Previous Polls

Ladoga, IN(Zone 6a)

First again.whooHoo

Xai Xai, Mozambique

second again!
Isaac

Florence, MS(Zone 7b)

I voted other- I leave them as mulch.

Our property borders 1/10 mile of a beautiful stand of white oak/hickory/beech/pine/red oak woods. I love the effect of the forest scenery, so leave it as natural as possible (with the exception of killing the poison ivy ;-) Hey, it started chemical warfare first!!!).

Susan
Forester

This message was edited Nov 6, 2009 9:17 AM

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

leave them where they fall.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Other.......dh got me a shredder/chipper/vac last fall and we started shredding and chipping up everything, bagging some up for use in spring, some in go in the compost er, and some as winter mulch on my many perennial beds. We have 3 huge Norway maples, a quaking aspen, and a honeylocust tree on our property. I will go in the back behind our lattice and shred up some of the kids who live behind us leaves. They seem to appreciate that. Leaves are leaves to me as long as its not from a black walnut I'll take em.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Living in the country, we don't worry about leaves. Soon after they fall, we get strong south winds that blow them all into the grove. Only thing I hate are all the seed pods that end up in flower beds & produce volunteer trees. I pull more trees than weeds!

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Shredded for mulch here also.Oaks and Pines make great mulch.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Compost and mulch here... right after they grow taters. * )))

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Winter mulch here and then into the compost the following season.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

I use the fallen leaves as a mulch to protect my flowers during the winter.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I don't have many deciduous trees, so leaves aren't really a problem. The ones that do fall I just leave them and they blow away. I do rake up the pine needles that are shed every year though, and I think I'd rather rake leaves.

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah I'm in the other category for the same reason. I put down a lot of leaves for mulch then put hay on top of that. It protects pretty good.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Cece...you had me going there for a minute!!

"I will go in the back behind our lattice and shred up some of the kids who live behind us".........leaves. LOL! ;o)

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

My leaves and the ones that blow into my yard barely make enough mulch for one bed so I get a couple of big boxes of leaves from my inlaws who have lots of trees. I may have to skip the mulch in the veggies garden this year dus to a serious seedling-eating pill bug infestation.

Olympia, WA

cececoogan: whatever does THIS mean?

"I will go in the back behind our lattice and shred up some of the kids who live behind us leaves."

Are you shredding the kids who live behind you? I have known a few I would like to shred.

Thanks for the AM grin!!!!

Santa Fe, NM

I put "other" because I use them on the ground as mulch in the winter. However, I think I will throw some in the compost pile, too, now that you mentioned it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Other, because it was a combo, shredded for mulch and compost

Nurmo, Finland(Zone 4b)

I put the leaves -mostly birch - into a separate bin and leave them to rot to make leaf mould. My problem is pine needles. They take much longer to rot than other leaves. I don't have many so I put them in the dustbin!

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Cece: You don't need to Shred the kids up--- just throw them in your compost heap whole; don't you know that kids love to play in dirt and jump around in leaves? Yes sir, they will mix it all up real well, and then you can send them home!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks Petalpants. That reminds me. Safety tip: Don't rake your leaves into a big pile and run and jump in them like when you were a seedling. The ground is much harder now. (I always forget and do it every year owie!)

I add lotsa leaves to the compost pile in the back, and use some leaves to cover up tender tropical plants when it's going to freeze (rarely). The leaves in the front yard, well, they mostly blow to the neighbor's yard ---well, they blew in my yard from the Other neighbor's yard; yeah, we just trade leaves back & forth, depending on which way the wind blows! =)

I forgot: I Do save a few of those 'perfect' Autumn leaves that have such pretty colors, press them in a phone book, thinking I might use them someday, for a project.

Dalia, Yes, I know what you're talking about; You need a big, big heap of leaves before you jump in, Ha!

Olympia, WA

When I retired, I created my own "Bucket List" - long before the movie was ever created. On the list is the childhood wish to fall backwards into a huge pile of large leaf maple leaves - and to contemplate the blue sky above. Unlike other items on my list, this one has yet to be completed because of where I live. In "wettern Washington" - by the time you get enough leaves for said pile, they are well on their way to compost, wetted by natural atmospheric offerings.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Maybe a little trip down the road to southern OR wannadanc?

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

LOL I said a funny. The kids that live behind us (22 and 26) have a few big trees and I will go over and shred up their LEAVES and bag them, for me. I do the work I get to keep them. They don't want them anyhow and will only burn them, I have a much better use for them.

Maybe next time I better re read before hitting send, hey?

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Most of them blow away but those that remain we save to use as mulch in the summer.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

I voted for in the garden compost. I shred some and some I just put on the garden and cover up and water them good and they will be gone in the spring, leaving behind something good. Any body got extra leaves, I have room for them LOL

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I think Bernie's leaves just blow down here to KY...

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Depending on the type of leaves and what else is in them, they either go in my compost pile or the city's, so I voted "other".

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I mow them inward to a windrow...and then drive in reverse over them with the riding mower to shred them. Then they are raked and scattered over the gardens.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Bravo/Brava Indy! I keep hinting to my DH (who is the lawner) to do that. I bet you can dig them right into the garden in the spring (sighing with envy). I'm reluctant to take on lawning cuz I don't know how I would fit it in or I'd do it myself.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Some go in my compost. Some are left for a little protection for my beds. But the vast majority are blown intothe surrounding woods.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

I voted "other" because my town has an ordinance against composting, so any leaves that I can get my hands on go into my "lasagna" beds. If you can't make compost, make lasagna! Thank you Patricia Lanza.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I voted "other". I used to rake them and add to the compost pile, but a few years ago when I injured my knee I started leaving them in place. I have a landscaper who takes care of the front yard - to make the HOA happy. He mulches leaves in place with his mower. I only get a sprinkling of leaves in the backyard cottage garden, not enough to kill the tiny strip of grass back there. I just leave the leaves where they fall. The birds, rabbits, turtles, raccoons, and other critters that visit the backyard love it that way because the fallen leaves attract insects for them to eat.

Less work for me, better for the wildlife the garden. Now that's win-win!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I shread mine for mulch. Others I leave whole to fill cages to protect some flowering shrubs. Others I put into the compost. I need a lot more of them than what my trees produce, so I accept my three neighbor's leaves as well as get a few truckloads full from some landscapers. Here the landscapers have to pay to dispose of their leaves, so I happily accept them for free.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Since I don't cultivate much grass (except in my dogs yard) the oak leaves lay where they fall to mulch and hopefully turn my sand into soil. The pine needles are gathered in the fall to mulch the flower beds and freshen the pathways in my wild gardens.

^_^

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

an ordinance AGAINST composting? Haven't they heard of the "Go Green" movement?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

My thoughts exactly, Cherie. Time for that community to get with the times.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.