What's for dinner?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Alton Brown made a set up on a ladder and pulleys to lower the bird in at a safe distance.. the whole set up did make me laugh.. but it looked pretty good.. you will have to try to come to one of our parties if you don't want to do it yourself.. I am usually turkeyed out by christmas.. even our friends want us to do one when we go visit

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Thanks Allison.
It sounds a little dangerous but worth it. I'm not feeding that many people so an electric one would work ok for me. I just couldnt believe how delicious it was. Juicy and not greasy at all. A big change from the usual dried out bird. The brine mixture would make it even more tasty. I have a spare frig too (it mostly holds seeds) so I could pre soak it no problem. Think I'll go for it. Last year I bought the bird and someone else cooked it. Be nice to do it myself.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Wow - traveling show?!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

when I am doing a chicken or small turkey I use my pasta pot to brine.. so much easier.. if you are doing the electric one.. remember smaller is better.. it takes a while to get the oil back up to temp after dropping the bird... can get oily if it takes too long.. and that one we have used in the garage if it's raining.. left the door open to get the smoke out.. it sure is smokey / steamy

Great idea on the pasta pot! I would definitely set it up near the back door. Gonna start looking around for one soon. I know HD had them last time I was in there.

Victor, it is a real treat. Its very juicy and tender. Where you live you could probably find someone or a restaraunt that does it for a fee.

Oh yea, Popeyes sells them around the holidays. I tried them one year. They come frozen and already cooked in cajun and regular flavors. It wasnt as good as fresh thou. The cajun one was a little too salty for my taste.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was wondering how popeyes did that.. the HD stopped selling fat fryers here.. not sure if that is everywhere or not.. might have to look online

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

those fryers can be very dangerous - easy to knock over - we went to a barbecue once and they had a few set up on tables for steamers,, one fell over and boiling water went all over my wife - had some pretty bad burns that fortunately healed did not leave any marks - would hate to think if it had oil in it.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree, I’ve never owned a deep fryer of ANY size, - too dangerous for my taste. Don’t use pressure cookers either, just not worth it.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

wc i got burned by a pressure cooker this year although my own fault - extra careful now

I have done some research online and find that yes, it can be very dangerous. You really need to know what you're doing like Allison and her hubby. There are stories of people burning down their houses trying this. I think the manufacturers are aware of this too and so are making more safer products.

Pressure cookers have come a long way since the old days and are harmless now. I use my electric one all the time and its great!

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail?manual_cm_sp=FASTNAV-_-SRCH-_-NEXT

I am a gadget junkie (especially kitchen appliances) so I ordered this fryer which has favorable reviews. I'll let you know how it works:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JM1ZMY/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p86_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1M5X22R1H1ABSR425R9P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Allison, I think you can order from Popeyes online. But I really want to make my own. My HD had a set-up last time I went in, near the door, some special on the propane fryers, I didnt stop to look just noticed they had them. Too complicated for me. I just want a safe indoor fryer to try to make a couple of breasts for the holidays. Trying to stay away from fried foods thou these dont taste fried at all.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

so sorry to hear about your wife's burns Bill... one of the reasons we won't buy the kits they sell... the bases are too small .. the pots are too thin... burners are garbage... buying each component separate is the key.. I look for a base that's wide and is riveted.. don't want a screw coming loose.. if there is any sign of rust forming.. it gets tossed and a new one bought.. as long as you don't leave the thing outside.. it will last years

Jada I am so with you on being a gadget junkie.. that looks like a nice fryer.. even though it says 14 pounds.. I would stick with something smaller... the heat will recover faster.. nice having the filter for the fumes and having the tap drain does help.. it might have a filter built in.. but I don't see it in the description.. might want to look into a filter for the oil if you plan on using it more than once.. we have one that has a battery pump and a coffee filter looking thing on the end.. HD usually has them.. looks like a kerosene pump.. we will keep the used oil 3 months or 4 uses max.. it can go rancid .. cool dark storage is best

Thanks Allison, I'll check out the oil filter. I plan on using it a few times for the holiday and then ditching the oil. I cant wait to get it!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am sure you are going to fry everything like we did

LOL! Probably:-)

Thomaston, CT

I like my baked turkey, but admit I've never tried fried. No cooking tonight, DH & I went out for lunch---even though I just had soup & half a sandwich, I feel like a salad tonight---DH took half of his burger home, so that's his dinner.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hubby did a smoked one 2 years man was that good, depending on our plans he may be doing that again this year.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice thing about having a party... is leftovers!!!

Cool!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

had some leftover chicken jambalaya.. nice to take the chill out

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Love jambalaya!!!

Had chuck roast and tried new blue cheese mashed potatoes...blue cheese was too strong, I hate ruining mashed potatoes.

I love garlic mashed!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

That's what I usually make.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Been on the road from there to here and catching up on a favorite topic (what's for dinner). I built a combo firepit/place a few weeks ago, at Maypop, and posted photos elsewhere. DH only helped with the footings on a rocky hillside. Then I made jambalaya to celebrate two days of extreme feats of stone. We were able to enjoy an autumn sunset, the bats swooping overhead to catch bugs near the firelight and cool mountain air in the garden. Ahh, heaven.
Laurel

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Very nice, Laurel

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Flowerjen. Sorry about your potatoes though. I've had blue cheese that's too salty, but never too stinky. The family plans outings when I buy gorgonzola.

We met up with a DG orchid foeum friend in Central FL today, spent hours shopping wholesale nurseries and had lunch at a place called the Wood Shed, a local meat and two. The meatloaf, fried okra and slaw were great, but the canned brown gravy, smothering my slab of very homey meatloaf, brought back childhood school cafeteria nightmares that extended to every other insult suffered in those years.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

looks great Laurel

Thomaston, CT

I'd love to try fried okra, Laurel---can't get any around here, though---maybe in the cities. Tonight it's leftover roast beef over noodles, carrots from the garden, & a salad---putting fennel & orange peppers in the salad.

Nice setup Laurel! Looks like a perfect spot to fry a turkey :-)

Umm Robin...to me roast beef always seems to taste better the next day.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Tonight is prabably 'scrounge' as DD and I do barn chores tonight. That means find whatever you can in the cupboards, hee hee.

I'll be making one of my favorite quick pasta sauces tonight - alla ceci.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

pork lion here - need to think about what to do with it.

Eat it?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

yeah i'm leaning that way :)

meant what to make with it.

I like something on the sweet side with pork.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

might just take the easy way out and heat up a can of baked beans and add a little molasses to them. i'm beat from outside today.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Making meatloaf tonight. Help!!! What goes with meatloaf?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mashed taters

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Yes! Well, I won't mash them. I chopped up some red new potatoes and boiled 'em. Left the skins on. For veggies I'm sauteeing mushrooms with spinach and tomatoes.

Thomaston, CT

Yum---meatloaf is a fav of mine! Tonight it's an omelet--cheddar & scallion---had a temp cap put in at dentist---2hours there, & cannot have anything crunchy or chewy or too hot or cold! What does that leave? The roast beef was tasty, Jada.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.