Where's Catscan?

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

thats it I am running out to get some knitting needles and yarn...

Clarkson, KY

lalalalalaaaa........

Lodi, United States

Yes, MissJestr--it does have that effect--I bought more yesterday and I already have a huge stash....

I first learned about the "Continental Method" from Elizabeth Zimmerman"s "Knitting Without Tears"...which is a great book, but not for the faint of heart. She is very opinionated. But the upshot was that The Continental Method was much faster and more logical, and you did get that lovely twist with the purl. She also thought that you should use circular needles for everything--also was a great proponent of The Steek--which terrifies me to this day.

She died some years ago and her daughter took over the business--Zimmerman is practically an obsession with some knitters--I think they are radical thrill seekers--I will never Steek!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Zimmermann

Clarkson, KY

I've never liked circular needles. But I keep my right needle propped in my lap and drop the knitting onto that as I go. With the circular needles the knitting is never off what I'm holding up.

Conroe, TX

Okay, this is far too long a thread to try to figure out, but did anyone figure out which person Catscan is or does it remain a mystery?

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Some of us figured it out. It's the one with the twinkle......

Clarkson, KY

Yes, the lurky-hidey, but very definite twinkle!!

Lodi, United States

I twinkle, I shine, I wear white, I hide, I have bangs.....:0)

This message was edited Aug 2, 2009 2:18 PM

Clarkson, KY

waxes poetical, wanes...hmmm...heretical?...nah....anybody?

Lodi, United States

Heuretical, dear grow...heuretical....

Kingman, AZ(Zone 7a)

Cantyou see her Aura shining?

Clarkson, KY

She surely has a Mandelbrot set for an aura....

Clarkson, KY

http://www2.yk.psu.edu/~jmj3/defheu.htm

For those of you as baffled as I was.....

{{{yeah...ya got me, Mme Vocabularian...lovely!}}}

Richmond, TX

And we're less baffled now?

Clarkson, KY

perhaps not...but I seen my duty an' I done it. I think at this point anything less than expliquations from the great Catscan herself is inadequate. I thought I understood and then forgot ten minutes later...lolol.

Lodi, United States

Good Heavens, grow! Could you have found anything more abstruse? (I know you love that word).

Actually I think the proper term is heuristical--but it didn't work as well.

It is a very simple concept designed to permit life to go on despite raging theoreticians like the menacing Derrida...Deconstruct that, you monster!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuristic

I flit, I float, I fleetly flee, I fly......

This message was edited Aug 2, 2009 6:42 PM

Richmond, TX

Ah, that's better ! Thanks Catscan.

Clarkson, KY

I do love that word and it was most abstruse...but I was not sufficiently conversant (here I go) in the many permutations of heuretical that I could evolve, devolve or revolve the thing into a simple Wikipedia "heuristic"

...and hey, the non-sense tickled me...what can I say ^_^

Lodi, United States

A kinder, gentler Mandelbrot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJE35wX1nQ

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Some of the results from today's yarn/roving dyeing party. Sort of Mandelbrot-ish.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

These are mine!

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Clarkson, KY

yummy!!

Lodi, United States

Oh my! Is that ALL kool aid?

Clarkson, KY

just listening to the lovely Baroque Mandelbrot..not nearly so queasy...and yes, I like baroque...

Richmond, TX

That's an impressive display; I like your choice of blended colours.

Richmond, TX

Those greens would be perfect for THE HAT.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I like baroque too Grownut. I am especially fond of Pachelbel.

Not kool-aid. These are jacquard acid dyes that we use. They are very good for protein-based fibers, but not for plant-based.

Richmond, TX

NO, WAIT! I didn't say that. My GD, I mean DG identity must have been stolen! I know nothing...

Lodi, United States

{{{Pst! Porkpal--I think Claire is so distracted by today's little fling with jacquard acid dyes, that she may not have noticed the unfortunate reference to the "tuque"--so don't anguish...."}}}

Coushatta, LA

So which one are you?Are you the one in the very back surounded with the people with black on?

Lodi, United States

Yes! That's me! I am so relieved....:0)

Coushatta, LA

You are very pretty.How many more guessed that was you?

Lodi, United States

Thank you:0)

I think three: grownut, porkpal and greenhouse_gal--and as a prize, none of them gets an alien caterpillar hat! I am happy to let you know, you will not be getting one either.

And here again is what none of you is getting:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12785085@N05/2087714616/in/photostream/

Coushatta, LA

LOL!!!

Gorgeous yarn, Claire! Don't pay any attention to anything Porkpal just said. She's ingested way too much mercury, poor creature, and she's gone quite mad.

What a relief, Catsy; I guess it was worth all the mental gymnastics and anguish to come up with the answer! I pity the poor souls who couldn't guess; I can just picture all those hats humping their various and variegated ways across the countryside to their new owners.

Clarkson, KY

The HATS go marching one by one, hurrah...hurrah...
The HATS go marching one by one, hurrah...hurrah...
The HATS go marching one by one,
But the little one just looks too a-li-un...
And they all go marching round, making the rounds!
They'll say we're all clearly insane! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Ooooh, a new wassail....yaaaay!!!! Wait a second, what is this hat you're all talking about? Methinks I am forgetting something....

No, no, no! No hats for you! They're for those other people who couldn't guess where Catsy was, really. No one would dream of talking about a hat for you, especially not a pink and chartreuse caterpillar hat, of course not! {Do you think that will throw her off the scent?}

Lodi, United States

Well, she's Canadian--so I think she is inclined to give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand, she has shown herself to be a master of deception...

Can anyone see if she has barred the doors? Stacks of plywood in the yard....?

No, Moxon, you do not have hurricanes in Iowa...we are not idiots....

Clarkson, KY

((just think...if the knits were charteuse then the pink purls would make rings...and if the knits were pink then rings of chartreuse.....ooh la laah!!))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.