Flowering in Australia *October 2009*

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

A pretty little Dendranthema. This might have been sold under the brand "Federation Daisy". I took cuttings last year from a very compact shrub in a garden ready to be demolished...

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

An old favourite, Cymbidium lowianum.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

A little soft cane Dendrobium growing on our Wisteria.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Coffs Harbour, Australia

old faithful! Every year, one bloom! he he
Jacobean Lily.
Chrissy, go to bed! he he
Wayne, lovely pics as always.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Merino, Australia

Love those lilies Sue. I must go and see what all mine are doing. They flower well here every year. My arctotis are as usual, making a lovely splash.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Another one. I did have a white but it disappeared. There is also a bright orangy one out there somewhere. I must go and look for it. Probably buried under the agapanthus.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Love daisies especially this pretty soft leaved one. It grows really well from pieces so I have them all over the garden. I do also have a white in this pretty soft green leaf . There are the usual darker harder leaf ones around in the garden too. I find daisies very appealing. There is one way back in the corner of the paddock that has been there for about 20 years. It flowers beautifully every year without me going near it.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Singapore pink Bougie

Thumbnail by brical1

Couldn't resist!

Thumbnail by brical1

For Mya.

Thumbnail by brical1

Hibiscus Kona aka Mrs George Davis

Thumbnail by brical1

I have just noticed that my oleanders and brugs are infested with thrips...have never seen them like this before!

'yellow' Oleander

Thumbnail by brical1

#

Thumbnail by brical1

Yellow aurea

Thumbnail by brical1

Single bloom on Full moon.

Thumbnail by brical1

Couldn't resist again!

Thumbnail by brical1
Christchurch, New Zealand

pink rhodie

Thumbnail by dalfyre
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Oh Judy, what temptation you place before us!:)
I am thrilled to see so many lovelies, but must practice restraint.

Your flower photos are beautiful. All your plants are doing fine. I did not post pix of the Cannas in your "Adoption" thread, however all looking fab in 8" pots wanting very much to go into the ground.

Here are some Hippies camped out on the stairs!:))

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Lily of the Valley

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Barmera, Australia

G'Day
You might remember some time earlier Dalfyre (I think) was having trouble with Earwigs and I suggested using a vegetable oil trap but it didn't work for her. I don't know why unless Kiwi Earwigs are different to ours. It is the European Earwig that does the damage not the native one. Any how here is my oil trap from this year, the rotten cows were riddling my Broad Beans again.
The bowl has a couple of beetles, ants and a Cockroach along with hundreds of Earwigs. The light is the flash reflecting off of the oil but the photo is clearer than the ones with the sky reflecting from the oil.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hey Brian, this isn't the tea room, maybe you should post your gourmet dish over there! he he. I did some bud grafting today! Neighbours roses were butchered so couldn't get any bud material from there, but I used some buds from my yellow and pink patio roses and grafted the yellow to my standard blue moon, and the pink to a rambling miniature red.
Here is a yellow bud

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

slipped into the inverted 'T' cut on the Blue Moon

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

And taped up with floral tape (had to use what was on hand)
I wonder how they'll go. It was quite enjoyable and now I'm thinking of putting yellow buds onto the climbing red also.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Theresa, your Lily of the Valley is lovely. I remeber growing them in Katoomba years ago.
Wayne, your hippies look like happies! he he
Judy, sorry to hear about your thrip infestation. What will you do about it. The thing I hate most about them, is they spread viruses from plant to plant, it seems more so than other insects?
I can't get over your yellow oleander. I've just never seen one before. They wouldn't be all that common?
I decided to get on the band wagon and show you my one and only geranium. I think it might be 'Apple Blossom' and its the only one thats ever taken my fancy.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Barmera, Australia

G'Day, That soup is not ready it has to be simmered for a while.
Weed_Woman every thing looks right with your budding and the florists tape works OK unless you are working with older shoots with thick bark. I have always done a right way up "T" because that is how I was first shown either way works and the inverted "T" has the advantage that if the bud moves while the tie is being made it only moves deeper into the cut. In about 2 weeks you should be able to have a look and if the bud is still alive (and it will be) then you can shorten the stock back to a couple of inches above the bud and the stub left can be pruned off later after the shoot has grown. Don't cut it too short initially because roses have a habit of dying back and if too close, the bud will die too. The stub can be left until normal pruning if you wish.
Brian

I think it was Awchid who had the earwig problem.
I never see them here.
MeeMum has them in her dahlias...

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Brian, what would happen if i didn't cut back the stem above the bud graft? I ask, because I didn't think of that when I grafted to the rambler, and I did the graft halfway up the side of quite a long cane. If I cut it, it might take some untangling! The Blue moon is ok, because I used a cane that has no leaf growth yet. There was only one suitable site on it really, so I put both bud grafts on the same piece. Will that be a problem?
Sue

Barmera, Australia

G'Day, If you don't cut the shoot off your but may not shoot because of apical dominance. However if the scion is more vigorous than the stock it might sprout on its own if not you could make a cut through the bark above your bud (partial ringbark) which will force the "sap flow" into your bud and make it shoot. With the two buds on one cane you might have only one shoot unless they are on opposite sides of the cane.
While it is nice to see your bud growing the main thing at this stage is for you to be able to see that your methods were right and the bud "took".
Brian

Merino, Australia

My bearded iris are starting to flower and I have to run out between rain showers to get photos. This is Sterling Mistress. She looks a bit plain but in the sun is covered in gold dust and just sparkles.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

pretty iris...
I have flower spikes on mine.
They are mystery ones Mum gave me so no idea what colour.
Was busy weeding & mowing & finally noticed my white ranunculus has flowered, once I spotted one I realised that there are others.

This message was edited Oct 14, 2009 3:52 PM

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Pandorea' Aussie Bellz'

Thumbnail by brical1

Plumbago Royal Cape

Thumbnail by brical1

Bucks Fizz

Thumbnail by brical1

Ruellia

Thumbnail by brical1

Frosty Pink... early this evening

Thumbnail by brical1

Hippeastrum hidden away

Thumbnail by brical1

White Centranthus ruber

Thumbnail by brical1

Feverfew goes on for months and months.

Thumbnail by brical1

Beautiful judy ...you know it's so cold here still that I don't even have any buds on Frosty Pink yet ...
The ruellias are very pretty ...heck everything is lovely.
jean your iris is very feminine and lovely!
Beautiful pictures!
that earwig soup is very interesting brian but no I wouldn't apply for Master Chef just yet ...great result for the garden though!.
Sigh sorry no pictures from me ...yet

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.