Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

I like cooking with cast iron whenever possible, but I have arthritis in my shoulders and elbows. So, the cast iron cookware lives on the stove. Jim used to put it up in the cabinets, but after having to get up out of his comfortable chair a few times to get it down for me, he has decided he likes the look of the black iron on the black stovetop. It is a nice compliment to the other wrought iron accents in the kitchen. LOL.

Midland City, AL

Snakes in the trees! At least, they don’t bite. Snake gourds. I thought we had an agreement here; we would not grow any more snake gourds. We still have snake gourds from last year we haven’t found a use for. My dear wife claims these “planted themselves.”

When Kay lived far out in the woods by herself, she would grow them just for the purpose of being stolen around Halloween. She just liked shaping them so the fun was over when they were mature. She anticipated their “mysterious” disappearance. For boys of a certain age, walking back alone to where Kay lived and snagging a snake gourd was like a challenge of bravery. I gather it was sort of like the way my friends and I dared one another to go into the graveyard at night. The problem is now the boys of a certain age just walk in the front door (usually without knocking), hug Kay’s neck and head for the refrigerator. She lost her spooky aura somewhere. Her snake gourds are no longer sought after as trophies of courage.

Almost everyone wants to let them grow on in the tree as they are. It will look so weird! But, I’ve been out voted. No one knows how we will get them down out of the tree when they are mature. The tree is on a wild, steep bank. And, what in the world are we going to do with gourds that will probably end up looking like oversized baseball bats? I’m told when they grow hanging, they tend to grow straight. Well, no one can say the people at Amargia are out of their gourds. Obviously, some people here are really into their gourds. I guess I will head over to the Ornamental Gourd forum to see what I can find out. Jim

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I love cast iron pans too and mine stay on the stove for the same reason. My stove is white and counters are brown. I'm a shortie. 5'2" and my overhead cabinets were made for someone over 5'6". Since i no longer climb on ladders or chairs my pots and pans are stacked up in the open or hanging on hooks on the walls.
Talking about being short reminds me of the song (from the 80s) "Short people got nobody" Both my rotten DDs would sing that to me everyday and laugh away. They're 5'8" and 5'11"
Kids just have no respect for their elders. LOL

I don't know if it is better nutrition, growth hormones in milk or whatever, but people seem to be getting taller. In my generation, at 6', I was a rarity. These days, when I go shopping, I almost always encounter some young woman I can see eye-to-eye with. That is nice for me because I don't have to pay the high prices at specialty shops to find clothes that will fit. The clothing industry is finally acknowledging women my height exist. Not so nice for petite women, I would imagine. We are also finding that size is an issue with tools in the garden, even with things as simple as shovels.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, I can never find pots I like that are light enough that I can afford. I like cast iron but I gave it up years ago because it was just too darn heavy.

I suppose it IS time to think about giving up my cast iron, but it was the one pot and pan material I could feel healthy about using. Health professionals say using aluminum pans can contribute to early senility. Teflon coatings to some cancers. Now, I guess, there are also health issues with cast iron. Dropping it on my foot is a health threat.
Good stainless steel is so expensive though. And, it seemed like every time one of my daughters or the other young women at Amargia went out on her own, I needed new cookware. It seems never to occur to them to take the cast iron. :-)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Maybe i ought to come stay at Amargia for awhile. I'd definately take off with the cast iron.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

If you tell them about the crime before you commit it, you're nearly sure to be caught.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I don't know. They seem pretty forgiving to those who took off with their good stuff. I could always leave a packet of black eyed susan seeds.

We will part with our cast iron for its weight in seeds. Do leave me one of the frying pans. I will need it to keep my DH in line. I have only a fairly light wooden rolling pin and he is very hard-headed.

Since we are on the subject of wrought iron, I described the raised planter I made from an old wrought iron table and a children's swimming pool on another thread. We were planning to plant it with late season tomatoes. Look at how well it went. It is a standing bed. It went so well I will have to come up with a design that can be worked from a sitting position. Steel drum and an infant's pool, maybe.

Thumbnail by Amargia
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My first-ever tomato season is almost over, Kay, how late can you folks grow tomatoes? (Memo to self - bring the nice pots in before snow flies!)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Kay, Who'd of thought a tomato plant could be pretty. The way it hangs down is wonderful. I want one for next year. DD swiped my old wheelbarrow for a planter. I may swipe it back for 2 tomato plants.
LOL! I was always threatning my DH with my cast iron skillet too.
Our first frost is around the middle of October. The first of November in the valley. Congrats on your first tomato season. Tomatoes will never be the same to you again.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I think you're right.

Way to go, Carrie! I think it was my second or third attempt before I grew decent full-size tomatoes. Varieties like Roma and Beefsteak stop producing in late October. Grapes and cherry types seem to be able to handle the cooler weather better. Is it already cooling off there?

Concreting the edge of the wooden planter is not going as well as I had hoped. I used a mud recipe with fine sand and a high percentage of portland so I could get that glassy smooth texture, but without the sticky clay, it does not adhere as well. However, an idea occured to me while I was struggling. I could use pipe insulation to cover the sharp or splinter-y edges of planters. It is soft, durable and already slit along its length so it can be slipped over water pipes to keep them from freezing. It is not expensive, cuts with scissors and could be done in a few minutes. Duh-h-h. NOW, I think of that. Will have to finish this one with the concrete mix. But, when my mind ran with the idea, Cathy4, it also occurred to me that you might be able to pad the edge of your concrete block planter with one of those colorful pool toys called Noodles cut in half lengthwise. They are inexpensive, soft and durable. They feel like they are made from a similar material to what pipe insulation is made from. They can be cut easily with a serrated knife. (I know because I used one for a very different kind of craft project.) Pool Noodles can be found easily here at dollar stores. Probably to late in the season in MO, but it is something you might consider next year. That's me! Always a day late and a dollar short. LOL. *Kay

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Well Kay, I happen to have noodles in the back of my car, I use them in the pool as resistance when I exercise my legs. I'm going to give one a try, and i don't care if it looks silly either. Hmm, blue or yellow?

Midland City, AL

It WILL be eyecatching. I don't think I have ever seen one in a muted color. I would go for the screaming yellow myself. LOL.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ouch, screaming yellow hurts my eyes!

my neighbor already says my raised bed looks like a grave, wait until she sees the bumpers on the edges, hahaha!

Jim is just being contrary. Reverting to his former _erk self, because my daughter bought him a new dress shirt in yellow. A soft autumn yellow. Everything the man owns is blue or black. From his vehicles to his wardrobe. We are trying to get him to overcome his fear of warm colors. He actually looks best in warm, earth tones.

Cathy, I suppose you could paint it with an oil based paint or just put it there while you are working. Of course, you could create a concrete hand to go in the planter that is making some sort of rude and dismissive gesture. It would depend on the kind of future relationship you want with your neighbor. :-)

This message was edited Sep 10, 2009 12:44 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

ROFLOL
i'M Speachless

Hmmm, while I LOVE the hand idea, I'd better not, we can't afford to move and she can be a real stinker when provoked :D

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

An afterthought for Kay. I bought my DH a lightyellow shirt once. His eyes were hazel with gold flecks and that shirt brought out his beautiful eyes and just like Jim, He would'nt wear it. Made me SO mad. Think that was the first time i cut my hair short. Made him mad too.

that was a very mature way to get even, haha!

Midland City, AL

I’ll wear the shirt! I’ll wear the shirt! Would not want my DW to get any ideas. I love Kay’s long hair. Not too long ago she got it into her head to have it cut. Thankfully, the beautician talked her out of it. Kay doesn’t like that it is as fine as baby’s hair and an ambiguous, in-between color. I love it for those same reasons. She has always made me think of the mermaid in the John Waterhouse painting. Now she is a "mer-matron." Big deal. Why do women feel they have to cut their hair when they reach a certain age? Is it just the fashion or something.

It is the wolf hours. Thunder woke me up. Pain won't let me get back to sleep. Has not been much going on around here recently. It has been raining and is expected to do so for two more days. The plants seem to like it, though. The pine cone ginger has reached 6’ and the gardenia is re-blooming. Jim

A “John Waterhouse painting?!” LOL. The old saying is true, love IS blind. I like the “mer-matron” thing. It sounds so much nicer than “the old sea witch.”

Hummingbirds are everywhere today. Many more than we normally have. I guess Amargia is now a guesthouse stop for hummers on the move. They are so fun. *Kay*

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I like, no, I LOVE the way you two talk to each other on these threads!

I used to have boy-short hair - like it is in my profile picture. When I met DH, it was long, though, and I wore glasses. I guess babies had taken away the time for the hair cuts every six weeks. So when i met him, he had seen all these pictures of me with short hair and contacts and he begged, wrong, he asked me to consider getting my hair cut short again and to start wearing contact lenses. And once it's short it's pretty hard to go back to long, especially with curly hair, because it grows out as much as it grows down! Every summer, when it gets hot, I can't stand it, and i have it all cut off, and every fall I try to grow it out. One winter isn't enough (with my hair, at least) and when it gets hot, I have it all cut off again.

Now THIS summer, it never got hot enough to need a hair cut. I cut my bangs myself once because they were bugging me. Once I went to the hairdresser because ut had been like 8 months and it was all crooked - I just wanted it evened out. She said "tsk tsk this is in terrible shape" and cut off too much. It looked better after, but it set me back two or three months. So I still can't get it into a pony tail, which, as everyone knows, is the definition of long.

Thumbnail by carrielamont

I’m jealous, Carrie. I always wanted curly hair. I would even settle for some wave and body. I finally concluded it was just too much work and expense to try to make it that way though. Being so tall and muscular, I’m afraid I would look mannish if I cut it short since I have no curl to soften the look so it’s good Jim likes it long.

Thanks Cando, I ran with your idea about the concrete pavers, in an odd way. I pour 2” thick concrete circles in a level place. Then, roll them where I want them when they are cured. They are the size of cartwheels. Once the “wheels” are leveled individually and with its neighbor wheels, I put the same mud mix in the empty spaces between and smooth it out. It makes the job easier because I can do the labor in bite size chunks and still have it smooth and easy to roll on. We’ve even made up a song to sing while we roll the “wheels” into place. We sing it to the tune of “The Flintstones” cartoon theme song. (“We’re a modern, stoneage community garden.”) Jim says the hardest part about this new method is he has to listen to us sing. I love music, but have absolutely no talent.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Can I be the choir director (volunteer) at Armagia?

Midland City, AL

PLEASE!!!! Kay and her sister were pulled over by the police in Florida because they were singing as they drove along! They were THROWN OUT of the church choir, and it WAS for their singing. You've got to know it is bad when a church choir won't have you! Still want the job?

The police pulled us over because he thought we were drunk or something. Not for our singing! The church chior director did politely suggest to Jackie, that her talents might be better used elsewhere in the church. I was never thrown out of the choir! I was asked to sing at my brother's church, in fact. My singing isn't THAT bad. And, others here are quite good. You're hired, Carrie. *Kay*

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

It simply amazes me what you and Jim can come up with in you garden engineering. I can come up wih ideas but than don't have a clue how to proceed. With your descriptions i do so want to see Amargia.
I know you were pulled over for your INTHUSEASTIC singing. The only way to sing. Carrie if you come and be choir director. I'll come and do my off key singing. Our reputation will be known world wide.

Midland City, AL

Cando, if I want a long-haired wife, it is probably not a good idea for me to mention that her brother's church has a strong outreach program to the deaf and hearing impaired in the community and that she was asked to "sing" for the deaf in the congregation. Is that correct? I mean, I do want to do this husband thing right.

Amargia looks like a madman's construction site sprinkled with flowers at the moment, but we are getting somewhere. Kay's daughters have decided that as soon as we have Amargia looking good, their mother and I must have a "proper" wedding. (Never mind the fact that both of the married ones eloped!) You can all sing at my wedding! (Off key, if Carrie can't make it.)
Jim

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh wonderful. I accept the invite.
I've seen the singing in sign language.
It was so beautiful and graceful almost dancelike. But than we also heard the organ playing. Was that what she did?
Don't think you have to worry about your long haired wife Jim. You two are stuck with each other. Smile.
I'm still working on wheel chair crochet bags for holding garden stuff. I've got birdies suggestion for a waterbottle worked out. Also for 2 smll handled tools. Overall size i cant seem to work out.
Vickie

Midland City, AL

The strange project with the grounding wire had me confused. I think I'm getting it! The question is, will the birds?

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

If you put water or feed in it, They'ed not have a problem. At least Arkansas birds would'nt. Don't know about Alabama birds. We don't have any birds that'd nest in the open.
I'm using craft velcro(sticky on one side) for making a rearraingable calender, I saw on the package you can use it for attaching small tools and flashlights and numerous other things to walls, cabinets. outside storage. Wonder if that idea could help any of you in anyway. It's not expensive and i got it at walmarts in the craft section.
Finally started that vitamin thread.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1040254/

Jim is a firm believer that people should see “the messy underside” of creativity. Those home improvement shows where nobody gets dirty or sweaty drive him up the wall. He says it just isn’t reality. I figure if people really want reality, they would not be watching TV. The “mystery” project IS a bird bath. Not finished yet. We have one that is finished, made from an old satellite dish. It is in full sun though. The water gets so hot midsummer, the birds don’t like it. There is a spring in the woods nearby so the birds can afford to be choosy. We wanted another bird bath for the shade near the deck.

Cando, don't I remember your writing something once about crochet websites? Can you point me toward a good one? *Kay*

This message was edited Sep 21, 2009 4:06 PM

Midland City, AL

Photo: Dish Network for the birds.

Thumbnail by seacanepain
Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Now that birdbath i could handle. I've got an old large one that i had no ideas for. I could paint it too. and is that a rock in the middle and is it cemented in or glued?

This is a good site for crochet patterns.
http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.