Pictures from Castle Lake

Santa Fe, NM

In the realm of houses, I'm not sure there is a perfect house. My experience is that if it isn't one thing, it's another. Even my wealthy friends have house problems periodically. It must be the normal state of houses. I was saying to a friend this morning that at least we don't have major earthquakes here and he replied, "Not Yet." : ) So, if you are alright in the moment that's as good as it gets! I had some very good Mexican coffee with sugar and cinnamon this morning.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

American Beauty.

Santa Fe, NM

That was a good movie. Didn't it have the scenes of the wind blowing a plastic bag? Which was incredibly beautiful. I tend to remember visual things from movies more than words or actors. Although that might have been "Magnolia".

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

That was American Beauty. The wind blowing the plastic bag was the impetus for Ricky to realize there was something of life beyond what we see that cared a great deal about us.

Santa Fe, NM

Thanks. I thought it was American Beauty. It was an unusual piece of cinematography.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Yes it was. I like the "home video" aspect of the shot. It puts it in touch with everybody, that they could take this shot, and brings them into the character's experience.

Santa Fe, NM

Also makes a visual statement about the beauty of ordinary life; one of the themes of the movie.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Exactly. Every moment has something in it if we are open to receive it.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you, I'll have to see that one. Don't do movies much but may in my new, imperfect but beautiful house.

;-)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

We only do movies at home, where we can eat, and drink, and pee when we need to (pause it!), and yes, smoke (we smoke cigarettes, don't hate me... I'm really content with my choices).

I've lived in many price ranges, from being a single Mom for most of my son's first 20 years (lots of financial struggles there, and being very broke many times), to being very wealthy with DH after we re-built his construction company (multi-millions), to back to Not So Much (okay... we've had to give up more than one could imagine... home, toys, beloved things). The (not chosen, but forced) 'downsizing' process can either make or break you (and you as a couple). Living in the moment and appreciating a leaf, a flower, a gesture from a loved one (my 80 year old parents married nearly 60 years send us loving gestures often, last week... a box of beautiful bulbs!), a well cooked meal, a hand held by Love, the struggle shared (after having struggled for many years alone)... not what we would have wished for specifically, but having the right person to live the moment with, whether good or bad, is a blessing.

From experience, and also for the record, having the wrong person in your life makes things worse, and is simply unacceptable.

Interestingly, these are trying times for so many of us, which makes understanding and empathy easier... but I (and maybe many of you) have lived through far less forgiving times when life was just difficult, no matter how hard you tried.

Having been forced to give up the first gardens I ever grew myself (in AZ), and our beautiful ponds and fish (I re-homed them through AZ Koi Rescue), sometimes, as I have once again been reminded how fragile life can be, I wonder if I should bother building anew, planting new flowers, if we should bother with new garden beds, what if more of the 'downsizing' happens?

Then, I hear Martina McBride singing "Build It Anyway"... have a listen...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr_iNfxZl0I

This message was edited Oct 13, 2009 12:11 AM

Santa Fe, NM

I know what you mean. Good song. These are interesting times for many people.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes. Thank you, Brenda, for the inspiration. You have a good strong heart.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Nice song. Building is certainly better than not, no matter what the outcome.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Agreed, my Mother always says that you must build things (and life) together with your spouse.

Good advice if you have the right spouse...♥

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Live certainly does offer ups and downs, Brenda. I have had similar ups and downs in my life and agree that we must keep on building. The alternative is despair. Your first garden was just practice for the new garden. It is always about renewal which is what life is about as well.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Every garden planted with loving care is a service to the earth, whatever happens later.

Whatever is created sooner or later is uncreated, maybe on such lengthy time scales as to not have much meaning for our short lives, sometimes on such short timescales it shocks us. Permanence is not a real factor in human life although we like the idea it is when we have what we want.

The important thing is to be expanding in expression of beauty, whatever the circumstances. The worse the circumstances, the more beauty is needed.

That is what I have learned from the rather drastic ups and downs in my life.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Realized I wanted to add an image of my painting Cup of Fire.

Thumbnail by mulchmania
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Mulch, that is absolutely stunning! Very wise words, all... and very appreciated.

Santa Fe, NM

Beautiful painting, Mulch! Glad you got through your surgery and hope you are feeling better.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ditto to what roybird said. Hope you are over the worst patch now Mulch.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Glad you are up and posting mulch. Here is to the flow of life.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Thanks all. I am in the recovery stage now, which is not so great, but is progressing better than I expected it would. Yay for that!!!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You seem to be in good spirits.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Actually I am in a state of deep happiness, it is only the physical body that is ailing, but it will come along.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

So glad you are on the road to recovery, Mulch!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes to all that, Mulch, and what a stunning painting. I really appreciate your words about creating.......... so true. Depending on time scale, everything is ultimately ephemeral.......

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

What a blessingly human you are, Mulcharooooooooooo!
-- Piper

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Mulch, I am glad to hear that you are on the upward swing (recovery stage). I am so sad that it had to get so dark before the dawn. Of course, your painting is stunning. I have to agree with piper

>>What a blessingly human you are, Mulcharooooooooooo!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'll third that - blessingly Mulcharoooooooooo!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Quadrupling - blessingly Mulcharooooooooo!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Dogs so often express things better than humans.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, Cosmo agrees with Kyla for sure. Me, I am still hearing the chorus Piper started. You are all too much. ;-)

Thumbnail by mulchmania
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

That is an excellent dog portrait, Mulch, whether you meant it to be or not... beautiful.

Hi Cosmo!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.