Hummingbird Adventures # 17

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hummingbird wars. They are moving really fast and look like blurrs. There were about five of 'em in there at the time.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Who is this?

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Definitely not a hummer. I think MIL said it was a California Golden Finch. I've seen it around the feeder too. Don't know why he flew into the gh. Was amusing (for me) to see the hummers strafe him. Poor bewildered bird.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Bully Boy wasn't happy about it, noticed he was all awhirl protecting that feeder.
Meanwhile darting up and strafing the poor finch.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Can't say as I blame BB. I admire him too. I mean the finch is what at least 4 times bigger than him, and BB keeps on the attack. Little Warrior bird!
Some things you shouldn't have to put up with though, and I guess the finch using his feeder holder as a perch kinda upset little BB.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Bully Boy, drove the finch into hiding. Only got the first part of the attack, when he realized that the finch was sitting on his feeder. BB, backwinged, and flew up and pecked the startled finch. I wish I could have caught it all, but it just happened so fast that all I could do was stand there with my mouth open, going, Wow!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Wisely the finch tried to fade into the woodwork.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

BB was guarding his feeder from below. Smart too!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

After all that activity BB needed fuel. It took him a long time to gather up his courage and feed. I don't think he knew where the finch was (above and behind him). Even still he was quick.
Eventually they must have figured it out 'cause the finch was gone when I went to close up for the night.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Previous post finished up the photos I took on the 17th. This one was taken on the morning of the 18th.
It's like she's saying "Good Morning".

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

There was a lot of activity during the day, and I tried to get in a few extra photos. I'll try to show the best ones. I noticed that she sure has a full tummy. I think she hides out a lot during the day when the guys are doing the HW thing.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This one tickled my funny bone. The hummer had been pretending to be a fairy light ornament just a moment before I caught him here.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I am a fairy light ornament. You do not see me. I am a fairy light ornament. Really I am!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Bamboo light ornament?

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Punk hummer? Has a mohawk 'do, and an attitude!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This is the last hummer photo I took before I left on vacation. DH is back with the boys and we're going to hang out. I'll have more hummer photos next week.
WIB,
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

So much DRAMA~~~

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Ima, I have got to send you some of the bird photos I've taken out here. I posted a couple on the Daily Pics Thread on the Photos forum.
Got to start a new thread to show the feeding frenzy among my sunflowers. Been lazy while on vacation. Sleeping a lot. At least I'm up to date for now on the hummers.
I hear the hummers are living it up at home. Never a dull moment! LOL!
I miss them. : - (
WIB!
SW

This message was edited Oct 2, 2009 7:04 PM

Eugene, OR

SW....glad you're getting some rest. Good job on the photos. Your finch is migrating, they left here about a month ago. That one is an American Goldfinch in it's winter finery. They spend the winter down south. We have some lesser goldfinches that stay all winter and house finches, but the golds all leave til spring.

We're turning cold so the hummers have moved on, I'll have to enjoy yours unless I manage to have one show up later, sometimes we see them in winter.

ima.....that picture through the feeder is great! Very clean feeder by the way. LOL

Eugene, OR

We had a really freaky storm come through early this evening. Went out to take pictures of the hail and found this little guy taking refuge on the feeder. He was really puffed up to keep warm.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sally,
What a great photo! Glad s/he found refuge. I've decided that I'm going to put that beach umbrella over the seed feeder to keep it dry in the winter. Also plan on moving their feeding area away from the h.birds and b.fly garden.
I'd seen a couple around, before I left but they can visit the gh if they want. All I ask is they find their own way out, don't eat the hummers, and don't go for a swim in the pool. LOL!
Didn't have a chance to get any hummer photos today. They were mad yesterday. Noticed their feeder had gone dry. They don't eat from the feeder by the door. They like the one inside the gh. The one at the door is to fake out the wasps! LOL!
Got to go, the cats are being pretty demanding. They were happy to see me so I didn't get the silent treatment from them.
More photos soon!
WIB!
SW

Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA(Zone 9a)

Today DH decided it was time to take down our backyard shade sails. In past years he has put them up with ropes, but this spring he used galvanized steel cable, stretched most of the width and length of the yard. Our resident Anna's HBs took to them right away----just the right size for their tiny feet. They've done a lot of touch-and-go-bug-snatching from these cables over the summer.

This morning I went outside to do a little watering, and I immediately got some SERIOUS "hover and scold" treatment. Checked the feeders, which were full and clean and antless, and the cats were ignoring them---so what was the problem? I was being dive-bombed by 5 different hummers! Then I realized the first shade sail was down, along with its nice cable-perches. The fuss they were making about it was totally out of control!!

Talked to DH, and he said he could rig a way to leave the cables up year-round---then he wouldn't have to figure out a place to store them and the HBs would be happy. The entire hour and a half he was re-rigging the cables, HE was getting the "hover and scold" treatment by mama, who was staying about 18" from his face, and her "wingman" about 3 feet from her.

The lengths we all go to to keep these little beggars happy.....LOL!

Thumbnail by imapigeon
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

And you said I'm the one with all the drama! I think hummers are just dramatic in their own way.
Mine have come by to visit, but mostly I have been trying to work when they are around and haven't gotten any photos.
I love to watch them in the courtyard by the fountain. Can't figure out how to get a photo since my windows are covered with hard water deposits. Tried CLR, and lime away, but nothing helped. Oh well. I'll have to pretend to be a tree or sneak up from the back side of the courtyard. Seems to visit about the same time each day. Hmmm.
The things we do. They are still eating off the feeder inside the gh, although I think they are about due for some new "nectar". I kinda hope they will stick around for the winter. I'd miss 'em.
Glad yours are happy now, can't wait to hear about the flap next spring when you put back up the shade cloth. LOL!
WIB,
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Nothing to report. I've seen a few around, but then the weather turned cold, and I got another fever. Will try again tomorrow.
Any one else having any luck with hummer photos?
WIB,
SW

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Was overjoyed to open the gh doors today, and see a couple of the hummers playing chase in the back corner. I'm not sure who these guys are, probably the babies, but am not sure. I've been a bad mama, and haven't filled their favorite feeder, just moved the other one. Seems to work best when both are up even though they only like to drink out the yellow one. Go figure. First sighting today was of a pair of them chasing each other around.
Some of these are pretty blurry, but there is color! Look in the center of this photo, almost a silhouette.
Enjoy!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

This one isn't so blurry, but can't crop it and make it easier to see. Besides you need to see the surroundings. LOL!
I really need to transplant those cannas outside of the gh.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I feel bad about this one, so blurry, but I cropped it so you could see the blur and color. Skip it if you want.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I think that this is Zoom's baby, the one I was calling Bully Boy. Again moving fast and very blurry. I had just gotten the zoom on the camera set for the far end and BB goes and moves half way up. What a brat!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

A fairly good one of him pausing between sips.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Cropped this one of him feeding his face. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Didn't crop this one.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Last one for today, and it's a cropped version of the one above.
I've missed hanging out with my hummer friends. I mean I've seen them but I haven't had my camera with me to get photos. I still have to take it easy for a few more days, but as I recover, I'll have my camera handy.
WIB,
SingingWolf

Thumbnail by SingingWolf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.