Hummingbird Adventures # 17

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey everyone! I'm glad you put up with all those blurry photos on the last thread, which were exciting because they were new members of our little hummer family here. If you missed them and would like to see them, this is where we came from:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1031199/

Don't have a clue where we are off to now, but I have some much better photos to share today, and maybe I'll even get caught up while the camera battery charges! (We can hope!)
As always, thanks for all of those who share their hummer's adventures with us. Always nice to see what other's hummers are up to. I understand a lot of them up north are getting ready to migrate down south. I wonder if any will come and visit me? I guess we'll just have to wait and see!
Feel free to post your hummer stories and photos if you have them, or just stop by and say "Hi".
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I guess I was too sick on the 1st to get many photos, and the ones I did get were so blurry, I deleted them. That is all except these few. Even if they are blurry.
That red patch is Zoom, and he was giving me "What For". I was so shocked at him flying an inch from my nose that this was the best I could do. Sort of scary!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

He flew off in a snit!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I thought this one was Zippy, and she showed up right after Zoom left.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I was greeting on the morning of the second by this young hummer. It looks a lot like Zippy except the size.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I think I'll call her Zippy Jr. or Jr. for short. LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Okay, now I know how she feels! BTW she is flying behind the hanging ferns and the gh wall.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Isn't she precious?

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

She's a talker, which gives credence to her being a girl. LOL! : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

You can see her to scale. She isn't any bigger than my fairy light globes.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I like this slightly different view too. It's so much easier if they perch to get a photo.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The two of them flew around like, well, hummers for a bit, then one of them perched on the fairy light basket.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This must have been one of those days I took a loong afternoon nap. It was the last photo of the day, and I did crop it so you could see the hummer better.
No worries, we haven't caught up yet. More to come.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I was greeted by Jr, the morning of the 3rd, when I opened up the gh. She was pretending to be a fairy light ornament. She is prettier than any ornament!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I zoomed in with the telephoto for this photo. I was halfway down the gh when I saw her.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Both Babies together! : - D

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

More baby photos!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

They posed quite some time for me. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Baby brother flew off.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The one that looks like Zippy, stayed on the perch.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I think he is a bully brother! Right before I snapped this, he flew into and hit his sister whose back was to him, while she was perched. Maybe I'll call him BB. Could stand for lots of stuff. Bad boy, Bully Brother. Anyway that is why she has her wings spread, and he's pretending he wasn't there, he didn't do it, and he doesn't even know that it happened. Yeah, except I saw it! Talk about sibling rivalry!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

He decided that it might be a good idea to fly a few laps around the top of the gh.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Now they are playing nice again. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sometimes they just look so sweet!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Synchronized head turning.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Back from doing ceiling laps. Whew, that's hard work!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Now they see something moving outside the gh.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

She plucks up her nerve and goes for the feeder and scores!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Her brother made lots of trips to the feeder, that day. I got really tired and this photo was taken the morning of the 4th. I have noted that this is the view he normally presents me with. LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Was able to get a little closer.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I have to pause here for a moment to say that I didn't get many photos at all that day and those were the best of them.
I noted that they were both flying more purposefully, and they appeared to be getting stronger. Our presence didn't seem to bother them much, but that of large birds flying over the gh, and other hummers intruding in the gh didn't go over really well.
They would go hide in the banana or perch on the bougainvillea in the corner til they felt safe. That night when I went out to turn off the light, because I was late getting the water on and had left the over head light bulbs on to remind myself to go back out and turn off the water. Anyway, I always carry a flashlight because I have a tendency to trip and it is the season for tarantulas to be on the roam. So when I turned off the overhead light I must have really traumatized the baby who was flying around inside the gh after dark. Ooops. He panicked and kept flying into the side of the gh. My Bad! : - )
I turned on the lights again until he was perched on one of the cords. Then I turned them off again. I came back a little while later, and checked with the flashlight just to be sure he hadn't hurt himself. I was worried and we do have the pool in there. He was fine. (BIG sigh of Relief!)
I'm tired so I'll try to finish up tomorrow.
Which will mean I'm only a day behind! LOL!
Sorry, had unexpected interruption.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Eugene, OR

Beautiful SW.....what a wonderful story!! I've never seen so many pics with open beaks, actually I don't think I've seen a hummer with open beak. Really good pictures!

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Wowser----those zoom shots are fantastic----love your new camera!

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Had me a couple of female Ruby-throated hummers at the feeder today. Here's one of them.

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Here's the other.

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

Oops, didn't attach the pic. Here it is.

Thumbnail by TheHackster
Eugene, OR

bltefft....nice pictures!! Little cuties for sure.

Sanford, NC(Zone 7a)

Awesome shots SW! It didn't take you long to figure out that camera. ;)

Very nice bltefft, great job! :)

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

I ordered my DSLR from Amazon today! It should be here within a week---I won't be able to take any zoom shots yet, because the lens in the kit only goes to 55mm. But I figure I can get used to how the camera body works and maybe I can pick out a zoom lens for Christmas. We usually have hummers around all winter---maybe they'll be cold and moving slower then!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

They seem to go torpid in the winter ima. Thanks everyone.
I thought I had posted a response to Sally, but I must of lost it. Been doing that a lot lately.
It was hot Sally, they pant to loose the heat. Although why they wouldn't leave the gh is beyond me. It get's hot in there even with the fans on. Up to 110 degrees while I was taking these photos.
Really sweet photos bltefft.
BTW, I usually just put it on the auto and zoom in for these photos. I'm forever forgetting what I did to achieve what effect. It's the camera, not the photographer.
If I wasn't running a fever I'd post some more hummer photos. Soon!
WIB,
SW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.