Dianthus for 2010 - Anyone?

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Hope so Blossom. If that doesn't work, perhaps a couple of pinches may help them fill in.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

They are getting due.. they just put out a little bloom.. nothing fantastic, but a little! WIll pinch them in a week or so...

That's alright. A little dianthus when there's snow outside is a good thing. At least, after 2 years, I finally figured out when to have dianthus in the yard. It's a winter winter winter thing. Makes me wonder why I sometimes see them for sale in early summer. They don't work out at that time of the year here.

Way too hot here today. A record high of 87 degrees. Not what I want in December.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well we are running around barefoot in the snow! Whooohoo! Polarbearefooting! Love it! The first snows are always the best for that!

87 degrees does not thrill me a bit. Sounds like too much sweat!
E-YECK!

Jon, after watching FL's weather for the last week.. and after what you say about all the lightening there, There aint no way this two legged lightning attractor woud be caught dead in that state! No no no! Not gonna happen. I knew there was another reason why I never wanted to go there.. just could never put my finger on it until today! Nope, Im not going to go there just to get Zapped. Been zapped enough up here!

Well, dianthus fans.. Merry Christmas!

Heres my December in house blooms!

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful pic of Dianthus... A great refresher from the whiteness of Winter!

LOL Blossom. I'm freezing my butt off in NY State right now. I like it for a few days, but can't deal with it all winter long. I'd get bored out of my mind when you can't do anything outside for 4-6 months. The lightning thing if FL is only during the summer, for the mostpart.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Only takes once with a real gooooood BAD tickle with lightning.. Been there done that! Escaped that one barely.. and did feel the heat and sparks and burn. Want nuthing to do with getting any more. ....Had some minor burns and 12 times almost hit in a none lightning zone... hmmm no way is this kid going to a known zone!... But wow I was energized for days! Nope not going there! Not playing with fire. NAH ah! Besides that at above 70, that is a tad warm for me.. I would not do well in Florida. Been to New York and hate the east coast. So no real estate brochures from that side either. Nope not gonna happen. Been thinking about Australlia though. I think me and the roos would get along fine!

I'm from NY But I wouldn't consider it the east coast. It's just a small town in the middle of the state. The back yard is woods and critters. I don't go outside in FL when there's lightning. It's just not a good idea. Almost all the lightning is between May-Sept.

I guess we're just both happy where we are right now Blossom. That's all that matters, right?

Jon

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, jon, im gonna agree with ya there!

Right now I am enjoying a most peaceful Christmas.. the grass is green! The house is warm, our bellies are full and the snow and ice melted, the critters are snug in their shelter, the dog and the hub are curled up content snoozing, Chritsmas songs playing low on the radio and thats all I can ask for. And nothing more...All to the tune of OHoly Night.

Well maybe there is one thing I could ask and that is that if every day could be this way. Utterly PEACEFUL. Thaaat would be glorious.

Well, Peace on Earth, Good will toward ALL!

Would it be nice if this crazy world could take the Spirit of Christmas beyond the seasonal cease fires and hustle and bustle and we all could have pure harmony every day of the year in every corner of this big ole world??

You and yours and EVERYONE have a very nice one! Beyond the day and into the New Year.

Amen Blossom. Simple things and peaceful times are a very good thing. My parents home was full of 9 people and one dog for Christmas and all went well. Had a nice meal and slept if off by the fireplace. It was a white Christmas with just a couple inches of snow on the ground. Had a call from back home in Florida telling me all the plants are well watered and doing good. Good to hear y'all been getting some nice December blooms on your "inside" flowers. Very good thing!!!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

It's cold all this week. I was hoping to get out in the yard a bit but anything under 55 is too cold for me. So I'll play with the housplants. Looks like my candycorn vine has buds on it and I'm waiting on some very fat seed pods from one of my epsicias(that doesn't look right...Flame Violet) to "come on ALready"...they've been growing fat since late summer early fall. Geesh! Worst than the last 3-4 weeks of a pregnacy..waiting....waiting...Waiting!

Had a few flakes of snow Christmas Eve but not much and none stuck.

My DD and her kids couldn't get here for Christmas because her eldest couldn't get off so Christmas with them will be this coming weekend. We'll do the black-eyed peas,cabbage and corn beard for good luck for the new year. I'll make a big pot of chicken and dumplings for the kids.

Poppies and dianthus from early Dec. sowing sprouting in the greenhouse.

P

Sounds nice Patty. Nice to hear you've got some seeds popping in the greenhouse already. You're getting a big time head start on things. It warmed up into the 40's here in Upstate NY and all the snow melted. Even though its probably not the right time of the year to do it...I snipped and dug out a couple of bearded iris rhizomes and will take them back to FL on the plane with me....plant them and see what happens. LOL They're in for temperature shock, that's for sure.

Jon

hmmmm...
One iris planted in front of the Dining Room window lost all of it's leaves right after early, hard frost. It seems to be growing back now, really weird. All the others irises are behaving "normally"lol.

LOL Don't know if the rhizome I dug up at mom and dads will grow and bloom soon, but it will probably think spring came early when it moves from NY to FL. Iris success in FL is "hit or miss".

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

jon, the iris will probably do fine. You can dig those things up and let them dry out for months and they will bounce back.. I have some poking up through 2-3 inches of snow... now talk about confused!!!Good luck on that.

Patty (LOL!) >>>Good luck on those Flame Violets. I used to have one called Chocolate Soldier.. loved it to death.. literally... ! (RIP!)

Looks like some of my dianthus is waining.. I think the dry heat is finally getting to my annuals in the house...

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

My flame violets act way better than their african violet cousins. I think I have 4-5 named varieties and one of my own OP seed grown variety. Less tempermental than AVs.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

OK... to die for... CHOMLEY FARRAN -

Burpees exclusive...$11.50 per plant...

www.burpees.com

I hate mail order cats when they do that!

Oh, my... I don't think I have seen a flower that nice... I am going to be looking for it...

I used Google Images to see>

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=CHOMLEY%20FARRAN&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Burpee takes to long to load on the 26.4 kbs connection. lol

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! dang dialup !!!!

Ooooh ya ought to try cataloging the DL's I got to do.. gerrrgh! Dial up drive ya nuttier than a fruitcake!

LOL! Well Chomley is a Burpees exclusive so you wont find it elsewheres but through them!

Aaaaaaah ......... the dreaded mailorder for such a lovely.. and then theres the shipping charges.. OY!

And the sneaky lil elves that smash the parcels before they get to the door! LOL! Burpee, ya better wrap that thang good!

I had "Chomley Farran" back in 2007. It still hadn't bloomed by the summer of 2008 so I dug it up and put something else in. Maybe y'all will have better luck with it.

Jon

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm not looking. I said I was done buying seeds for the year and found myself on Plant World Seeds webpage looking for growing info yesterday and by the time I got out I had racked up another $50.00 in seed order. So hiding my cc wrapped up in an envelope in the back of the desk drawer accomplished nothing. I'd probably be like that girl using her high dollar shoe to chip her cc out of that chuck of ice she froze it in to stop shopping...I need an intervention.*Sigh*

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I woulda if youda sent it to me Jon! LOL! But then probably not, I am a cereal killer yano. I can kill a good plant as well as a bad plant, with the exception of my prized poison ivy. Old Goliath has a stay of execution. As long as ol' Goliath dont bother me, I will not bother him.

My dianthus in the house are waining. I cut them back again, but I think the long period of dryness now in the house is getting to all my annuals that I brought in. Owell. We shall see what lives and what dies. It was nice while they lasted.

Slowly I turn and slowly I toss and slowly I start sumthin new!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Will someone send patty a pair of scissors... dang!

Um, well, maybe ya better not.. shes too desperate right now and ya just kent do that to a feller cereal killer!

And no, I will not pot up any of Goliaths babys for you no matter how much you beg! The children do not leave the farm.

Der n girl wants ALL the plants!

I can see why you're flipping through catalogs right now. Took some with me to NY over Christmas and was flipping through the catalogs to pass the time on the snowy/cold days.

Maybe thar dying because they're annuals Blossom. I highly doubt you're a serial plant killer. No no no. You're doin the best ya can with those dianthus.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,I needed some more aquilgeia Sunburst Ruby and Burnished Rose seeds since I didn't get any germination last year and I can't find seed source in states. Never say die...I'll keep trying until I get at least one plant. Took me 6-8 trades and seed purchases of Roman Bronze before I got ONE plant.

Thumbnail by bigred
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Jon. now thats a cereal killer! And boy is thaaaat gorgeous P!

Oh yeah, I no, they probably are dying cuz their annuals....so sad to see them go.....

You better tie patty down while I handcuff her to Goliath.. shes been a baaaaad girl and well, you dont wanna see what she is gonna have withern on her vine. errrrgh~ Its creepy and disgusting and...... and........ and......... oh, just dont go there. She probaly has them started already in her crawl space! LOL! PLUMBBBB
E_VIAL SHE IS!

Have you tried T&A ? they usually got some good seed P?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

OooooH Noooooooo,I'm highly alergic to PO.

I heard Patty's New Years resolution was to cut back on her seed addiction. LOL How long do ya think that New Years resolution is gonna last Blossom?? Maybe til Jan 2nd?????

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well patty, I found that finger gourd you was hankering on..and punkin cheecks, its in reimers.... along with all those other nasty vial plants you were talking on.. except Im cornfused.. which hairy balls are you talking? The gomphocarpus or sumthin else? I still think the hedgehog thingees would look rad! NOW THATS E_VIAL! But then two bloody red beets would werk jest as fine.

And...... and..... and instead of the burdhaus gourds..
go with the dina-sewer gourd.. they look more aged
and drooopy! Now that would be a great hoot!

Still looking fer that columbine..

Ooooh Jon, tie her up again.. shez being baaaaad!

I want Chabaud.. Giants PLEZ! LOL!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Naaaah Jon, its allll over but the crying! She dun 'dicted herself ta death!

With her its more like a fetish!

And P, dont mess yer keyboard, yuno what hap-Ned last time.. yer M quit werking.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm trying this lil beauty from PWS too.
Resolution are made for breaking..HA!

Thumbnail by bigred

What are you supposed to do with all them gourds??? I mean thar not good eatin. LOL

Ya got Chabaud Giants Carnation seeds Blossom. I know ya do. Yous better go check yer seeds))). I think you might have the "Candy Cane" and "Fruit Smoothie" zinnia seeds also.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

yeah, I no, just want more!! LOL! Im a glutton of punishment on them. And here I have not even started sowing them....

Hey, jon, have you tried doing lisanthus? New thread going.. whaddayano?

Dangit Patty, QUIT SHOWING THAT PANK STUFF! Ya heyar!!!! And dangit you and them thar ambadexterous feet.. Jon, she can still use a credit card and a camera with them. You forgot to hand cuff them....shes hurting Goliath! BAAAAD JON BAAAAAAD! Dang those body parts of hern!

Carefull now, shes hankering to start a nasty new thread. I see her nose twitching..her eyeballs are glaring.. shes got that um peeping tom look to them.......CAREFUL.. Carefull....... it will get us all konged out of here.. im warning you, every living last one of us will go into none existance....Dave will have to put a special ban on it for sure. carefull carefull carefullllll!

Um what gourds jon, I dunno what yer talking about! LOL! I ate the candy cane and the fruit smoothie! LOL! Oops, yamean I was sposed to plant those???!

(Yo P, I double dog dare you.. nannner naneer neener!! :P

Well thars a Florida expression that may help someone stop spending the moolah. If y'all just had "alligator arms" then they'd be too short to reach into the purse or wallet!!!!

I hope you be boiling dem gourds before yous be eatin em. Thar too hard to eat au natural.

Yes, I've tried Lisianthus before Blossom, with mixed success. The taller varieties I can't seem to get to rebloom after the initial blooms. The only ones that do pretty well down here are the "Florida Series" of Lisianthus. They are pretty short though. I did order some "Cinderella Lime" and "Cinderella Yellow" lisianthus seeds from Parks and will try those when they come in the mail.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I like that limey one!

Alligaotr arms.. man you have not met Patty have ya.. jeez, thaaatalligator complexion and a tail to boot! Ya reallly gotta watch her tail Hand cuff that thang to Goliath... it can use the CC just as good as her feet! LOL!Yano, that alligator complexion is not as fair as that nice crocagator complexion like on my side of the family. And oOMG! her yeller false teeth.. unlike my pearl waats that are still real, but then that is about the only way you can tell us two apart.. its her yeller teeth.. she can pop them out like no bidys business!

Oh oh, someones hollering more dirt for the pool.. oops.. you was not sposed to know that. its a surprize! LOL!

LOL Blossom. Y'all would be in for a real surprise when you try filling in the pool. "Jaws" (my pet alligator) and "Pete" and "Repeat" (my pet gecko lizards) would probably meet you at the door. They wouldn't take too kindly to thar "play area" bein filled in with dirt!!!

"Jaws" has some wonderful "pearly whites". You should see em. He flosses every day with palm tree leaves.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

BB,
Stop giving away my secerts!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

RED! dint see ya crawling there! Dang yer slippery, got out of the cuffs already huh? Well I give up.. I heard your credit line has been extended. LOL!

Well anyway, jon, I heard if you pull the navel plug on Jaws he goes flying around that thar swimming hole like a nascar on water!

As fer them other two cameleans, they are at work selling insurance and by the time they get back, the makeover will be all done but the crying!

This wont hurt a bit.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well so much for funnin!

Marking my calender 4/19 to direct so the Sweet Willies.

Why can t I get enough of that seed?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.