Flowering in Australia *October 2009*

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Here is my first bloom on my seedling 'Black Fire' Desert Rose,if you look closely you can see the black rim around the petals....

Thumbnail by MyaC
Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Here are my Fuchsia,the cuttings I got back in May.....I know they're not flowers yet but they nearly are..........

Cascade

Thumbnail by MyaC
barmera, Australia

My first Hippeastrum flower for the season. Millenium Star

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Merino, Australia

Hello Mya, I was wondering if someone was going to start the new months thread. here are some of my gorgeous ranuncs. A lovely show this year except for when the rain knocks them over.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

red ranuncs and small lavender

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

dwarf iris, first for the season.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

the lovely blue ceanothus with the white one behind. gorgeous show.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

burgundy babianas. I have the purple too. very pretty.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Barmera, Australia

You most likely all know thw Coral Gum, Eucalyptus torquata.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
West of Brisbane, Australia

I've got a couple of seedlings of that coral gum, Brian. Being seed grown, their colour is unknown but I'd be happy if they looked like yours.

Mya, I see you've kept the possums away from your fuchsias! They really have reached flowering stage from (rootless?) cuttings really quickly.

Alstonville, Australia

Hi all this is my hippeastrum the last ones to flower does anyone have a name for it please.

Thumbnail by hel
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Mya, your Adenium "Black Fire' is gorgeous. Colleen, your hippy looks very rose-like at that stage!
Jean, what a lovely bulb display you have! My Babs didn't flower this year, so I don't know if you sent me the burgundy ones or not. They didn't do well in the pot so I will find a spot in the garden for them.
Brian, I like your fluffy flowers, and Hel, I don't know any cultivar names for Hippies!
Heres my hippies, a bit more crimson than yours.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Heres some more hippies in front of the Callistemon viminalis.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Some years ago I fell in love.

A long romance eventuated...

With a Hippy! :))

Hippiastrum 'Apple Blossom'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Merino, Australia

Some of my Dutch iris. You can see a confused petal on one. It didn't know if it should be white or blue.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

I love this green lavender. It was originally a tiny plant rescued from an abandoned house but has now asserted itself in the garden. I moved the plant as it grew large and this one grew from a piece of the root left behind.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

More ranuncs and friend.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

A pretty melaleuca.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Jean, I have not grown or thought of Lavandula viridus in years! Thank you for reminding me. I love the honey scent and "sticky" texture of that plant. Your plant is a treasure. Glad to know you are growing it.

Here is Fuschia arborescens.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Dandilion

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Dahlia 'Delicious Honey'. Plus inscets.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Species Glad.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Wayne, i think I have Apple blossom, if it hasn't been blown to smithereens, I will get a pic to compare. I love your confused Iris and your Dahlia.
Jean, your malelucah is so cute and fuzzy, and I would like to have the friend of your rununcs in my garden. he he.
Here is the flower on one of the pitcher plants (Sarracenia) in the boat pond

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Coffs Harbour, Australia

And the red one in another pot. Last year I had a pink one, but it hasn't flowered for me this year.

Thumbnail by weed_woman
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Little hot air balloons!
Silene vulgaris.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Trying this elkhorn on Old Double White Brugmansia. Budding tape is great for tying on.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Christchurch, New Zealand

Clematis 'Angelique'

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Cute little baloons wayne! So are you trying to graft that Elk horn or what? he he
Beautiful clematis Teresa. Its too warm here to grow them, unfortunately, so thanks for sharing.
Wayne, do you think this one is Apple blossom too?
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Yes, looks like it Sue. A beautiful Hippy.

Budding tape is such a beaut tool. I use it for lots of jobs in the garden. That Elkhorn was a freebie! Fell out of a tree the other week with the wind. Hopefully it will attach OK to that old Brug.

This light rain falling here is perfect.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

I can see why they called that hippie Apple Blossom, it is really pretty!
I don't know anything about them so time for me to wander down the research trail & find out if I can covet them for my garden or just admire them from afar...

Barmera, Australia

G'Day All, Late last year or early this one there was a discussion on Budding & Grafting and I posted a series of photos of different ways of doing the job.
I thought I'd remind those interested that we are now in a new season for those who would like to try a bit of grafting.
The most common usage of this method of propagation for home gardeners is to have more than one flower colour or fruit type on one plant. The photo is of a nearly white "Iceberg" rose with a dark one budded onto it. Apart from the curiosity angle of this it also allows the trialling of more plants in a restricted area.
Give it a go it's not hard to do and you can get a great deal of satisfaction when successful. Roses and Stonefruit trees are probably the easiest to do and are a good starting point.
Brian

Thumbnail by Stake
barmera, Australia

I think this is a David Austin. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

looking down the garden path

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Merino, Australia

This is the flower on one of my latest salvias. Isn't it unusual ?
I do have another with a brown flower but different to this one. I now have 12 different salvias but at the time of planting did not put the labels in so am now in the dark as to their various names. i don't worry too much as I just love them for their flowers. They do well here .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Love all my lavenders.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Just a pic to show what the white ivy geranium can do. It will outgrow all the other colors in the ivy geraniums that I have. Excellent to cover something and very easy to cut back with the hedge clippers. This will be a mass of white flowers soon and last most of the year.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hey Wayne, is that coelogyne flaccida? If so, I bet it smells fabulous! I bought a small plant of it a couple of weeks ago, and just found the name about 20 minutes ago, how bizarre?
Brian, is it time to do bud grafts on roses now? I think we might be passed it up here though.
Colleen, beautiful roses
Theresa, I love your garden path, can I take a stroll?
Jean, very different salvia, and I love the lavender. I was meant to pick some from a deserted garden today, but I forgot! Nevermind, with any luck they'll still be there in a couple of weeks.
This is dietes. It loves a bit of rain and puts a great show on within 24 hours.
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Barmera, Australia

G'Day,
Now until February at least is OK for roses, any later and while the bud should "take" it may not shoot until next spring. A good yardstick for budding is if the plant is in active growth the bud should take grafting on the other hand is almost opposite except it is still OK if the plant is just starting to grow in the new season. There are exceptions to this but that will only complicate things.
Weed_Woman if you want to try it then nows the time. Remember a nice plump bud from the scion onto an actively growing stock, if you need any help just yell.
Brian

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Yes Sue, Coelogyne flaccida! :)
We have it in varying shades here from white to the colour in this pix. These plants were once again rescued from abandoned gardens...
Progress of high rise along Pacific Hwy Sydney.

A lovely little orchid, perfect for basket culture or attached to trees.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Inland S.E QLD , Australia

So many beautiful blooms...Oh how I love spring!!
I came home to this

Thumbnail by brical1

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.