What's for dinner?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think we did this last year???
Since not much bbqing going on anymore.

Tell me what's for dinner?

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hubby went to go get the pizzas(1 plain for the kids and 1 white pie with garlic and extra ricotta) since I'm not in the mood to cook.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Was out all day, picked up a plate of Sushi. Unagi and tuna.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

A slice of 1" thick Kingfish, sauteed in olive oil, dressed with scallions in a melted lemon- butter sauce, along with seasoned french fries and a watercress & cucumber salad along with a warm Portuguese bread roll. (I'm cooking)

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Everything sounds great! I'd like to have a sushi, pizza, kingfish tapas dinner. We're having homemade pho. We can BBQ and use our outdoor pizza oven year 'round but we're working on the end of season garden veggies. Then time to move on to Q.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Yum! WC, I hope there's leftovers, 'cause I'm headed there now!

We had chicken breasts baked in soy sauce with green peppers, yukon gold potatoes and broccoli.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Chiming in from Newark DE hotel room...

*fresh mozzarella with basil
*kalamata, Sicilian, and Moroccan olives
*duck liver pate with truffle oil
*variety of breads
*Douglass Hills Cabernet Sauvignon,Shiraz, and Artesa Elements red

Not bad for roadies...

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Laurel, had to look up "pho" sounded good until the anise, I can't figure how that would taste.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOVE fresh mozzarella and basil.

I think I had pate once a long time ago and I can't even remember if I liked it or not.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

We would've been staying more in central NJ, till the traffic jam and map-reading mishap landed us in the middle of some Philly suburb with flashing lights, detours, and finally banished to I-95 southbound to escape.

But at least we had good vittles packed (that's Marianne) with wine (me).

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Being stuck in Philly is never a good thing.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow - all that was 'packed', VV?? Cool. Like it all, but would hesitate on the liver pate.

Friday night is usually 'find whatever you can', or we order. I do the cooking Monday - Friday.

Hope Willie sees this and returns!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

vv that is a lot of wine! would pass on the liver pate as well - not a fan of liver.

wife has been away since wednesday to a conference in Oregon and flying in this afternoon - she has turned the tables on me and requested a special dinner tonight like i use to do when i was traveling - home made t-sauce, spaghetti w/chicken parm - sauce is in now - just finished the big clean up and destroyed any evidence that may have gotten me in trouble.

if i had been thinking i would have gone to Oregon with her and checked out some jm gardens

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I always liked liver, but don't eat it much because it's the body's filter.

Clearly you weren't thinking Bill! My brother lives in Oregon. He thinks Portland would be a good place for me to move to.

Thomaston, CT

I would have liked to make something simple like a pot of stew, but DH rebelled---he made me buy a standing rib roast---it's due to come out of the oven in an hour, along with baked potatoes, summer squash casserole & butter lettuce salad---no dessert---I figure the grandkids will have enough candy to share!

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Harper, considering what's been done to that steer before your purchase, how much worse could a little liver be? Look at it like the alcohol content of various spirits. Don't personally care for "lite" beer or tenderloin.
Robin, a pot of stew takes more time to prep than a standing rib. Hope you get lots of treats!
Jen, the star anise give pho an exotic, floral aroma rather than a flavor. It's that mystery ingredient that makes you wonder what's going on. We have a huge Asian community. Pho shops are all around the city. For $5.95 medium size (always) you get enormous bowls, about half gallon size, of aromatic broth, noodles, vegetables and random animal parts of your choosing. You also get a plate of fresh Thai basil, cilantro and chiles. Various soys and hot pepper sauces are on the side as condiments. Such a great idea followed me home. Maybe I should have a pho cart in NYC?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sounds great Robin.

Oh yeah, lots of Asians in the area??? What's attracting them there? Down where my parents were in Cornelia there was a huge influx of Mexicans came looking for work at the chicken factory.

I had a fast meal of perogies tonight.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Leftovers tonight. Oh, and candy.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

for the party today... we are deep frying a turkey.. I do the prep and Randy does the frying

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Homemade Beef Stew and fresh rolls and honey wheat bread is what awaited the hunters when they came out of the woods. Desert was something new.........

http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/triple-layer-pumpkin-spice-pie-107943.aspx

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that looks good Pixie... I made the pumpkin looking spice cake last night for today .. the mold makes it a pumpkin shape... and going to make a blueberry pie today

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh and don't forget the body part punch!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

YUM! LOL

That pie looks good Pixie! How did it turn out?

Allison, I had fried turkey for the first time this past Thanksgiving. It was srumptious! How do you do yours? I want to try cooking one, do I need to buy the fryer contraption thingy?

Maypop, I wish there were more diversified neighborhoods here, like in New York and where you live. Makes for more interesting food fare and culture in general. Everything here is the same ole strip malls with the same ole fast food franchises. I have to drive out of my way to get real food of any variety. I would so love a pho shop here. There is an Asian market not too far, and I love browsing in there and wish I knew how to cook with the delicious looking foods found in there.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Jada,
All 3 daughters liked it, DH and brother did too so I guess the pie was hit! lol
Oh and it was fast and soooooooo simple. ^_^

Thanks Pixie! That recipe is going on my refrigerator to make soon.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yeah, Jada, I guess closer to DC you'd find all kinds of food.

Sounds good. Saved a copy of that pie recipe.

Body part punch???

Defrosting a chuck roast for dinner or maybe tomorrow if it doesn't defrost in time(I forgot to take it out of the freezer yesterday)

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Homemade veggie soup. Smelled wonderful yesterday. Gotta go heat some up now. YUMMM!!!

My wife will be trying a recipe we saw on Giada. Pasta with meatballs made with chicken and fresh mozzarella.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Pot roast tonight, (beef rump roast), sauteed first in light olive oil, garlic cloves and rosemary, then slowly cooked in a cast iron pot with onions, celery, potatoes, carrots, Baby Portabella mushrooms; in red wine, crushed tomatoes and chicken broth. Served with fresh, warm Italian bread. (I cook dinner, 6 days/ week)

Yum. Love pot roast!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Victor, let us know how that turns out.

WC that sounds sooooo good.

Hubby changed my plans, he wants chili, ugh.

Thomaston, CT

All of those meals sound yummy---I'd love to try the pho! We had a buffet up at the farm to celebrate my GD's B-day---I brought Swedish meatballs--we have lots of roast beef left---guess I'll turn part of it into soup---bought some leeks, since I am too far from Bill!

Leeks, yummy. I found a nice recipe last year that had me planting leeks. They never got edible size but I use the recipe and some store bought every chance I get.
Chicken cheese meatballs, and swedish, are making me hungry..

Thanks Victor! Looks easy enough.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

what was the recipe for leeks jadajoy? We only have about 60 left.

wha
I cant find the printed version (it used to be on my frig) but I altered this recipe to my taste anyway and dont really use measured amounts, I'm kind of a "it looks right and tastes good" cook. This is from memory:

In a soup pot, heat olive oil and brown ham pieces or bacon or a seasoning meat of your choice then throw in stale bread cubes and leeks. Saute 5-10 mins until leeks are soft. Add 1/4 cup lemon juice and beef broth with sea salt and pepper, red wine, and cook down til thick. Cover with parmesan cheese.

Here is another. This one uses other veggies too but I like just leeks in mine.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Creamy-Leek-Soup-238442

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Jada yes you do need a fryer thingie... and just keep in mind it is very very dangerous if you are using a propane one.. if you spill a small amount of oil over the edge of the pot.. you can have a 20 foot fireball shoot out of the pot.. we have been doing it for a long time and take a lot of care when we use it... turkey has to be completely dry.. heaven forbid there is ice left in the bird.. but here is my process

with the turkey in the package I put the turkey in the pot .. fill it with water to cover the bird.. take the turkey out and mark with tape where the fill line should be.. so when you put the oil in you shouldn't have an over flow

24 hours before I brine the turkey - the ratio is 1 cup kosher salt - 1 cup dark brown sugar - 1 gallon of water.... overall to cover a bird in my cooler it takes 3 gallons of that mix... we had an 18 pound one this time.. in the brine you can add anything to flavor it... I used 6 oranges quartered- 3 lemons quartered - thyme - rosemary - oregano - and a few bay leaves.. I remove a shelf in the spare fridge we have to fit the cooler in... but if you can't do that it can stay outside with ice.. just add extra salt & sugar to make up for the melting... OR we froze water in disposable containers and just threw them in the cooler to keep everything the way it should be

dry the turkey before doing anything.... inside & out.. you can bring it to room temp if you want to be extra safe.. and another important tip.. lower the bird in very very slowly.. sometimes the oil wants to shoot out the middle of the cavity .. slower is better.. Randy has to do it.. I could never hold that big thing steady for that long.. if you want to go the safer route.. they do sell electric fryers .. no flame less of a chance of a fire... but you can only put 10 pound turkeys or less in that one.. we find that they take too long to recover after dropping the bird in.. and will only use it when there is bad weather the day of a party... if it is raining forget using propane.. open the lid to get it in or out.. water gets in the oil and you are set for a deadly burn

:::have a kitchen fire extinguisher ready:::: very important!!!!

need lots of peanut oil.. we usually pick up two of the big jugs at HD.. but after the little prep it only took us 54 mins to cook an 18 pound bird.. just a mere 3 mins per pound.. if you did a breast it would be around 15 - 20 mins.. can't beat that part!! under 15 pounds is ideal .. Randy just thinks bigger is better and always wants a big one

we have done injections to the bird with teriyaki.. and put a rub like Emerials.. but I think the brine beats all that.. although they are both really good.. when using a rub sometimes it comes out really black looking .. but it tastes great.. we didn't mind that no one wanted to eat the skin but a few.. more for us!!! we knew it was the best part.. if you like well done bacon.. this is better!!!!

here is a website with photos
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/index.php?option=com_resource&controller=article&category_id=223&article=19903

I would love to taste one. Too scared to ever try it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.