365+ days from seed to maturity.

(Zone 6a)

So assuming I get them started sometime this month......

*thinking*

........they'll flower in July. Which should give a good 4 months of bloom. And maybe some of them will over winter which would be a bonus!

If you have the space and can do it soon, go for it. It can only increase the likelihood that they'll bloom year one. If they somehow grow faster, and start blooming earlier I don't think you'll be complaining about it! LOL

(Zone 6a)

HAHAHA, no I won't complain if they somehow bloom earlier. Even if they don't bloom till September but I like them I'll still be happy :)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

HAha! I got a lil snap o spring under me lights!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.