Dianthus for 2010 - Anyone?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Flashing Lights is an adorable little dianthus. Leaves are tiny,stay right on the ground in a tight clu*p. Bright red but not pri*ary red as I can see the blue in the but not burgundy or *aroon either. They are held high above the foliage on ste*s of about 3-4 inches. Just adoable. Only thing I can co*plain about are that they are biennal for *e and die as soon as theyre done bloo*ing so I always harvest seeds.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

At least you can grow them, and see them bloom as biennials Patty. Biennials never seem to make it past year one down here. I do have some Canterbury Bells that made it all the way through last summer and are still alive. I'm hoping and prayin they will bloom this coming spring. Fingers crossed.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Verbascu*s are a pill for *e. I grew oenother fre*ontiisp looks off)Blood Orange fro* seed this year...waited and wated for bloo*s and never got any even though I saw what looked like buds during the su**er.

That sucks. That's why I'm cautiously optimistic about Canterbury Bells.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, time will tell, I cant wait to start that dianthus.. Gads I am starting a pile of things this season...

Looks like you sent Red Texas star and Double white datura. I dont do daturas so I will offer that out,,,dont know what the texas bloom looks like.

Had canturberry bells, dont no more. The grass ate them

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Yeah.... Grass ate my Canturbury bells last time I grew them(3 years ago). I planted some this summer in a shady, sheltered place and several are developing normally....

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Is everyone doing ok on the length of this thread? LMK if I should start part 2

Well, looks like I got another dianthus bloomer in the office... that dianthus pot is a mixed bag...

If you go to my trade list... which is now doubling as my journal because I cant be all places at once... it has a plant search thingee on it specifically for my list. you put the name of the plant your looking for in it and click search and it will tell you if I have it...

Search dianthus and you will see all my babies of it there photos etc and descriptions.. as far as trading, please read the note at the beginning of the trade list.. I will update things as I can.

I gotta warn you though.. my trading right now is waaaay behind and so is the list as I am posting many pix right now of things from 2009 etc.

I was thinkin of you today Blossom. After my haircut I stopped at one of the larger Lowes in Ft Lauderdale. Everything was well stocked for the weekend. Lots and lots of dianthus. Only bought one plant....an "Asti Purple" Osteospermum (African Daisy).

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I had to go to Lowes for peat last night. Except their newest stock...which wasn't much...everything looked dismal...dismil?Danggit! I hate that the Geek Squard disappeared my spell check when they cleaned out the viruses.

Didn't get the new keyboard(luckily working this am) because the crowds were horrible. I'll limp along until after xmas.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

We dont have Lowes or Home Depots here.. Im stuck with Wallywherl unless I leave the territory too.. I dont like going to the big box stores andif I travel I go to other nursery places.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well...if I want GH supplies I have to travel like 60-70 miles round trip.We have super Wally World but they still don't have jack.

Got the kids their 2009 ornaments. Some really cute ones. Have the one grandson but they putting out some cute stuff for guys now so I got him a box of 4 glass globes that look like basketballs. He probably doesn't appreciated them at 16 but will when his older and I'm gone and he can say my Mimi got me these.

This message was edited Dec 4, 2009 12:33 PM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Awwww ! Best Im doing for Christmas is Im thinking of getting my oldest boy a new halter. If I die afore him, I will send him to you so you ken straighten is keester out! Hill be 21 soon and still biting the hands that feed him...lard knows I tried.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

So he's food aggressive. 've never had that problem with mine. I sat with them as pups at feeding time pet and talking to them and would remove there food if they growled. They mumble at each other when eating but I just give them a verbal warning and they settle down.

OOPS! Way OT

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Only on the furst bite then he gets popped in the mouth. My other two boys come up right. Gotta be one in every croud yano.

Now my girls, they is sumthin else. most of the time they are very nas and well behaved. Wull 'cept fer Jo, shes has some issues.. I think ima gonna have ta get her some Depends for Christmas.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

My older female use to bite when we fed her snacks...not a mean bit but a "let me get this before one of the other guts get it" so I don't hand out snacks unless everyone is in a calm state. Feeding during an excited state says to a dogs brain "if I act like a spaz,I get fed" so we want a state of mind that says" if I sit politely and quitely,I get a treat". Too many pet owners give treats without them being earned then can't imagine why their pets act the way they do.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My old man, hill bite too, but give him a slab o pork and taters and hes good to go! Wull unless I fergit his sauce. Gotta have that old hickory on it.Loves his honey with it too. Just kent figure out why he likes peanut butter on his pizza though now thats weird!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

is he pregnant?...LOL

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Who? 6"2"? Nah, just got one of them fetishes yano...

Just like me, chocolate and OJ.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, just found the dianthus to die for.. its called SIBERIAN BLUES
aka dianthus amurensis

DEAR SANTA,

Talk about being naughty and nice,
you been a reallllly baaaad boy
missing me all these years...hand
them over and
NO ONE GETS HURT!

YOU HEARD ME
TOY BOY,

LOAD UP THAT
DANGED SLEIGH
FULLLLLLLL
AND
BE QUICK ABOUT IT!

Amen, love Blossom!

PS _ And I aint leaving you no cookies and moo ever again until I get them.

So there, nah NAH.

I didn't know Santa grew plants at the North Pole. LOL I guess he grows em in the house like you do, in the winter Blossom. Too funny.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

its the kid in me! LOL!

Rebecca tol me there was a Santa Claws so I thought I better write him!

She said he had a summer house in Greenland!! LOL!

Besides that I lost about 6 house annuals today and need replacements! Im in mourning! Couple of my alysumms and a couple snaps look like they are done. I knew it it was too good to last too long.. Whimper...

I'm sorry to hear about your losses Blossom. I'm sure you did everything humanly possible to save them babies. I have a hard time saving my babies that end up on the "Intensive care plant table". All it will take is a couple of nice blooms and you'll perk right up again.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I ordered dianthus Idea Violet from SHS because in their picture it looks purple but I just found it in Park Seed catalog and it looks more dark pink....I gotta a feeling I'm gonna be TICKED!

I had Siberian Blue at one time but like most dianthus for me,they're more biennal or short lived perennials.

Had Tiny Rubies in the rock garden for about 3 yrs before it pooped out on me. I should have propagated it so it would still be around but it was back in the days when I beleive it when the label said"perennial".It was a little darling. Need to get some more.

I know what you mean about the photos of blooms you see in catalogs and with inline sites. Personally, I try to find several photos of it, if possible, by googleing it. If it's rare or really new that may not be possible.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

yeah,I'm going to have to"bing" the dianthus and the Vinca First Kiss Blueberry as I purchased both because of SHS pictures so now I'm suspect of what color the vinca might actually be.

I have Vinca "First Kiss Blueberry" seeds,but am waiting until next spring to try them. I'm pretty sure they will not be as dark as what seed catalogs are depicting. I'll bet they'll be more of a dark pink/lavender color based on seeing photos of it in trial gardens.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Just "binged" it........ARRGGGHHHHH!!!!!! I'm gonna quit trusting catalog pictures!!!!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Nothing like the brochure.. I hate that too.

I've learned to expect that now. If anything looks too good to be true, ya gotta do some cross referencing for photos/information.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I hate it, but have learned to expect it too because there is nothing like seeing the real thing to make for the final opinion.two dimensions versus three.. hmmm.. different perspectives and being an avid photographer, I know all pictures are not perfect!

Nothing like seeng a field trialed plant vs a brochure!

Blue, purple and yellow seem to be the most difficult hues to get correctly, but then that may just be my camera. And brochures fade or are often too intense on true color.

Blue is one of the most mystifying colors in nature.

I learned on thing.. that Ozenda orange mum I got, well, I was sure the plants were mislabeled, but what I did not know was the color onthe label was correct, it was just not correct in the color stage too that the actual plant was in. The label said nothing about the color being yellow at day of opeing bloom. The color was yellow on that day, but latter the color went to the orange. SO.. ok, whuda thunk!

That's very true about capturing the coloration at just the right time in a photo. Some flower blooms can change pretty dramatically after the first few hours. I see that all the time with echinacea, hybrid hibiscus, morning glories, some bearded iris, etc, etc.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well Jon, I got the dianthus Arctic Fire and the carnation mix Chabaud from you today! Awesome!

You are going to have to share your secrets on how to do the carnations here!

I am going to be very busy logging in my planting dates to get a lot of variety going this year! Thanx!

Blossom, I totally agree. Blue, purple and yellow are the hardest to get right. I had quite a bit of difficulty with trying to get a pic of Datura stratamontium var. Tatula this year. The slight lavender stripes are hard to get in focus, lol!

Here's what my "Chabaud Giant" carnations looked like in 2008. They may be a biennial where you are. They took very long to bloom from seed here. I would guess it was around 150-180 days. I'm gonna be honest with ya. They were pretty high maintenance for me. They produced quite a few spicy scented blooms but the stems were floppy and I constantly had to stake everything to make them appear upright. Perhaps my soil and/or ph was not quite right???? Not sure.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dont know! You were supposed to tell me! LOL! I want to avoid leggy carnation stems!

Gorgeous Carnations... I bought some Chaubad Red... hope it will be good!

They're just floppy. Its this full compact plant with these tall sturdy stems. Unfortunately the stems don't seem to be strong at the base. I'm wondering if there's anyone out there that grows them with upright sturdy stems, and how they do it???

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

As I recall in my hort training, when we planted the carnations in the GH we had to string them up. I would think that it is a fertility issue or the plant just does not have the strength to hold its head up so that was why we tied them. There are other varieties of more sturdienss in the stem that are grown for florists, but they more than likely are commercial varieties not available to the backyard gardener. Most flowers grown for commercial cutting are not raised in this country.

Yeah, I know. From around 2000-2003 I lived, part of the year, in The Netherlands. On one occasion my landlord took me to the flower market, in the wee hours of the morning. This is where the cut flowers were purchased and immediately put onto planes and flown all over the world. They sure do grow tons of flowers in The Netherlands, and its just not tulips. Speaking of tulips, you could buy 100 fresh cut tulips from around Feb-April for no more than $8.00. Now that's a good deal.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My house dianthus are leggy.. I just started them on THRIVE so we shall see if ther is any difference!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.