Impatiens for 2010 - Anyone?!

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Very nice Blossom. Really like the orange. Still about 2 months until we can plant impatiens down here. They will pop up everywhere once we get to late October.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I have the orange in pots too.. they are the layovers from the winter.. I think I best take some new cuttings though for this winter...

The orange ones don't seem as common. That's why they're appealing to me.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

The doubles here seem to be uncommon.. hope I can get more colors next season.. Im hooked on impatien cutting!

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Taking cuttings of Impatiens and Coleus like crazy. They are rooting like crazy too! The area where I propagate, a glassed-in porch, reaches 110 degress, which makes for speedy plants! And humid too, with all those trays and containers being kept "wet"(at moist they would dry out too quick!). Mint and balm also root quickly, trying out thyme...

I wish I had peppermint, purple, orange and white impatiens. I really ought to look at those bargain impatiens at walmart. But, of course, your impatiens always look better than mine;) Maybe it's 'cause you have shade...

~Daniel

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

BB... love the peppermint!!! .... taking cuttings already???.... can't even think about it yet

It's late for taking cuttings, almost!! What temp is it there, Allison?

~Daniel

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

during the day... hot as heck still ... I wouldn't even try cuttings yet.. too much watering now.. never mind flats and flats.. drying up too quick... waaayyyy too early for me.. I will start at the end of this month and go into sept

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I took cuttings int he winter when I brought the imps in the house last year and they didbetter in my living room than in the GPS!

No, I justcut it back this last time. I wasted the cuttings...my gardening this year has gon a muck. Every time I try to do a production of something, I got smoethign gettgn in the way to do other things.

Question, BB. What does GPS stand for??

Impatians can root in water, but would rather wilt for awhile in very moist potting soil. They are much hardier that way.

Allison, how hot is that. 100? That's about what it is here. The humidity is worse. Mint roots in less than 24 hours in this heat!

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

wow 24 hours??? that's crazy... it's been high 90's - over 100 the past few weeks.. and the humidity is bad as well... too hot for me anyway

That is very very hot. Imagine having it in the 90's with high humidity, every day, from mid May though mid October!!! That's South Florida.

Did you grow up there Jon? Or are you a northern transplant?

I am looking out the window now, and see a Castor Bean dwarfing it's 50+ bedfellows. Last week, it was barely there. This heat is causing phenominal growth in everything.

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

double orange swirl

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

double pink are kind of slow getting started

Thumbnail by onewish1
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

one of the envoys

Thumbnail by onewish1
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

-Dan ->>>>

GPS = http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1121253/

Um, got a series going we are now on #11 so if you go an dclick on my handle.. then look for the GPS #1 that will get you going at the beginning....otherwise you jump in in the middle which is fine, but you will miss a bunch of pix! so go there, then back track! LOL!

Never tried rooting imps in just water...I do the dip it and stick it method using rooting hormones and just regular potting soil in a tray. I do them under lights in the livingroom in the winter. My orange was started that way.. the rest this season though I got some bargains at the local hardware.

Nice Onewish1!!!

I'm a Northern transplant Daniel. I've lived down here for 20 years now, but I grew up in Ithaca, NY. One of my younger brothers (a gardener also) lives in Sarasota, FL. The rest of the family is still up North.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It took a long time ( we just didn't get any heat this summer at all) but here they are. Orange Star Envoy. Filled out pretty good

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

not very orange ... but pretty

I am guessing these are Envoy Tropical Butterfly

Thumbnail by onewish1
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

very nice!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice arrangement in the teacupsAllison.
These are white impatiens again with Caladium Miss Muffet and some cosmose Gazebo White .I had hopes the cosmose would be shorter like it read on the package.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

ooops.Here's the photo

Thumbnail by ge1836
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice JoAnn... that white is really screaming for attention

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Allisin
Its pretty shady in there.
Other view os the garden this AM

Thumbnail by ge1836

Jon, you have a taste for heat? I am a bit bored of it now. I rather have snow, lol. Like that Barbarossa Dahlia! I have a seed-grown only exactly like it, except in pink.

BB, too funny! I don't have a potting shed, so I don't know if they are "glorified". So only plants in pots are allowed? Imps do root in water, but very slowly, and the roots have little feeders, so they don't fare well when transplanted. Rooting in moist soil under plastic is much faster.

Joanna, those envoys are wonderful. I had one last year, but caught the "winter blues".

Allison, that double orange swirl is good!!! What's the plant in the background? I like the dark trailing coleus with the double pink imp and white caladium too. Are they in containers, or in ground?

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener

Jon, you have a taste for heat? I am a bit bored of it now. I rather have snow, lol. Like that Barbarossa Dahlia! I have a seed-grown only exactly like it, except in pink.

BB, too funny! I don't have a potting shed, so I don't know if they are "glorified". So only plants in pots are allowed?
Imps do root in water, but very slowly, and the roots have few feeders, so they don't fare well when transplanted. Rooting in moist soil under plastic is much faster.

Joanna, those envoys are wonderful. I had one last year, but caught the "winter blues".

Allison, that double orange swirl is good!!! What's the plant in the background? I like the dark trailing coleus with the double pink imp and white caladium too. Are they in containers, or in ground?

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

they are all in containers.... and the one behind the DOS is coleus kingwood karnival (one of my favs)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37784/

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dan, if you saw my GPS you would know that all things are not potted.

Hey my gjurassic marigold bloomed.. go see!

Stewart, TN

Bit of a joke at my own expense: last spring when we went to our favorite nursery center, my husband was in a hurry and by mistake I grabbed up some annual vinca instead of the impatiens I intended to get (similar bloom color though leaves are very different). Rather than make a return trip I went ahead and planted the vinca in the intended raised bed.

Three months later, last week - I noticed that half of the vinca bed was getting much larger than the other half. On closer inspection, I realized it was last year impatiens coming through. Somehow it made it through a Zone 6 winter and is now wresting the bed away from the vinca and blooming beautifully.

I had put straw down around some ornamental kale after the first frost so I guess that saved the roots.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dontcha just love surpisese like that!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have posted this pic elsewhere but I like the white Impatiens with Coleus and Caladiums

Thumbnail by ge1836
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

those look great together JoAnn

Thumbnail by onewish1
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

nice doubles Allison!! I will really have to look into those for next year.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

grow great from cuttings too.. love that!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

here is how they started April 18th

Thumbnail by onewish1
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sometimes I wish for your light set up. Those are nice.
I dont buy many Impatiens this year only 2 paks of 4 in 2 colors.The whiteones in the above pic andthese with caladiums. Really a big "miss" as far as color match goes.
It happens.Totally mislead by pics on website.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

and the reason I don't go crazy trying to get everything perfect.. it's natures colors... they all go together... LOL

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Im hoping to bring my pots of them indoors this winter again.

Stewart, TN

"Volunteer" impatiens on left, vinca I planted by mistake on right.

Thumbnail by Rebeccatowoc

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.