Your Least Fav F*a*l*l Gardening Chore?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

For me taking down and in the garden statuary and artsy/fartsy stuff. It truly means I'm done for the year :(

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Well, I haven't even figured out all the stuff I'm supposed to do in the fall. So this thread will help me make a list, I hope.

BUT... I just planted my last two seedlings of the year, Whoooopdedooooo! That'll be a round of refreshing beverages, please, for one and all.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Still in denial that winter is coming. I'm okay with Autumn (love it, in fact), but not ready to think about bringing things in yet (though as much as I am denying it, I have questions about over-wintering that I am planning on posting in a new thread)... dang, I used to be so much better at denial.

Will reply to this topic when I must... ^_^

Santa Fe, NM

I want to be in denial about so many things, Brenda. Sigh. I am not looking forward to taking down my water feature installation or bringing plants in. I also hate taking down the hummingbird feeder. I was thinking about getting cuttings from my fancy impatiens and some coleus. Usually I plant in more bulbs around this time, too. I'm feeling disheartened about the roof work pending. Looming on the horizon, overhead, like a roof. I know that there will be major cut-backs and clean outs after that so I'm reluctant to plant much. Bulbs would be about it.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Awww, Roybird, I'm certain I would be a bit disheartened about the roof work, but on the positive side, at least it will be happening now rather than in the spring when you'll be planting and planning and growing. (Easy for me to say, as it's not hanging over my head, so to speak...). Wishing you well with that project!

Santa Fe, NM

Thanks, Brenda.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, cutbacks in the fall often help your plants in the spring. Causes them to grow more roots. May be just fine eventually -- especially if you have a stern talk with the roofers first.
My least favorite garden task is assembling mechanical items that I purchase by mail. The internet is great for finding best products and deals but many items come not assembled. When I bought the new lawnmower it went together in a hurry but there were 2 large springs left over that I didn't know what to do with. Had to take it to the Toro dealer to get them installed and he let me have it for not buying from him. Unfortunately the model he sold was $250 more than the one I bought which was at the top of the list on Consumers Reports. It cost me $16.75 to have the springs installed.
I still haven't finished assembling my brand new chipper shredder -- just intimidated. Must do it soon. I have plenty to shred. I have been looking at it and feeling guilty about not assembling it. Maybe righting this will help me get to it.
Also, I detest having to get things planted before the last freeze. That's because I always overestimate the amount of time I will have for planting.
My issue is more guilt than denial -- I think.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I am still in denial. I can't even bear to think of how I am going to deal with all the containers....... well, I have thought through some of it, but I may end up just letting the seasons roll on and watching what happens.

I am actually looking forward, though, to putting spent plants in the compost, but time is not quite yet for that.

I have to decide what if anything to do with all the gladioli, take them up and store them? Let them fend for themselves and see if any survive?

dunno yet.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

What are you all carrying on about denial for. Winter is months away yet.

Least favorite chore is still weeding. Second least favorite is the cleaning up - putting tomato plant carcasses on the compost pile and things like that - but that is still months away - still picking tomatos on a daily basis.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

:O dave-who-is-dave you said the 'w' word :O I must begin my late season chores now (she says staring at the bags of compost to be spead and the bags of bulbous things to be planted) because in another month it will be Tuber Time. Tuber Time is a joyous but very busy time.

Santa Fe, NM

I threw down very stinky composted mulch already and will throw down more later. I got some things planted in to the yard from pots but there are still more. I have basil to pick, too. If I don't do it someone else will.

Thumbnail by roybird
Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, celebrate all these chores as I doubt if I will be doing much of any of them in my yard this year. Does not look like I will have my health issues resolved until towards the end of October and I have almost no energy. I gave away most of my tomatoes as I did not have enough gumption to freeze very many myself. At least they will all get eaten...

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Winter. Voldemort. I'm not afraid of saying such things.

Its all very joyous. Even in the Winter is a preparation for the next year.

Sorry you aren't feeling well mulch. I really do hope October will bring vitality back.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes mulch, I am hoping you will get well soon. It is very unfair to be sick in the winter.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I hope you are feeling better sooner than October mulch. Especially with your tomato harvest and all the work you put into that. I am glad that some folks are benefiting from your efforts and it is not going to waste.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, mulch, when you are too sick for home grown tomatoes, you are sick! To quote a country and western song I know of, "Only two things in life really matter, true love and home grown tomatoes."

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Hoo boy, Mulch. It is indeed a luxury to complain about which chores we don't want to do, since that means we have energy to do them, and that is something to celebrate.

On the adrenal fatigue forum I frequent, they were just talking about the "spoon theory", something a lupus patient came up with to explain what it's like to be sick when you don't look sick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPhh_pGuQXM

So... why the end of October? Whose evaluation is that?

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, it is a long story, but to give the readers digest condensed version, I have terrible genetics with my teeth and gums combined with three generations of poor nutrition in my family background. My nutrition is good now, but not when I was a child. Add to that scenario various dental misadventures. Some were from incompetent dentists, others from well meaning but misguided dentists, and others from dentists who merely wanted to extract as much money as possible from me. Due to the structure of my mouth every single one of them always told me I had to save my teeth at any cost as I would not be able to deal with dentures.

Nothing they ever did stayed fixed. A lot of that was due to the fact I sleep with my mouth open and everything dried out and decay would immediately set in, but I did not learn that until late in the game. After endless rounds of crowns, root canals, etc. I ended up with a systemic infection that has nearly finished me off this summer. Root canals, it turns out, prevent the teeth from a natural internal flushing action, so they become protected sanctuary for anerobic bacteria, which then launch disastrous attacks on the gums. Just read the book Tooth Truth, written by a dentist about what dental procedures actually do.

Anyway, my new dentist agrees with me that this infection is not going away until the teeth do. And they are all coming out in October so I can start recovering. Basically everything any dentist has ever told me until now has been pretty much wrong for what I needed. And it does appear I will be able to manage dentures after all. Sheesh.

Spoon theory says it well. One thing I have learned lately is the profound difference inner joy makes. When I am aligned with that deep joy of life, I have more physical energy. Maybe not a lot, but more. And when I lose awareness of that deep joy, I lose energy rapidly. My own personal laboratory has been bringing some interesting discipline in that regard!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, Mulch, problems with teeth are so difficult to deal with. I'm glad that you have found a dentist that will help with those issues, and I hope you are feeling better very soon. I would think if you have a chronic infection that it would indeed sap your energy. Sending healing thoughts your way...

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Ouch, mulch! At least you know the problem and can deal with it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Mulch, I am so sorry to hear of your struggle with infection and the loss of your teeth. That has to be sad. I am glad to hear you are concentrating on something positive. I hope that you will be cured soon and back to your normal self. I, too, will be sending you positive, healing thoughts.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Mulch's fall gardening chore: have teeth pulled.
So she can have health with which to garden again.

It will be the best thing anyone has done for your health. Yep, root canals are a disaster. So is mercury amalgam. I could rant, but here is something positive:

My sister's teeth were so bad she got dentures in her early 40s. A couple years after that, she was able to stop her anti-depressants (she had tried a few times, but her mental state always dropped too low). A few years later, she was able to stop smoking. Then she went off disability (which she was on for depression). Now she is working.

It's been like watching a miracle. It's from getting the mercury and other nasties out of her mouth. Amazing.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Amazing. I have a friend who was sick all the time, and was diagnosed by Mayo Clinic as having irritable bowl syndrome. She struggled with that for years until she had to have an emergency appendectomy. Now the IBS appears to be going away. Yes, hidden infections can really make you sick!

Santa Fe, NM

Sad to hear about the dental infections, Mulch. One of my friends had implants put in to replace almost all his teeth about two years ago. It seemed to take forever and cost a whole lot but he is doing well now. My step father had so much dental misery that he finally convinced a dentist to stop trying to save his teeth and had them all pulled and got dentures. Just like you are doing. He said it was the best decision he'd ever made and the dentures were never a problem. He thought the work he'd had done to save his teeth had contributed to the infections and problems, too. He never had any oral problems again after he had his teeth pulled! He had that done when he was around 60 and he lived to be 80-something. This is not to say that all dental work causes problems, however!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

{{{{mulch}}}}} I hope you recover quickly once you have the procedure.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Just read Tooth Truth, it is a highly informative book. I thought I already knew all the dreadful things that had happened to me, like the mercury amalgams I had removed a few years ago, but there is a lot more. Even simple seeming procedures aren't really so simple. About everything mentioned in that detailed book has happened to me except veneers.

I look forward to having this done and over with, I will not regret the departure of these teeth that have been nothing but misery my whole life! And I appreciate all your good wishes, life should be more about poppies and tomatoes than teeth!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Mulch, I haven't read "Tooth Truth", but I have read "It's All in Your Head" and "Elements of Danger". The latter is by a journalist, Morton Walker, and I think it has essential information for anyone who goes to a dentist. Before they go.

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Mulch,

I will pray for you! The teeth thing sounds much more painfull than going after my left index finger with a sharp ax two weeks ago. The finger will heal. I didn't want to leave the pig roast at my friends high mountain cabin for stitches. Especially when I was sorounded by people who lovingly tended to my wound. Heck, five wonderful nurses compared to the emergency room? Oy vey! I am not mashuga!

Last fall job? Bring in the garden tools, sharpen and spray with high temperature pam. Bring out the hand plows for snow which usually falls before Halloween.

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry! I used that four letter S word!

This message was edited Sep 16, 2009 3:57 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

For a former Southern girl, please tell me what a hand plow is!

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Paj,

A hand plow for snow kind of looks like someone took the tub from a wheelbarrow and cut off the shallow end and then attatched a loop handle to the deep end. As you push this simple contraption along the ground, snow collects in the tub and you dump it at the end of your row.

If your snow is six inches deep, you can prabably clear a 20 foot long by 30 inch wide path in one pass before you have to dump your load. It's a lot easier than a shovel, but it can still be a good workout.

If you get one, make sure it has a metal tip. These are not made for clearing hard snow or snow piles that the street crews have left behind.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't think they are sold around here -- probably because we don't get enough snow to make them necessary.

Santa Fe, NM

It is awful to be sick any time. But, I would probably rather be sick in the winter if I had a choice because there isn't as much gardening or hiking, etc. It is a good time to rest and build strength. Mulch, you can be on-line more so we can tell stories!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I get rid of snow with a push broom.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Lucky you, Dave who is Dave! We need one of those hand plows (any idea where to get one, Pew?). Tony does a lot of snow shoveling in the winter. Today's weather in Dolores, CO... very cool, very cloudy, rain imminent. It's been that way for the past several days. Leaves are beginning to change on the trees (we have one tree that turned completely red almost overnight!). Autumn is here.

Santa Fe, NM

Here, too. Cool and raining on and off yesterday and today.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hmm. I like that hand plow idea, Pewjumper!

Mulch, wow. Sending you healing vibes...... but thanks for the Tooth Truth book suggestion, I will look into that. Joining the chorus here of wishing you speedy healing. And it does sound like you have the inner energy part of it very clear.

I confess I am somehow looking forward to winter.

Santa Fe, NM

We wouldn't mind one of those hand snow plows! Our driveway gets plenty of snow. I am looking forward to having the sun come out again. Maybe later today. The aspens are starting to turn and the wet weather isn't good for fall color. But, we sure need the moisture. Weatherpeople on t.v. seem to think Albuquerque might be able to catch up on their annual rainfall numbers for the year! Santa Fe still well below normal. Probably waiting for plenty of precip. when we get our roof done, which is starting to look like November. We'll have to send our birds to visit relatives so they won't catch cold! I am looking forward to our annual tai chi retreat and camp out next month. City of Rocks, again, this year. Southern New Mexico near Deming and Silver City. Dahlia, I will get pictures. It is your kind of place!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Sounds nice, Roybird!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Yep, we're setting records. From the Weather Underground site:

Quoting:

A record rainfall of 0.59 inch(es) was set at Albuquerque nm
yesterday. This breaks the old record of 0.57 set in 1915.

Additionally... a record rainfall of 0.66 inch(es) was set at
Albuquerque nm on September 16. This breaks the old record of
0.4 set in 1899.

The two day total of 1.25 ranks 10th for September two day
precipitation values.

Seems amazing, but half an inch of rain in a day sets records here.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

How wonderful for all your new plants dave! We are still hot/sunny, hot/sunny, hot/sunny like a broken record. Hoping for rain on Sunday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.