Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I don't believe there is such a thing picante. It snows in the arctic at -40F. Methinks you are just caught in a discombobulating pause. I do believe that discombobulation affects weather phenom. I would crank up the weather transporter to send you snow but it's way to swirling to direct.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

They changed the forecast: minus 31 F
*&#% @ ΏΣΨЖ
Merde, THAT is just not possible. It hasn't gotten colder than minus 25 in 10 years!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We be cursed to flog through the winter with all but snow. It now rests in crystal clear skies but a bit above 0F, -14C. Each day has been stupendous with the sunrise and sunset Alpen glow. But I need some powder to ski!!!!

Ahh to live on the side of oceann warming. You got the artic BLAST, we just the artic chill.

This message was edited Dec 7, 2009 10:53 PM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ohhhh we're puffed with powder up here Sof. Bummer that it skipped you. Dear Picante I did send a MT warning that this was coming. The whole front has southern dropsy.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

WAAAH. Poor Miss Piper was shrieking with paw pain today. It was enough to rend me heart, it was.
She didn't go for the bootie idea last year. Maybe we'd better try again.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Pain paw is big in this temps. The crazy ole cat has tufty furr around his pads and he is howling. Me and the crazy ole cat will watch while you splain botties to Piper.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, I keep joking that I need to make the 5 dogs into a sled dog team, but it may not be such a joke... Cadbury the Chocolate Lab absolutely LOVES the snow, and while walking them tonight, when I said 'Mush' Cadbury wants to take off... loving to pull all the Cavaliers and I along. Then, the Cavies love it! Our temps aren't that cold right now (22 degrees or so), the Cavs wouldn't like it if it were too cold on their feet. But now, they are locked out of the bedroom for a bit as their coats are very wet with snow and ice and water at the moment. They love it, though!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Cadbury is an awesome name for a chocolate lab!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Glad you 'got it', Lisabees, DH is british and loves his Cadbury chocolates. I know I've posted this pic before, but I love it. Tony took this one.

Thumbnail by bsavage

It's going to be even colder tomorrow around here. I sure hope our very brave entrepreneurial snow shovelers come around tomorrow. I sure don't want to go out there in the cold to do it.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

It is 18 below. I would go straight back to bed but I am not sleepy. So I think I will drink hot chocolate instead.

Of all days, this is the one when 300 plus pounds of infrared sauna arrives this morning by truck freight. Plus DH needs to get the deceased hot tub out of the basement since that is where the infrared sauna is going to live. Maybe I should just go back to bed while all that is going on...

Just because it is our mutual Christmas present (we are having a Christmas dedicated to health this year, in a big way, which we don't normally do) where was I? Anyway, just because it is a Christmas present doesn't mean it should seem like the North Pole when it arrives.

Santa Fe, NM

Just think how nice it will be once you get it going! It is currently 28 degrees here, sunny and windy. Snowed maybe 4 inches in town. Lots of wind last night. Schools are on a 2 hour delay this morning. Last night I stayed home from my class and went to bed early. D.H. is still writing his screen play up until the last minute. He has to have several scenes done by tonight for his class. He is on a coffee and adrenalin high and I doubt he's slept much in the last 48 hours. He is now baking 3 pies to take to a party tonight at the community college. He's pretty convinced the roads will be fine, etc.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Carson City looks a bit like Bozeman this morning and feels almost as cold. It was 0.4° at 6:30 this morning.

That sounds like quite a headache Mulch. I hope my new dining table and chairs don't arrive this week because there is an enormous pile of snow in the street that will make it difficult to get a large truck close to the house.

The view from my office today.

Thumbnail by Katlian
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Mulch, that is soooo exciting about your far-infrared sauna!! I've looked at those myself.

Piper the yoga dog has suggested that we take a walk at Home Depot or Murdoch's today. Either place is dog-friendly.

Sitting here in -18F, can't see out the windows, but OH SO GLAD the weather forecast was wrong. Minus 31, my foot! It didn't get below -20.

DH was indeed surprised about your snowstorm, Katlian. He used to live on Donner Summit. Serene Lakes.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

We drove over Donner on Sunday night and it was snowing so hard I could hardly see the road, let alone the lakes. But in the summer it's very nice.

I must admit I'm quite jealous of your christmas present Mulch. On a day like this I would be tempted to go sit in there all day and pretend it's August.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Los Alamos sounds like the tropics compared to the weather in Canada, Montana and Nevada. We have about a foot of snow and it got down to 24 close to the house which means it was probably around 18 or 20 away from the house. The wind has been ferocious, though. Just before 6:00 am the French doors in our bedroom blew open and knocked over the jade tree -- which isn't easy to do. It seems the roofer who went out on the balcony a week or so ago didn't set the top and bottom latches so the wind was able to push it open even though the middle latch and the deadbolt were set. Then the power went out and stayed out for about 2 hours. We got the doors closed but not too well. It was to dark and snowy to see what we were doing.
The schools and the lab here are closed for the day so DH went back to sleep. Unfortunately, I couldn't get back to sleep so I got up and made tea. We no longer have a manual coffee pot.
We have furniture coming, too a stand and cabinets for DH's new fancy TV and other electronic paraphernalia. I can't wait to get my coffee table back -- right now it is the TV stand. Ours new furniture isn't really a Christmas present, but I do look forward to DH's organizing his maze of wires and black boxes.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Wahooo!!! The sauna is downstairs in its two large boxes. I know firsthand the health benefits of far infrared saunas as a generous friend has been letting me use hers. But as icy roads prevail with these awful temperatures, I am not driving up her narrow dangerous canyon road running alongside a creek as often as I had been doing. Objects, like large trucks for example, sometimes end upside down in the creek. I also am reluctant to take undue advantage of her generosity.

The sauna needs assembly and the hot tub needs disassembly. We reviewed our customer orders and concluded a couple of hours on the project each morning would be all right, as we cannot wreck Christmas orders. Personally, if it was not for that, I would like the sauna running tonight!

So today they got the sauna downstairs and DH and I took a pickup load of various debris out of the basement, including the hot tub cover. We are resuming our pretend-we-are-moving cleanup with a vengeance. DH will rent a Sawsall and cut the hot tub into pieces tomorrow morning. It barely fit down the stairwell and into the corner where it sits when we first got it.

Actually, it did not even fit down the stairwell until DH cut a hole in the dining room floor, which he did in advance, knowing the measurements. The idiots who built this place had a real head banger in the stairwell so anyone taller than my 5'2" was in danger of knocking themselves out cold just walking down the stairs. Removing a chunk of the dining room floor fixed that. Now we have a built in cupboard in the dining room with a false bottom that accommodates adequate head room in the stairs.

Anyway, since the hot tub is well and truly defunct, it just seems easier to chop it into manageable pieces to get it out of there. As soon as it is gone we can attempt to decipher the assembly instructions for the sauna. That should be interesting, but we lived through assembling a barbecue that was fiendishly intricate with atrocious directions, so we can do this too.

I think I will go downstairs and sit staring at the boxes, dreaming of warmth that eliminates sore muscles...

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Paj, we cross posted. I would strangle the roofing people after that!

Sounds like all sorts of deliveries happening this week. May we all have fun with it!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thankfully you were home Paj when the doors blew open! Mulch I am and will be eternally jealous of your infra-red sauna. We were planning on a steam shower that has a bench for sauna mode til we found out how much power it needs to work. I don't think our old house wiring can handle it :(

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Yup, Paj, that would have been a real hazard to have that door blow open while you were gone. A fabulous example of a silver-lined cloud.

We are all having a vicarious FIR sauna today, including the sauna owners! Dang, I wish my DH & I had time to descend on you with his Sawzall and his wham-bam carpentry skills.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Picante,
Boy, I wish that too!!!

Dahlia,
You might check into the far infrared saunas. This one person model is supposed to take no more power than a toaster. Of course, toasters can blow circuits if combined with too much other stuff too, but it might be less than the other project you were contemplating.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks mulch. I definitely will. DH is big on steaming.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Far infrared actually removes more toxins from the body than steaming, if that matters to him.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

CarolI too would want a steam sauna. I have sinus trouble with dry saunas. Though if you want to send the dry infrared Mulch I will accept it. LOL
Another day of -20 and no snow. My sensitive plants will be dead next year.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Maybe there's a similar deal like the warped drywall deal? Somehow I think not though.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I will keep your generous offer of acceptance in mind, Sofer. Will get back to you on that. Maybe in fifteen years... ;-)

I am wondering what plants of mine are dying out there too. I am sure the unheated kale in the hoophouse that was still going strong is not doing so anymore. But my blubous plants, rats. I never got it together to bring my glad and dahlia bulbs inside this fall. I guess they are compost now.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I enjoy replacing bulbs but not Dahlias. We got ours in but I have many borderline plants that are zone 5 and usually they do well with snow and -25 but not no snow.
I have been thawing pipes and helping neighbors this am. They are from Calif and don't know the rules about running water and putting lights on pipes.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh,
for snow!

None here I fear.....

Sad.
some snow would not
be bad,
but good.

It does not like
this neighborhood!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sof are your neighbours summer birds or year-rounders? I never knew that there were summer birders who leave AZ, CA and TX and come live in the north for the summers until I joined DG.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I have friends who picked yesterday to come home from a vacation in Maui. They are thawing pipes. You would think this would be upsetting but she is joyful about life instead. That is why she is such a good friend.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I like her already ^_^

Santa Fe, NM

News here is that the college is closed today and tonight so D.H. has more time to finish his work! He is very happy but is totally hogging the computer. Which is o.k. since I seem to find plenty to do off line. Paj, that's quite an eventful night up in Los Alamos! We really didn't get the snow you did but I think we were colder and now have ice. It is 26 here, now. Temps are dropping since this morning. Sopher, I know what you mean about the dry cold. That will damage plants way more than snow, which insulates. I'm going to be chopping back roses big time come April.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

That is good news for him, and apparently you too.

I found ice in the corner of the basement behind and above the hot water heater. The hot water heater is covered with one of those insulating blankets, so I think we can assume it really works.

The kitchen door also is showing the coldness of the day. The round white thing in the photo is frost formed on a nail head. This unfortunately is an indoor shot. I think it is way too cold, although it has crawled up to minus two degrees.

Thumbnail by mulchmania
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

It is painfully cold here too, down to just 2 degrees last time I checked. Unfortunately I have some work I need to do today in my unheated garage :o(.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

This guy is frozen to the front door.

Thumbnail by picante
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

This is the view out the kitchen window.

Thumbnail by picante
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

View out the office window.

Thumbnail by picante
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Well that is very pretty, picante!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

The kitchen, I meant.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

I think I would leave the mail. Man, that's cold!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.