Late season flowers

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

All I will say is that the road that goes there is paved with good intentions. Thank goodness I don't have any of those!

Woops, cross-posted. This was in response to Kyla.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2009 1:06 PM

Santa Fe, NM

You know, I think most roads were paved with good intentions. The one that goes here is no different.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Wahooo!!!!! I went outdoors to let the stir crazy dog blow off a little steam. He is sure he has not had near enough yard time recently, and I have to admit he is right, but I couldn't really help it.

He lost the tennis ball in my big round garden, a no no. I went to find it and found, not flowers, but aspiring flowers. The section I had managed to get replanted with poppies this year has a bazillion wee poppy seedlings! The poor little buggers will not make it through winter, but when they come up like this in the fall, plenty more come up in the spring. I will indeed have poppies there next spring.

The most wonderful thing is I looked at all the little clumps of grass that had popped up in that section and in spite of a howling wind I actually weeded it!!! This is the first actual gardening I have done in weeks! There was not much weeding needed, but I did it without feeling wrecked, which is sensational for me right now!!!

Wahooo again!!!!! Poppies coming for 2010!!!

Santa Fe, NM

Hurray! I think you are feeling better, for sure. Now, don't over do it. And congratulations on the poppies!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Nice mulch. Your garden is taking care of itself.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

OH hooray, Mulch!!!
May your wind stop howling occasionally. And may your garden be the poppiest one of all.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

It does sound like you are feeling better! Hooray for that and baby poppies!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow, Mulch, that is super, and I do know how good that feels, to be able to do something like that, after not....... how fabulous. Gave me a lift just reading your enthusiasm.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wonderous dear Mulch! Your beluved poppies are saying 'this will be over soon and we will be here'. Aren't gardens fabby for their loyalty? WHOO HOO that you're feeling better!!!!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Congratulations, mulch on getting your health back. Sounds like you are on the mend and your garden waited for you. How wonderful in both cases.
I am now back from Mississippi and Louisiana and am so missing the warmth and rain. Did plant a bunch of herbs and a banana magnolia before I left the farm though.

How odd. After all the early bitter cold and snow, my honeysuckles vines have about 6" of new growth and are blooming at the tips. On November 1st!
(I think they are 'gold flame' but I'm not sure).

Thumbnail by
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow! That's cool!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Love those honeysuckles. May have to have one of those!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

DJ that is cool!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I was out watering this weekend and noticed my oreganos turning colors with the cold weather. Such a nice shade of purple I had to take a picture. This is O. 'Amythest Falls'

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Very luvly Dave-who-is-Dave!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

That is very pretty!

Santa Fe, NM

Very pretty! I like the Amythest Falls. May have to have some next year. A viola in a pot outside.

Thumbnail by roybird
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The Amythst Falls seems to be one of the more robust varieties and is very pretty. If it wasn't a hybrid, it would be the Queen of the ornamental Oreganos.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I will search for Amythst falls in the spring. My hopley's oregano and kent beauty were among those tossed out by the helpful garden waterer. Will look for those again in the spring as well. My ditany of crete is still very pretty, though, it shouldn't survive the winter. Love your viola, roybird. Need to get some more of those in the spring. They bloom when nothing else is blooming.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

High Country Gardens carries the 'Amythest Falls.'

I've been wondering about the Ditany and Winter hardiness. It was one of the less heat tolerant varieties I planted. I lost one of my 6 plants, the other 5 showing significant stress. They have been happy since August. We'll see what happens over the next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.