Flowering in Australia *October 2009*

Echium grown from seed ...I never thought of that ...you clever thing how hard was it?
Hi wayne I have seen a beautiful maroon hybrid too.

Thumbnail by
Merino, Australia

If you look in the background of the cordyline pic I posted on the other thread, you will see big momma echium. I saw a row of them the other day. Alternate purple and pink. Hubby wouldn't stop so I could ask for a piece of the pink. These thrive without water here. I know there are other colors as hubbys sister had some at her previous house. They are long gone so I can't get pieces.
Next time we go past that house with the pink, I am going in to ask . They can only say no.
Chrissy. My original echium was one self seeded on an old farm . It was quite small when I bought it home. It has a few babies around it every year. I have never actually collected the seed myself.
Here is the flower on that dendrobium above.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

That is really interesting jean ...those little pink blooms are so cute!
Ok I just looked it up and it says the best way to get seedlings is to throw the old flower spike onto the compost. Yes lots of interesting things come up from that!

One of my Brug crosses opened this morning

Thumbnail by

and

Thumbnail by
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

This is the best I could come up with lol!~

Thumbnail by brical1
Barmera, Australia

That's an unusual coloured Moggy, I suppose it's keeping your pot plant warm.
Brian

Christchurch, New Zealand

anemone Blue Poppy

Thumbnail by dalfyre

white ranunculus

Thumbnail by dalfyre

rhododendron...
all over ChCh the rhodies & azaleas are flowering.
The clematis Montana in pink or white are also showing off...
I would like one of each colour to grow along the fence.
They have fragrant varieties at the Warehouse for $10 right now.
The pink supposedly has a hot chocolate aroma.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

More like flattening the plants,this is his favourite pot and I never have the heart to shift him lol!!

dalfyre...you sure have some beauties there...love your Rhodie,such a pretty shade of pink..

it is a nice size, and coped well with getting a serious cut back along he street frontage.
I had a nasty letter from the council to cut back overhanging foliage.
I went a bit overboard, a light trim would have been enough as it barely crossed the boundary but I was determined not to have to keep nagging it year after year & it has been very good about staying behind the wall where it should be :)
My neighbours think the letter was wrongly addressed as I keep my place tidy.
Some people let their shrubs take over half the foot path & one place up the road has rose canes arching over the foot path so you have to duck or walk right around them.
Years ago I knew a blind chap who carried secateurs & would cut back anything that hit him in the face & toss the offending foliage back onto the property it came from.
And that is why many vision impaired people wear safety glasses... to protect their eyes if they walk into over hanging branches.
Limited vision is better than none at all!

This message was edited Oct 18, 2009 12:35 AM

Merino, Australia

Not strictly speaking, flowering in the garden yet. This is one of the new iris I bought at the trash & treasure today. I have never seen such a gorgeous bloom with the long purple horns too. Not the best pic but the flower was bumped around a bit All I need now is it's name. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Gosh dalfyre ...we just don't think of these things do we ...my brother has lost his sight recently ...he has various injuries from bumping into things and falling ...once he gave in and used a white stick to feel his way about he was off walking up streets to the shops, it scares me to think of what can happen to him ...I must tell him to wear glasses ...thanks for the the tip, we sighted people don't understand the dangers .
The garden looks beautiful!

That is really unusual jean!
judy I don't think I have ever seen a chocolate coloured cat before, reminds me of a palamino horse colour (one like that across the road).

Thumbnail by
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Jean, could this be an Iris kaempferi cultivar?
Hard to tell. Did the seller mention that it liked water?
Very nice bloom.

A Cordyline stricta "runner" will be in the post tomorrow to you. Thanks Helen for the ID.

Judy, here is David Austin's 'Golden Celebration' to wish you a happy week! A wonderful rose. I want to grow it x 3 in a garden. What a spectacular display it would make.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

You terrible woman Judy!
So "OT" in this forum.
A "Cat O'9" punnishment! Ha:)))

As you guess we are a pussy cat friendly zone here at "Flora".

Ferals need to beware... :((((((((((

Back to topic...

Here is Jack in the Cat Mint!

Nepeta.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

... but we all need "training".

:))))))))

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Beautiful Wayne! It would look really spectacular in a wide sweeping garden bed with lavender&white Iris,Blue & White Agapanthus,White Iceberg roses and a few yellow and white daisy bushes thrown in for good measure with Lavender/purple & white dwarf ruellias as a border....it would take restraint though....or go the other way with all the bright hot colours... reds ..oranges.. hot pinks...deep blues/purples..hmmm......

I forgot to mention Salvias...gotta have salvias!

This message was edited Oct 18, 2009 4:04 PM

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Some popies here...

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Ooooh How beautiful is that !!!lol

Merino, Australia

Wayne, I put that iris on the iris forum and was lucky to have an answer. It is an arilbred , Kalifas Horn. Gorgeous.

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

My Frangis are waking up and powering away..........

Radical Bay (named so because that's where I Pilfered *as one does*, it from)

Thumbnail by MyaC

Another stolen one.............the only thing against aquiring plants this way is, that you can't identify them....oh well small price!!!!!!!!!

Chrissy can you spot the Angel?

Cestrum huge cocunut oil scent wafting in through those kitchen windows,all the time...........

20mm of rain this morning and still on the hills behind...........

Thumbnail by MyaC
West of Brisbane, Australia

Mya, I can almost smell them from here!! That closeup is fabulous--both the flower and the amazing backdrop. Are those pink brugs in the background? They look almost like doubles ...?
Chrissy, your brugs look wonderful ... what a thrill! Legal, too LOL

This message was edited Oct 19, 2009 8:27 AM

Sniff sniff sniff ...never mind I have a good imagination and memory for fragrances ...coppertone tanning lotion right? beautiful!
Stop it right now I have work to do *giggling*

Thumbnail by
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Jean, glad you found an ID for your Iris. Lovely plants!

Back to Echium. We have a small pink here, so will take cuttings and strike. Up the road, some neighbours have a stunning blue/magenta. I think it might be one of those fab things from "Herronswood". I have to go see the tax man this afternoon, so will ask for a few cuttings when I pass by..

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

wayne ask for a dead head of the echiums while you are at it.Put into a bag (shake) and there will be seeds everywhere.

Mya, How beautiful is that!I am drooling the epitome of the tropics!

This is it's cousin ...seed grown Oleander

Thumbnail by brical1

Nother 'lation...

Thumbnail by brical1

Duranta 'Geisha Girl'.

Thumbnail by brical1

Very pretty Echium Wayne.

This would look lovely planted in with your 'Golden Celebration' Rose.
'Heliotrope' aka Cherry Pie,flowers for months and months... strong vanilla scent too...Have you got this one Cestrum?

Thumbnail by brical1

Judy your Oleanders are beautiful, mine are just starting to flower for the first time.

Here's my Desert Rose,Optimizer.......

Thumbnail by MyaC
Barmera, Australia

G'Day
As the weather warms up the cacti are at their best.
The first Echinocereus for the season, at present there are 9 buds on this plant.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Beautiful Adenium Mya, my first flowers for the season are quite small and pale compared to last year, but they didn't flower this early either.
Love the cactus flower Brian, Do they generally all flower in the same season?
I have Fejoa flowers for you. Hopefully the fruit will ripen this year, although I have read that a bug gets in there and ruins them, which is what happened last year I think. Must research it a bit more

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Coriander is proving to be a great companion plant in the garden, attracting bees and butterflies
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Barmera, Australia

G'Day, I don't think there are Winter flowering cacti but the Cleistocacti started flowering end of August and will continue through until Autumn. Others will give just one show and that's it others will have several bursts for the year.
Brian

Sue ,your Fejoa flowers are gorgeous...........

yummy yummy ...love the flowers and the fruit!

Stunning Desert Rose Mya...the one you gave me has a few tiny weeny little buds...keeping my fingers crossed.

Very pretty cacti blooms.

Love your Fejoa Sue

Just went out to turn a bore pump off ...and the scent from this Cunjevoi was intoxicating....I wasn't even aware it was in bloom until I walked outside just now ...have you got this one in your collection Cestrum...mmm?

This message was edited Oct 20, 2009 10:11 PM

Thumbnail by brical1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.