Late season flowers

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1033930/#post_7192337 was getting full, so starting this one to put the remaining flower pictures of this season, now that I can....

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Congrats on the new computer. I gather you'll be posting all your flower pics soon?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Congrat Kyla!

Santa Fe, NM

Yeah, Kyla! Tried to post picture before but the file was too big, I guess. Will have to re-size. It is lovely to have you back!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

thank you one and all....

I have only a few late ones and forgive me if some of them did already get posted but I think not....

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

breakfast...

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Harvest...

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

mysterious....

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

framed...

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

shadow...

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

silvergirl....

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

wink...

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

paintdipped...

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

dill...

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

dill too...

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

fade.....

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Dill is the funkiest looking plant.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I find it delicate and lovely, actually. ;-)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes, it is delicate and I like it too. It is unusual though.

Santa Fe, NM

You have dill and I have fennel. They look rather similar. Nice dragonfly! Here's one before the rain. Not a dragonfly. A picture.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

And here's one from this morning. A late season dahlia.

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Very prettiful but don't wait too long to get them out funnybird. I lost 2 in wooden containers this year cuz I left them in too long (sob).

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Nice pics, ladies!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Nice pics from everyone and congrats on the computer, Kyla. Equipment that works right makes life so much easier...

Santa Fe, NM

Yes, it does. Here's a violet blooming this morning. Hope it isn't too underexposed to see on here.

Thumbnail by roybird
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Mulch, it does indeed!

Roybird, I had a nice surprise while in the beginning stages of moving plants to new place, your lovely pink violets are blooming! I would probably have never seen them as it trying t0 give a bit of shade I had them kind of crowded but when I dug them up there those pretty flowers were. If some are still blooming next time I go over o new place I will take pix...... they are still in a pot. nice and healthy tho ;-)

Santa Fe, NM

Oh neat! Those devils are invasive but I like them. I like the smell and the bees like them very much. It makes me happy to have something around that actually likes to bloom in cold weather. Chances are excellent that they will winter over outside in a pot. They should be in shade or sorta shade and get some rain and snow. Another dark picture of salvia blooming in plumbago. I like the reds. That picture may be sideways!

This message was edited Oct 23, 2009 10:31 AM

Thumbnail by roybird
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

In another thread someone (skiekitty) equated invasive with evil (invasive = evil). Just curious on your take on this roybird. :)

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Yes, and then she posted a picture of her "evil" kitty, who looks totally adorable! Very tongue-in-cheek.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes, but she didn't seem to think Aspens were cute.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I do hope the violets are invasive.

I also would like Roybirds take on the word, and though I have not been asked, I will share mine:

Invasive means it is going to go where you did not plan for it to, and most likely will be quite difficult to discourage once it gets started. To me with some things, such as violets, this does not seem to be a problem. With other things that are invading disturbed but uncultivated land and crowding out native flora and thus further disrupting the natural eco-balance, depriving animals of food or shelter source with which they evolved a dependence, depriving the soil life of their particular deadfall or leaf fall debris which contributes specific microorganisms and decomposition scenarios and strategies that the other plant life and that the soil life needs -- well, to me, those guys, while not evil, are extremely unwelcome.

Love the chocolate mint, thought many times about putting it in the ground, did not do so cause to me it seems it would fall in the latter category which admittedly is not exclusive to the first category at all but a matter of subjective choice.

Santa Fe, NM

Oh, I thought you wanted to know what I thought about "evil"! That would've been interesting. If I told you what I really think is "evil" we would go in to territory not allowed on D.G. and probably rightly so. Invasive depends on where you are. Many invasive plants from other places just die here because of the extreme climate, lack of water. The violets really are pests but I like them. They are fairly easy to dig up, too. What I really hate is the nasty old grass lawn that used to be in the front yard. It is Hard to dig up. I've been hacking away at it for 19 years and it keeps coming back up. It steals water from my other plants. It is not attractive to bees or butterflies, doesn't smell good, isn't native either. I like cats, too, but they have helped to decimate native bird populations. There are no absolutes. If we were all good ecologists we would stick to native plants for our region, not keep pets except chickens, stop driving cars, probably be vegetarians,etc. I am always hearing from my p.c. friends about all manner of things we ought or ought not to be doing. You can just imagine how much I enjoy their instruction!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Kyla quote: "I do hope the violets are invasive" You GO girl. Oh my dear ones if you only knew what I have in my garden that is banned in your states. It is truly, really, always relative to environment. Some of things on your invasive lists I can't even grow here! I think it's important that we be conscientious about sending seed and plants. I have bookmarked all the invasive plant lists for states to be sure I don't send seed that's on the list. If we all do that we're good. Of course we are SO good and actually I will go so far to say we are hottie good always ^_^

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Aspens are very Zen. They are all one. Ommm. Their leaves flip and flutter, making the sunlight move and dance about. And turn into gold coins in the fall.

Quoting Kyla: "crowding out native flora and thus further disrupting the natural eco-balance, depriving animals of food or shelter source with which they evolved a dependence,"

That sounds like Western Civilization, which is very like an invasive weed.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Well stated, Picante! I love the aspens.

This message was edited Oct 23, 2009 11:10 PM

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
The violets really are pests but I like them

That's the key.

I like Aspens too, just not in my yard.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I think we have some sort of willows in our shade garden... the roots are always spreading with suckers and I am concerned about damage to the foundation of the house in the future. I will try to find or take a picture in the next couple of days... the beauty in the canopy of these trees is amazing, the fall gold out my window is stunning. I worry a bit about the roots, though, they seem shallow and LARGE... going all the way across my garden.

Santa Fe, NM

Picante, I like what you mentioned about western civilization. We are the invasives! So true.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I am delighted to report there is a small stand of aspens in the front yard of the new place.

I am also delighted to learn that we are not going to discuss "evil", LOL! That sounds like a lot of work and I am feeling already way too lazy for everwhat all I am already supposed to do today.

Santa Fe, NM

Philosophical discussions can be quite engaging and they can take up a goodly amount of time and energy. Aspens are my favorite tree although I would not plant them where I live. I'm really too low, in town and not in a pine forest. The currants and serviceberries in my yard, are, I think, natives. Not to mention the stickery mahonia. I think my area would be grassland, pinon and juniper country. Foot hills of the mountains.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.