We burn our leaves
(8 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Other
(89 votes, 28%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I steal them from my neighbors who would otherwise eventually rake them up and pile them in a huge burn pile. I bag them up and use them in the compost and as mulch. Fortunately the neighbors could care less that I steal their leaves.

I am moving to a place without such neighbors where most of the trees are not deciduous, but there are one or two, but still, I am bagging up leaves to take over there, have four bags in the back of the car right now. I don't think I can possibly have too many.

This is the first year I have composted without alfalfa but have used the leaves both as the major carbon source and as a corrective for possible odor. I have been truly amazed at how well this has worked!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Ky u are my kind of gardener for sure!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

hahaha theft rules. ;-)

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Nah, nah, just a bit of "unsanctioned" recycling. :-)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, yes......

and some appreciate it and some even advertise for it????

http://i.imgur.com/WSfAi.jpg

Chewelah, WA(Zone 5a)

Oh, that's funny. I especially liked the last sentence, "will have more in a few weeks." hee hee hee!

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i picked other.....we just blow them off into the forest behind our house....the silly deer that we have around here use the leaf piles as beds, lol

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Joeswife:
i really hate those freight train fronts out of the artic. we are the same. I have seen it 70 degrees in the am and snowing by 5pm and accumulating. Its wacky and I have to watch the weather all the time in the winter. Oh well a nice fluffy bed for the plants and they are as the song goes "B Happy"
Dave

Dave: I hear ya.. it might be balmy at 9 am and freezing by 3 pm.. I have the first layer of leaves on the beds right now, the little impatiens are still shining brightly.. ( peeking thru the leaves..)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am a thief. I steal snow. I shovel sidewalks and paths to doors up and down the street, load it in my trusty barrow and dump it on my beds. Here in Cowtown they call that being a 'Snow Angel' and people smile and wave at you while you're doing it. Very funky weird but true.

That is a wonderful idea.. I bet that would be a hit in Buffalo, NY..

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

O Dahlia, that is so much more work than stealing leaves though...... snow is HEAVY! but I would probably do the same, if I lived where you do.......

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

All of our neighbors waste their snow by pushing in out in the street. We shovel ours onto the trees and flowerbeds for insulation and water.

When I lived in Bozeman the city would scoop up the snow from downtown and truck it out to the local farms. The farmers were happy to have as much as the city would give them.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Not sure if anyone posted this or not, but what I do with leaves is put them in a large rubber maid trash can, and take the weedwacker to 'em to mulch 'em up (be sure to wear eye protection!). It's easier to carry the can around and dump in my beds where I want them than mowing them, raking them, etc.

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Hm, very interesting idea! I do have an extra trash can that I'd used to grow potatoes. I might have to try that.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Same as lots of others - scoop them up with the mower and spread the shreds on my beds.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

STARE IN AWE!!!

Then, when they dry out, we run our mulching lawn mover over them, collect them into big paper bags & spread them over our garden.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I'll be using mine this coming fall (mulched) to fill in wire cages around my tropicals for insulation. The rest will go in the other beds and around the yard. I can fill a city truck from my yard alone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.