the year's project part 2

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't know if chippymonks are evil or not either Dahlia. I know they will steal cherries from a cherry tree -- but I don't think they eat the roots of plants. But I have lots of them and maybe they are helping to destroy my irises. Can't tell. Whatever it is comes from beneath.
In the front yard, something is eating my lilies from the top, but I am pretty sure that is a bunny because I see it sometimes and in the winter, I see its footprints in the snow. I haven't done anything to drive it away. It seems to live in the neighbor's yard or perhaps in one of my forsythia bushes.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The chippymonk is welcome to the nanking cherries (although Chick and Dee might have issues).

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Are nanking cherries too small to eat? I have always wondered about them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Nope but not a great pit to meat ratio. Not the sweetest cherry but lots make jam and jelly from them. I have receipes but I never get around to it. I like to leave them for the birds.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Deear Dahliea, can I get there without riding in the car? If I go in the car, I'll pant all the way there, I can't help it. Your squirrels sound yummiey. Lovey, Piper

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Just looking at flower color variations on my plants. Some of the S. azurea have azure flower, some quite a bit lighter. Take a look.

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

And the lighter ones.

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

And then there are these guys that change continuously on the same plant even.

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I love the deep hue of the Salvia azurea in the first photo. I really need to try that one again, it has such an amazing color.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Very pretty. Is it the soil, do you think, that makes the two blues differ so much?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The plants are right next to each other. Could be nutrient differences but I thought variations between individual plants. I like them both.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

dparsons, Lovely Salvias, A lot of salvias are not hardy here.

Here is a picture of my one and only Oregano, It is Greek Oregano, which I use for cooking. I have an order coming from High Country, to be shipped on 14th. I will see if by chance I can get them to include one of the hardy (supposedly) Oreganos.

Sun is shining so I better get out to the garden and spread some more compost and shreds.

Thumbnail by rutholive
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Greek oregano is reliably hardy here but not as pretty as the less hardy ones. I have tried several and have not been successful. I have Ditany of Crete in my front yard now -- bought it at the DBG sale thinking it would be hardy. Have since learned that it isn't. I will enjoy it as an annual. Maybe David Salman of High Country Gardens will have discovered a hardier ornamental one by now. I know he has been looking for one.

Santa Fe, NM

I like the color variation in the salvia. The agastache looks quite nice, too. I keep planting more of it.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

A few of the ornamental Oreganos are rated to zone 5 so you have a good change of making them work rutholive.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I wonder if I dare'st try salvia azurea? Very prettiful Dave-who-is-Dave.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Worst case you could grow it as an annual. It did well from seed.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.