What's for dinner?

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Tonight looks like hamberger strogonoff over rice. Quick and easy as DH is working on the truck.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Grilled pork chops

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Fixed dinner early today as I have a late class. Made spaghetti topped with a mix of fresh tomatoes, parsley, parmagean cheese, and garlic dipping oil. With it I had some leftover crab salad with Italian bread and tea.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Try Rachel Ray's sauce with garbanzos - it is delicious! And fast. Everyone here loves it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_34449_RECIPE-PRINT-FULL-PAGE-FORMATTER,00.html

What!!! She copied my recipe!! (except for the peas ,wine, thyme and peppers) :-)

Thanks Victor, I'll give it a try, I like Rachel Ray.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

chicken something here - maybe mexican with refried beans mixed with salsa

Thomaston, CT

Loved the spaghetti recipe, Jada, but crab? Not for me! I can just about choke down a tuna sandwich. Pasta fagioli here tonight.

Ground turkey in some way.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

flank steak - home made steak fries - mushrooms and asparagus or broccoli

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh Robin, one of my favorites!! Today would be a good day for it, snowed all day.

I love pasta fagioli.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Me too with a loaf of hot bread. ^_^

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Going out tonight with a women's group from church, hubby went to get pizza because he couldn't decide what he wanted.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I'm not cooking tonight! Yaaay! DH is making broiled chicken and I don't know what else. Last night was my gym class so I made grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato and a pickle and minestrone soup. Easy!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

DH made pork ribs, rice and corn tonight. He's a great cook.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Seasoned sweet potatoes, caribbean jerk chicken, baked potaotes (for the fussy ones who don't like sweet) and a garden salad.

Thomaston, CT

Date night---heading out to our fav little restaurant, The Goose & the Gander---fitting, somehow! The chicken sounds good---I like different chicken recipes.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think we're getting Wendy's tonight...per son's request.

I have a taste for pancakes, but dont have any pancake mix.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

For each cup flour add one tsp baking powder, one quarter tsp baking soda, one Tbs sugar and a pinch of salt (optional). I mix up batches in those Ziploc and Glad containers, give them a shake and then store. Use buttermilk to make "pancake" consistency if you want buttermilk cakes. You can also use a mix of yogurt and milk for the same buttermilk flavor. Just milk will give you more bland pancakes. Pancakes are really easy and don't need a mix. You can put together those few simple ingredients mentioned above and make your own mix to have on hand.
Laurel

Wow! Thanks Laurel.I was wondering what folks did before mix was sold. Off to mix up a batch!
Joyce

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh I hate reading about all these great meals. It makes me hungry.
I just got a small frozen venison roast. What's an easy way to prepare it? There's no fat whatsoever and I don't want to dry it out.

Simply braised in red wine, garlic and good tomatoes. Thyme is nice with venison. Caramelize onions first, set aside cook the venison in the same pan. Fold the onions into the sauce before serving.

Thomaston, CT

MMMM---even I would like that, & I'm not crazy about venison. Today we had turkey meatballs, with spinach, feta, sundried tomatoes, capers, & scallions in them. Also baked acorn squash & succotash salad.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sounds, yummy.

We're just bbqing burgers and dogs tonight.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I've made venison meat loaf and burgers but never a roast. Sorry, I don't like cooking with wine. I was thinking of using bacon strips for grease and onions for flavor. The thyme sounds good.
I'm guessing the roast is 1.5 pounds, what temp and how long should it cook? Roasts are not my thing, lol.

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

Just made Maine Fish Chowder and homemade bread....The kids love it...Of course didn't make dessert so had Oreo cookies and Milk, lol

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

YUMMY. Nothing wrong with Oreos!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Ribeye steak, sweet potatoes, [spinach, tomato & cucumber salad], bread rolls w/ melted mozzarella cheese and sundried tomatoes with a tomato dip sauce. Vanilla & Chocolate ice cream dessert. - A cup of strong coffee, (freshly ground & brewed), with light cream to finish.

Wow - I'm waiting for my invite, WC!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm full, just finished it... I may have another cup of coffee yet. - life is good, (sometimes)... might as well enjoy it while you can! lol!

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

I wanna go to WaterCan2's house...do you have enough for all 5 of us.

Sarahskeeper, venison is challenging to cook not only because it's lean, but it has a higher water ratio than any other red meats. This makes it very healthy. High water/low fat makes certain venison cuts taste like sawdust when dry cooked. Your idea would be good for the fast cooking tenderloin. Whatever temp you'd use for a regular roast will be fine or you could pot roast on the stove top. You could use tomatoes without wine or a bit of balsamic vinegar which will add a richer taste. Rosemary is also tasty with venison.
Laurel

Thomaston, CT

Am thinking I'm too sick to cook tonight---looks like pizza.

Good info Chef Laurel! :-)

Someone gave me a recipe years ago that I lost for a meat- loaf. It was to be kept in the frig for a couple of days to become a sliceable loaf of meat. It had liquid smoke in it and was good for sandwiches. Would you have a recipe for this? Just thought you might know.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Laurel. This is a rump roast. I'm not much of a meat eater, never make roasts. Think bachelor, lol. I'm thinking 325 oven in a covered roaster.? , ?
I like my food simple.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I made a recipe from my mom called mock sukiyaki, kind of like a pepper steak. Hadn't made it in awhile, it was yummy.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Andy, the key to any roast, low and slow.

Where's Pixie? If I memory serves this Iron Maiden chef, Pixie's DH is a hunter/gatherer. She should have great recipes that perhaps include ground nuts and juniper berries (?)

Jadajoy, I love meatloaf, but don't usually cook it. Though I've not been a frequenter here at N.E. in awhile I remember Willie was the go-to-guy for homey recipes, yes?

I'm in Miami, tearing out over grown landscape in 87 degree temps all day. Definitely not cooking. Last night I put a twelve pound turkey with a homemade chili rub in the oven and it died thirty minutes later. The oven, not the turkey. lol So, with family and friends expected shortly, I grilled my first turkey. It went smoothly and took a fraction of the oven time. One hour breast side down and one and a half breast side up. Something to consider come TG. We had a salad with the last of our garden tomatoes, Romaine, gorgonzola, kalamata olives, grilled red onions and peppers. A French vinaigrette. Grilled corn.
Laurel

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

This thread make me hungry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.