the year's project part 2

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Since the thread has reached the designated length for renew and at the suggestion of Kylaluaz, here is a shiny new thread. Part one was here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/985750/

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Love to see the way your garden is coming together! Wish mine was coming together as quickly, but it is either time, gumption, money or muscle that seems to be in short supply. Maybe I can pick up some good tips along the way from your project. I think I will see if I can grow my late summer blooming perrenials from seed instead of buying them from High Country Gardens.

Too continue from the other string; Colorado has now made it legal too collect your own rain water.

Mark Twain once said in his book "Travels Out West", "Whisky is for drinking and water is for fighting over...." Nothing seems to have changed in over 130 years!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Dave, in answer to your question, yes indeedy there most certainly are herb fairies and I feel rather certain some have already taken up residence.

thanks for the new thread.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

We're all learning from each other Pewjumper. I've certainly done a lot of reading on what others have posted. Too bad about the rainwater law. Seems crazy. For us, rainwater just runs off and down to the river and away. Makes too much sense to me to slow it down and let a little more soak in. It just takes longer to get downstream and does the plants more good while on its way.

Kyla, I'm quite certain there is life in the garden and that it is more than the sum of the plants, microbes, and animals that are there. I'm waiting for it to form and grow now too and am curious as to how it will be in a couple years.

Santa Fe, NM

There are herb fairies, of course. They tend to be a little sharper and quirkier than flower fairies but not as brittle as frost fairies. Nor as sparkly. Some herb fairies can be rather bitter and hard to take. The Valerian fairy smells musty and puts people to sleep. But, she is quite old and doesn't care. Some are amazingly powerful and others, like the lemon balm fairy, are pretty laid back. Thanks for the new thread, Dave. You could probably tell us about the oregano fairy.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

And the thyme fairy and the veronica fairy, nae doot.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Right now they seem to be figuring out what to do with their new home. I am observing much plant growth, so that is a good sign.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well of course there are herb fairies!!! I think they are very gentle calm and not as flitty as the summer and crystal fairys but quirkier as roybird says. I'm not sure that they even fly much.

Santa Fe, NM

They might fly more like bees.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

They truly might be bumbly fairys roybird. Good insight!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

The dill fairies are not bumbly however.

Santa Fe, NM

The dill fairies are airy. What about the hearty thistle fairies who must be feed whole oats and shortbread cookies? They like bagpipes. Tend to dress in plaids.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Just a note that I'll be on vacation the next week so I won't be posting for a bit.

(Zone 7a)

Those comfrey fairies are real home bodies - ever try to subtract a comfrey plant from its spot? Maybe they'd fly better without those clodhoppers on their tootsies. Y'all are a wonderful hoot :) Sorry to find this just as Dparsons is going on vacation - may the magic follow you on your vacation, Parsons :)

Karen

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Off topic a bit, but as we're discussing fairies here... you'll all be pleased to know that after many refreshing cocktails at our barbeque yesterday I decided to dance like a garden fairy...

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Was there a video taken perhaps? Or photos?

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Brenda, were you having a flit?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Was there a costume, perhaps, involved?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

1. Unfortunately, there are not only photos, it's rumored that there are videos. (NO, you will not see them, LOL!)
2. Please define "flit". I think I was having one.
3. No costume. (This year...)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, my, Brenda, you torture us with withheld images.

I imagine you will be quite stunning and look far better in them than you fear. Despite the lack of costume.

Picante will have to do the honors of defining "flit", but my guess is it is a fit with libations lubricating it (the "l", dontcha know.)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Brenda, I am so sorry I didn't drive up for the party. Won't miss the next one!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Have a great vacation Dave-who-is-Dave!!! I'm sure you looking like very flittish Brenda doing your dance ^_^ I think we should plan another group dance for Fall Solstice ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Hear! Hear! More solstice dancing!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Indeed!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I meant a fairy flit. You know. Maybe the proper expression is not "having a flit" but "doing the flit", as in doing the foxtrot or what have you. I'm really not up on faerie linguistiks.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, I'm quite sure I was doing the flit...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I shall have to practise my flitting so I'm ready for solstice. I just might have to wear sparkly wings to get it right. I bet the wings would work well for 'bumbling' too.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

You know how to do the bumble?? Where'd you learn that?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I think, for some of us, it comes natural.

Santa Fe, NM

Brenda, you have good parties! We have an equinox coming up before the solstice, I believe. Perhaps an Equinox Dance? With Autumnal costumes? Up in the mountains among the golden aspens and dark green pines.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Any excuse for a party, I say!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

I think it's very funny that you silly faerie people have taken over Dave's thread while he is on vacation!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

tee hee

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That's a very fairy like thing to do.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sometimes threads just 'flit' away ^_^

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

snort!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Poor Dave. I have been chuckling all through this thread. Funny! everytime I see the "snort" I visualize Lilli Tomlin in her red shirt and nose wrinkled.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, no, Soferdig, I feel sure that Dave who is Dave will come back and be delighted with all the fun things that have happened and all the fairies that have visited and contributed to his project! I feel sure of it. He may even play us a bagpipe number in gratitude! The fairies would like that very much.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Bagpipes......Fairies, Hmmmm?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I am back and am quite glad you are all having wonderful fun. We had a great time prancing about in the Black Hills of South Dakota, looking at rock-carved heads, crawling through the insides of caves, and collecting mushroom samples and nice rocks.

I do think we should go about getting pictures of bsavage dancing, but we may have to hit up Mr. Savage - either that or select an evening when bsavage as had a couple refreshing beverages again. :)

Back on the subject of my garden, it has grown noticably over the past week. Many of the plants are bigger or leafier. I have more Agastaches in bloom, and my Salvia Azurea are budding and should flower soon. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.