Your Least Fav F*a*l*l Gardening Chore?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

And then there's roybrrrrrrrd.
But there's really no way to brrrrrrrr-ify a picante. Else I'd need to move.

Santa Fe, NM

That's a good idea. We'll name one of our micro blends "Lisabeer". What should it be like? I am not real up on beer flavors but we could approach it more like wine jargon. Honey-colored with a slight overlay of gypsum and green tomato dusted with a hint of lavender snow. Our heaters are now operating, the appraiser has come and gone and I even had a short nap!

Santa Fe, NM

We crossed posts because I'm a slow typist due to the time lag between my mind and my fingers. Instead of Roybrrrrrd we could have a lovely beerrrr called "Admiral Brrrrd ". We could market it to the navy.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Glad to hear you are over that hump-a-lump in your project roybird. Very good description of 'Lisabeer'. What will be the dipping/steeping rock? I think maybe 'Bronte'? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/905234/

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O the Navy would be a big customer for sure! It could have a hint of salt and a kelpish aroma. Picante, I think Pipebrrrrrrr has it covered ^_^

Santa Fe, NM

You should pick the steeping rock, Dahlia. I saw Dahlia Hill on the link but am confused about "Bronte", as a rock. Kind of confused about her as a writer, too, because I confess I can't remember what she wrote. Gothic?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL that was the wrong link. Got my beers mixed up with dahlias which happens to me all the time. Here is the Bronte rock http://www.burnco.com/products/show/116

Santa Fe, NM

Oh, very good! And it has literary undertones. Along with the kelp. A literary undertow. Pipebrrrrr beer would be good, too. Sounds lively!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

ROTFLMAO! You all are so creative and funny!!!! Here's a pic of the dahlias that I cut and brought in the house...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Santa Fe, NM

Yes! Those are great, Brrrenda! I still have some outside. I keep thinking this isn't really happening.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

There was Emily (Wuthering Heights) and Charlotte (Jane Eyre). Both novels give me a distinct Gothic Brrrrrr.

Roybière (to be marketed in France as "le roi des bières")
Roybeard (that one we'd market to pirates).

Pipebrrrrr has been watching me move thyme. That was so I could put the Veronica where I wanted it.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

So far on the lisabeer recipe we have suggested an Amber with Lavender, Clover Honey, and Rocks (of a sort to be specified). The hops should be a variety with a more delicate, floral aroma to complement the Lavender and honey. Hmmm. A bit of spice in the hops wouldn't hurt either. Saaz or Fuggle should be good.

A Roybière recipe will require further thought.

On a different note: Picante, does the Brittish English version of Harry Potter read much differently than the US version? The poetry in the language of a good writer can be quite enjoyable in itself.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I was wondering the same. Did they change Harry Potter books for Americans? I hope not. Americans need to have their minds expanded. The world doesn't need to cater to their lack of knowledge of the outside world, though Americans do love not having to learn anything about foreign countries, even their mother country.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

I can't add a thing to the whole "Lisa beers" issue - you guys are way too funny!

I too am wondering about British Harry Potter. I agree, Paj, that the language in books shouldn't be changed/ simplified - not even for kids.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I've recently read the first in the series of "Outlander", by Diana Gibaldon, it was not easy to get into at first, as it is in a Scottish brogue. When we went to Scotland this spring, it was in areas where this story took place. After I could think (and read) in Scottish brogue, it came alive to me. Beware, however, there are many books in the series.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Beautious pink dahlias Brenda ^_^ Too funky weird, it's gonna hit 90F today but there are fr*ro*s*t warnings for early next week :O I really liked the Outlander series Brenda. A good read.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I looked yesterday and yes, there is a US specific translation. No other non-UK, English-speaking countries (Australia, Canada, ) got a separate version.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have heard of the Outlander series, but am so behind on my reading I doubt I will get to it any time soon. I have too many plants to plant! It is getting cold here. We had frost warnings last night but we didn't get a frost, luckily because I still had indoor plants out for their last bit of sun. I will bring them in tonight. I was at Theresa's house yesterday and they definitely got frost the night we returned from Denver. More was predicted for last night. Her zennias and zucchini were zapped. My zennias are still fine. We live about 40 miles apart, and I tend to think our climates are the same, and they are, generally speaking, but obviously not always.
I will start planting again today!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

90 for Calgary?? Ours only says 85, how weird.

I'll have to try the Outlander series. Harry Potter was indeed changed. There is a Canadian version as well as an American version. The differences are not huge. But ... I want to know what the author actually wrote, since she writes bloody well. Also, the American version contains errors here and there (spelling, editing), which the British version does not.

I got the UK version from amazon.uk, pre-ordered just as book 7 was due out.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

We crossposted dparsons. I found it fascinating but unfortunate that they made a translation for the US! Americans don't need to be dumbed down any further! Oh well, at least kids read and loved it. That is what really counts, I guess.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Woop, cross-posted with DwiD. I thought there was a Canadian version, because there is a Canadian publisher. Maybe not. So are they using the UK or US version?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, if they are going to dumb it down for us, they should at least give us a correct version!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I like to read the BBC news and some of terms they use require a bit of translating. Yesterday there was a story about a dustbin lorry driver and it took a few sentences to realize they were talking about a garbage truck driver.

I have some Cascade hops growing on my fence. I know they're a pretty ordinary type of hops but I would be willing to donate them to the beer production effort. It will have to next year's crop though because this year's have all been harvested and donated to local homebrewers.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2009 8:19 AM Talk about spelling errors ^_^

This message was edited Sep 23, 2009 8:19 AM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

At my friend Theresa's house I saw a large wooden bowl full of hops she had grown. It was very attractive as a decoration which is all I think they planned to use it for. I had never thought of hops as ornamentals until now.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I got my info here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_in_translation

Only country edition of the 7 identified English speaking countries that was edited was the US version. I do believe our English is less similar. Still, I prefer to read Shakespear in the original since I can and I don't loose anything that way.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

What a hoot that they are translating British authors into American and Canadian ^_^ I always check the publishing info when I buy a book so I know although I don't really sweat it unless it's prose or poetry. I wonder if American publishers translate Canadian authors into American?

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Did anyone notice Today in History. Rudolph Beer sounds like a good Christmas brew.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Brilliant idea Katlian! We will definitely need a festive beer for the holidays and it could be an honourary beer!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Not that I'm aware of, Dahlia. I've read Margaret Atwood and other Canadian writers, and noticed the Canadian spellings were intact. But then, maybe those books were from Canadian publishers.

Speaking of lorry dustbin drivers and other misunderstandings. I've been watching the news in French on web-based TV5 Monde. The news reporter was interviewing an American politician who was very obviously pro-private insurance. At one point she asked, "What we have trouble understanding here in Europe is why you would be against health care reform that would cover everyone in society".

I was laughing my head off as he tried to explain that one. In inadequate French, no less.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I recall my editor with Quarto in London saying it was going to be easier for them since I was writing "American" and they could just switch to the British version more easily than trying to put it from British into American. Mostly it was just spelling changes in my book.

Picante, that interview sounds like it would have been hilarious for anyone with good enough French to follow it.

I still am barely keeping my plants watered, let alone doing any fall chores. But I have gotten slightly more energy this week, as long as I don't do too much of anything physical. This is a good thing because my friends have worked with my husband to create a fundraiser this Saturday to help with the expenses of all this.

It will be a fun party with live music, crazy door prizes, food, wine, silent auction and a lot of work on sale. You are all invited to join the fun, I wish you would all show up with these interesting beers you are describing! Maybe Dahlianut's transporter could get you all here?

http://www.squidoo.com/make-lexi-smile

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Glad you are starting to recover and hoping the new teeth will give you your old energy back. Looked at the website. Amazing stuff available. Will give it a more serious after struggle with IRS and taking dogs to the vet. Sending healing thoughts.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, there are some beautiful things in your auction! How awesome that your friends are doing that for you. I'm also sending healing thoughts.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I'm glad you are on the road to recovery mulch. That is a wonderful photo of you in front of your painting.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Wowser, Mulch. You've surrounded yourself with beauty, and so much of it has poured forth from you. I'm just overwhelmed looking at all of it. What an incredible life you've built.

Santa Fe, NM

That's great, Lexi! I will be with you in spirit. I know it will be a fun day and you will get all the money you need!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Still sending healing thoughts and hugs your way dear mulch

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Santa Fe, NM

Beautiful dahlias, Dahlia! That looks photo contest to me.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Those ARE gorgeous Dahlias, Dahlia!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Ditto on photo contest, Dahlia. It's outrageous how many different shades of colour are in those two flowers. Can you put that one in the Plant Files? Man, it looks like something Mulch would paint!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks all. I am still organizing my dahlia pics and then I will post them all. There are some very prettiful ones this year. That is a new border dahlia. Only about 1 foot tall. I shall look up the name when I go outside.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.