Baby clems from the not-a-coop with Evey

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

So far so good on mine they are all putting out new growth.

W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

Mine are all doing well - except the 2 surrounded by mold - and even they are still green and trying. Doing VERY well are 1 Candida, Mrs. Yuki, and Ilka. Amanda Marie, and the 2 Kaunitar have new growth but aren't really going great guns yet.

All of my perennials have slowed or stopped growing, so I'm a little surprised that the clems are doing so well. We went through a period of very cold nights and that usually stops everything.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

My Amanda Marie also had one stem die back almost as soon as it arrived, and it was the only one showing any distress at all, so I was a little worried about it, but now it's the only one with buds, so it rebounded very nicely. It probably overreacted to the distress and is now making a greater effort than the rest.

Candida is going great guns. It's at least three times the size it was when it arrived, but it's also the only one I'm growing in a big container. The rest are in the ground and may be overwhelmed for now by all the plants surrounding them. They're all about double their original size.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with the entire order. No losses, no laggards, no apparent signs of distress on any of them.

Baton Rouge, LA

I wonder what it is about Amanda Marie that makes it more sensitive. Candida is indeed a wonder... the ones I have here are growing like crazy! I've also been surprised at how well the Japanese cultivars have grown. From other things I had read, I thought they might prove to be finicky, but so far they are responding to being planted just fine.

Dathen, did you ever figure out what caused the mold in the area where you planted? I know you were thinking it might be the snail bait, but there are also some soil-borne fungi that look similar to the pic you posted. Just curious if you are planning any type of treatment for them.

Evey - We think it was a combination of things. I've planted a lot of things in that same area this summer; using the same soil amendments for all the plants; and that is the only spot that has the mold. It has been overcast with high humidity/dew point which we think could have contritbuted. We found a couple of small specks around another clem in a different area where I had put down a very small amount of snail bait as a preventive. So we're thinking that it was the heat, humidity, and snail bait combination.
My husband is picking up some fungicide this evening and I'm holding off on the watering until we get rid of the mold. It doesn't appear to be harming the plants yet.

Aurora, IL

My babies all look fine. Funny, the 2 in pots are growing. The ones in the ground are OK, but no new leaves. I use the same mix in the holes as in the pots.

I planted Amanda Marie last summer. She did NOTHING all summer, just sleeping, I guess. This year, she had a dozen blooms, then grew lots of green leaves. Had a few more blooms later. Next year, I expect a big show!

Please bear in mind, this is the worst environment I've ever tried to garden with. Never have I had plants grow so slowly. And there are pests here I've never encountered before. SO I'd expect you master gardeners to have much faster results with Amanda Marie!

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

"master gardener" *snort* no master here :D
dathen-I had some moldy white snail stuff too. Since it was around the hostas (die slime!) it was in shade, and it was so wet there that it got mushy and icky and white, then some got moldy. At least it stayed just where the granules were, and no plants were harmed.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

No MG here either.

Now I know what that yucky stuff I saw back in July was - snail slime/death. I trashed it but it looked awful. No plants were harmed here either.

gg: Thanks, it's good to know that the plants weren't harmed. I don't really think that these are going to be either.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Just checking and hoping that some of you from warmer climes were reporting in somewhere on how your clems from the clem not-a-co op last year are doing! Would love for everyone to report in and let me know how yours are doing. We are so far behind still with everything here, that I still can't tell how many of mine are going to make it through our l-o-n-g winter!

Richmond Hill, GA

Mrs. Yuki already bloomed for me.

Thumbnail by cattjovi
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Oh! Cat, she is beautiful! And doing great! Thanks for the picture! Really brightens my day, especially since we don't have spring yet. Gives me hope for mine too.

None in bloom for me yet but they have grown tremendously.

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Ilka has made one bloom so far. Another one (got 3 mixed up so don't know which one until it blooms) has 2 buds that will be opening any day now. No buds on any of the others yet, but plants look healthy.

Can't wait for the next non co-op! :)

ants

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Pinky

Thumbnail by venu209
Appleton, WI

Pinky is gorgeous. Wow.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

I love Pinky! That's one that will have to go on my list for the next co-op!

Aurora, IL

very pretty! No blooms on mine yet, but great growth on the ones that survived.

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I would like to know when their is a non coop for clematis! :)

Erin

keelybird - which clematises didn't survive?

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 11:17 AM

All of mine returned - most doing very well. I planted 2 in very low area with shade and they were the last to come up and are still very small, but survived when the expensive ones planted with them did not.

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

I think Evey having her own clem business would be more reason to have another non co-op...

ants

Nineveh, NY(Zone 5a)

I agree ants! :)

Erin

Aurora, IL

I lost Kaunitar and Reiman. My own fault. Tried to overwinter in pots and didn't protect them sufficiently. Ilka was doing very well, but I think the yard service may have hit it with weed killer. The service is going bye-bye, as they also hit a rose and a hosta! Ilka isn't dead - yet. Just wilted, so I cut her back. Tried to likewise with the rose, but it bit the dust fast and hard!

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

Evey is over on cubits, and sells clems retail on her own site. This wasn't a coop, it was a group buy type of thing that she "hosted". Doubtful she would do anything like this again on DG.

Ilka

Thumbnail by venu209

Terrific, Louise!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Very pretty!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

How pretty Louise..I got "Ilka" too but she hasn't bloomed yet..thanks for sharing...Jeanne

Ristimagi

Thumbnail by venu209

Beautiful, Louise but all your clem's are wonderful.

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Hmmm... My 'Ilka' looks quite different.

Got these mixed up. This is a picture of 'Ristimagi'.

ants

This message was edited May 19, 2010 8:33 PM

Thumbnail by antsinmypants

Might be the difference between NJ and MS.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Love to see the differences in them, and all the pretty blooms! I am thinking that there may be 2 of mine that didn't make it, as I am not seeing any signs of life from them. But, all the rest are showing a few new leaves. But, spring hasn't fully hit here yet, so am hopeful that the other 2 are just a little behind the rest. Can't wait to see mine flower like all of yours! They are just so pretty!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Do remember that the first blooms of a newbie clematis can and will be smaller and offcolour than those pictures we see advertised by vendors from Mature vines...Jeanne

Ants, I just went out to look at Ristimagi, and it looks JUST like your Ilka!

Thanks, Pirl and right back at ya :)

I'm still waiting for Ilka to bloom but I have her in less sun so she's pouting.

Marietta, MS(Zone 7b)

Hmmm... I got Ristimagi also... Must be one of the ones I got mixed up! :) Thank you so much for letting me know :)

ants

The last of my not a co-op clems. Miniseelik. The blooms are very small, no larger than a 50 cent piece. I like this one.

Thumbnail by venu209

It's sweet. Love the dainty leaves as well.

You do so well with clematis.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.