Seasonal Confessions: Do You Believe in the Great Punkin?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Prior thread was getting a little long so here we be ^_^ I confess I watched an interesting documentary earlier about a Great Punkin who rises up out of a punkin patch on Hallowe'en night and gives out presents. I am little confused about whether you have to actually be in the punkin patch to get presents or whether the Great Punkin mosies about delivering them. The location of the punkin patch is unclear so I'm wondering if it is Cowtown. I'm also wondering if this Punkin is a cousin of Santa? After much humming and hawwing (and lacking a punkin patch) I confess that I am considering visiting a few local punkin patches to check it out.

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1046958/

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I confess, I believe this is a picture of someone who does believe in the Great Punkin!

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Santa Fe, NM

Thanks for the new thread, Dahlianut. Nice picture, Kyla.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

A punkinfriendly CYC and perchance SO in the know about the Great Punkin. Great find Kyla!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I always thought the great Punkin was in favor of exercise, whereas Santa was in favor of sleep. Halloween presents are had by walking.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

And what manner of exercise does the GP do? Rock & roll?
Santa we know is a reindeer musher.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That's a very deep thought Dave-who-is-Dave about the Great Punkin. HOWEVER Santa and I are dear friends and I can tell you for SURE that Santa isn't in favour of sleep. Santa is actually very fond of refreshing beverages and dancing.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Picante what a concept! GP is Elvis. He's not working at a gas station, he's rising from the punkin patch. I can work with that.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I had thought walking - as in house-to-house. I can definitely see that Santa likes refreshing beverages. Hot Chocolate with Creme-de-Menthe comes to mind.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ahhhhhhhhh good point dave-who-is-dave the GP doesn't have reindeer. Bummer.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Likely also why Linus went to meet him in the Pumpkin Patch. Linus did say something about flying though. Definitely worth finding out what really is true and how it all works though.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes, flying, I remember that. I don't think he has wings. So maybe he has a propulsion system.
Maybe he's an asteroid.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

How many legs does GP have? Two legs like the KoolAid man, or lots of tiny legs like a millipede? If he has lots of tiny legs it would look like he was floating in dimly lit situations. A perambulating pumpkin would certainly cause me to wonder if a sugar overdose can cause hallucinations.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Maybe one of us needs to stake out a Pumpkin Patch this Saturday night to find out.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, I finally got DH to watch 'The Great Pumpkin' last night... he is British and had never seen it. He also hasn't seen the Charlie Brown Christmas one, or the Wizard of Oz. He's a bit resistant to cartoons, and tends to fall asleep during long movies, but I feel strongly that it is imperative to see these classics. Once upon a time he had never seen 'It's a Wonderful Life', but he bought me the DVD a couple of years ago and now he asks when we'll be watching it! Progress!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The best of the best is worth taking in. I love the Peanuts cartoons and the Dr. Seuss as well. Most of the rest of them could be burned without any loss.

Santa Fe, NM

I like National Lampoon's " Christmas " or "Christmas Vacation", I forget the exact name of it. Chevy Chase is the main character who hosts a family get together over the holiday. The best part concerns his adventures with the holiday lighting. Very Buster Keatonesque. Not big on Charlie Brown, I'm afraid. Recently saw a Simpson's version of the Great Pumpkin story. Liked it better!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I LOVE Christmas Vacation... we always watch that one. And, I always have to give Tony the drum roll when we turn on the Christmas lights... (scene from Christmas Vacation).

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The Grinch is my fav. I get very misty when his heart grows thricely and bursts the boxthing. I watch and sing the Wizard of Oz muchly. "If I Only Had A Brain' was my 2009 dahlia tuber digging song. Nat. Lamp. Christmas Vacation is so true to life Brenda. According to DH, you can never have too many lighted things.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I think the GP is Michael Jackson. You don't know how many legs he has because theyr'e moving too fast. I also think motion is generated with rolling. I have seen GP using skate boards, skiis, brooms, and many other transport devices. I have assumed that GP has a big suction device on his bottom so he can hang on to anything. Though with all the assumptions I do KNOW that he is good after my GD met him last week for the first time.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I nominate Dave for punkin patch watch.

I'm not telling that I actually live just down the road from someplace that calls itself Papa's Pumpkin Patch and when I drive by there are big orange round things stuck on the fence posts. I will not be watching for any moving pumpkins, and if they get a rumor that I might be it is wrong because I never said anything, but this place really does look like it might be a Great Pumpkin camouflage hideout, down there among more normal ordinary pumpkins, but I never said that.

I'm just quietly waiting for it to be Christmas.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Hmmm. I do have a prior committment/party that will keep me out of the pumpkin patch on Saturday night. I'm also not willing to risk seeing an Orange Michael Jackson floating in the air. It would take me months to recover my belief that life has a good and noble purpose.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Perhaps the purpose of the Great Punkin is to challenge people's deepest beliefs?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

oooooo Kyla Papa's Punkin Patch does sound promising to be the hideout of the GP.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

"stuck on the fence posts", Kyla?? That sounds rather gruesome. Were they stuck there as examples to other pumpkins who might be thinking of revolting?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

:O :O OMG I thought they were affixed not impaled. That's punkin murder :O

Santa Fe, NM

Picante, I thought the same thing! Mulch, ROTFLMAO! The Great Pumpkin coming to challenge our beliefs! And since the Great Pumpkin is wearing orange he might be a manifestation of a powerful Lama. Or llama, if you prefer.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Grapevines think alike, roybird.
Obviously, great minds do not. They challenge our deepest beliefs. Possibly the Great Pumpkin is one of those. Does anyone have Charlie Brown's e-mail? This bears further investigation.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I believe Linus is the expert on the GP.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Well, according to Linus, the GP rises up out of the patch, implying some means for getting airborne.

Apparently, the patch where he appears is the most sincere pumpkin patch.

I dunno, but a patch with pumpkins stuck on the fence posts seems a bit ostentatious (if they are affixed) or hypocritical (if they are impaled).

My guess is that the GP spends a lot of time in Mexico.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

News Flash! This just in: "Charlie Brown stated that he had heard on the radio that the Great Pumpkin had appeared in a "very sincere" pumpkin patch owned by someone named Freeman in New Jersey" Zipping off to visit the NE buds and get the scoop on this Freeman patch.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Still waiting for NJites reports but a NYer wonders if it's Morgan Freeman's punkin patch? According to googleguy there are 300 Freemans living in Freeman County alone in NJ so if he is there GP is definitely one well hidden punkin. Also my request to 'stake out' a Cowtown community garden that has I believe a very sincere punkin patch has been nixxed. Apparently an older people hanging out in a community garden on Hallowe'en is frowned upon. Bummer! I wonder if it would be better to wear a witch disguise?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think the main thing is not to give the police reason to interfere. Either the pumpkin patch has to be one in which your presence at 1130 pm would not arouse curiosity, or your presence would not be detected. I would place more confidence in the latter. I would also think that something like hay or a large pumpkin would be less noticable. A scarecrow might be good too, but I don't know if pumpkin patches typically have them or not. A witch costume would have the advantage of at least being black. Nurses and ghosts are definitely out.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

BRILLIANT idea dave-who-is-dave. I shall disguise myself as the GP!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Dnut, I think you're due for a tropical vacation. New Jersey is a wild goose chase.

I just did a search in Espanish, and "La Gran Calabaza" has been sighted nearly every year in Mexico. At fiestas, on the beach, you name it.

You know, the Mexicans are very sincere about the Day of the Dead, and their pumpkin patches reflect that.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Mexico sounds much more likely to me. I certainly wouldn't go into New Jersey after dark, and would be suspicious of any advice to do so.

Santa Fe, NM

If I were the GP I would choose Mexico. The Dia de los Muertos shrines would have refreshments for him, special bread and sugar skulls. Perhaps tequila, chocolate.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I would just like to note that the round orange things stuck on the fence posts at Papa's are not actual punkins but only like family portraits. So as everyone driving by knows that it is in there that the real punkins are.

so on second thought probably the GP stays away from those kinds of places as too obvious, but of course there is always the purloined letter hiding strategy to take into account.

sigh. Who will be clever enough to out-think this punkin?

My belief in my own cleverness is thoroughly challenged at this point.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes it does seem that the GP (or I guess I should say GC) lives in Mexico. Should I address my correspondence to La Gran Calabaza, c/o Prado de calabaza sincero? O bother I speak spanish even worser than francais.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Snorkle! I don't speak it very well, either, and that address looks perfectly fine. The Mexicans may find it hugely funny, no sé (I dunno).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.