sweet potato vine

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I had some beautiful dark burgandy sweet potato vines tucked into my outdoor planters this summer. Can these be brought in and grown as house plants this winter? They root in water so easily, I could share many if they grow indoors. Thanks, Lou(dispatcher1)

Petaluma, CA

Hi Lou,
I haven't grown them inside before, but have protected one through the mild winters we have here, So I'll bet it would overwinter inside.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6A)

My Grandma grows them year round in her kitchen window. They get so big that it takes you 10 minutes to move the vine before you can even use her sink. LOL.
She has tremendous success with them.
Angie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I brought mine in and its about 3ft long-its beautiul-for however long it lives-i figure i can root cuttings all winter!!
dori

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

When you dig it up you might find a sweet potato tuber under the plant. I found a big one under my Ace of Spades. In the spring, support the potato with toothpicks half way out of a glass or jar of water. It will root and start little plants from all the eyes. When they get about 4 inchs long you can snap them off, put in water to root, and BINGO.....new plants for spring.

smithton, MO(Zone 5a)

but what about what they say about putting plants in soil that have gotten roots from rooting in water?.....i didnt think they would go from water to soil....i have a friend that wants a piece of my tri color potato vine......how do i do that?.......cindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.