CLOSED: Free Seed For Newbies! 7/27/09. Come Join Us!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1018213/

Directions to free seeds is here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1010521/

Thought I'd make another thread before I left for work as the last one was fast approaching 200 posts.

Hope everyone has a great day!

This message was edited Jul 27, 2009 5:53 AM

Thumbnail by cue_chik
Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Ok I 'm the tag along today LOL

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Good morning Everyone. Foggy out here. Glad to hear you are feeling better Cue. Soon as I can see where the heck I'm going it's weeding time for me again. But I'm about to get caught up on that job. Have some poison ivy to get around first though UGH. Done got into some of it last night which is what I get for not wearing my gloves when weeding that section. Maybe DH remembered to go pull it out for me before he left for work this morning. He's not allergic to it.
Trying to think what to bid on the new seeds Mekos put up. Don't have anything to beat the bid already up though POUT. Oh well, I can always wait until she has hers going good then beg for some later LOL.

Orlando, FL

hi all good morning a little late.
off to work have a good day all
de blond

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Morning everyone! Another busy day at the office . . .

I'll check in later.

Leola, PA(Zone 6a)

Morning everyone. That is such a magical picture, Cue! I want to have a backyard like that lol.

Hi everyone. Cute Mindy.LOL I've been filling little baggies with seeds all morning so they can go in the mail. One of the bidders didn't send the address info. yet so if anyone sees starlight around, let her know, mail can't go without names and addresses. Great auction. This one should be interesting. Mindy get in there and bid, you never know if yours is good enough or not. It's just to have fun anyway. Not to intimidate anyone. Cue, I'm sending you a cutting of the black fingery potatoe vine and the black african poinsettia plant so watch out for the rooted plant. I will wrap it good. Got to go take care of stuff outside for a while, and get my compressor put on and gassed up for my truck. Then got to go get an altenator for the hubbys truck. It's going out. Man all this at the same time. Will check in a little later. Have a good day everyone and don't work too hard.
If you haven't made bids for the new seeds yet, get on over there. You never know, yours may be the one I'm looking for.

Just got a d-mail from the management of DG and they officially CONGRATULATED me on the creative way to trade seeds, so the AUCTION is officially ON!! NOW GO MAKE THOSE BIDS.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Congratulations Mekos on the encourgement from management. I've been thinking and thinking and have a question does it have to be seeds or can I offer something else like a garden themed crocheted doily? I'm askinig here first so as not to stir up a flurry over there.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

siichan- isnt that a great pic? Im almost positive it was photohopped, but still.. looks like a gardeners paradise. I say we all move there and start our own commune...ROTFL.

mekos - will keep my eye out for the package! Glad the staff approved the seed auction, told ya they would :)

ok, can anyone suggest a few good places to get seed catalogs from?

This message was edited Jul 27, 2009 5:41 PM

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Park Seed http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/GP/homepage/page1

High Country Gardens http://www.highcountrygardens.com/

No catalog, but I love the seeds from Botanical Interests:

http://www.botanicalinterests.com/store/shop.php

Those are some of my favorites . . . .

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks loca. I ordered one from parkseed, one from burpee, and one from high country gardens.... will be like shopping the xmas catalogs when they arrive...LOL

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

High Country Gardens is one of my favorites - I want at least one of everything they have - lol. Botanical Interests has some neat seeds as well. Small family run Colorado company - excellent customer service and all my seeds have had pretty close to 100% germination. Their seed packets are a wealth of information!

I also get the Burpee Catalogs and Seed Saver's Exchange - nice catalog.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

no kidding loca.. just checked out BI... wow.. i want one of everything too!!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

They are cool peeps and they sell great seeds. I have bought a lot of seeds from them. They don't have the variety some places have, but they have a nice selection and they have a good work ethic . . . and I like that!

Cue, try thompson and morgan. Google them and they are online and have catalogs they can send out. You sign up on the site.
Mindy , I don't know about the doily trades on the auction forum since it's for trading seed. I personally would be ok with it, but you might want to ask the administration about tradeing that on the seed forum. I honestly don't know, but if ya want to trade me for seed, just d-mail me with what you'd like for one. We can work a trade. If admin. says it's ok, we'll sure put them up and trade them. There is even another forum that is called swaps trades and other stuff(or something like that -you might even try and see if it works for those as well. Show them off everywhere you can. They are beautiful.
Siichan, you got to watch that Cue- She is over at my auction thread trying to hijack my bidders, already.( Hehehe.)
Hi Loca. I guess Blondie is still at work. Where is Seray hiding? And Flower? Anyone know when Arejay is getting back? Where is Al? I missed that great Bar-b-que.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

the plan is... if I hijack all your bidders, then i wont have any competition for the puya seed... mwahahahahahaha

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

and BTW.. in case anyone is interested... park seed is having a seed sale.. go check it out www.parkseed.com

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

OMG - just what I need . . .

more seeds

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL... well, me either, but for 75 cents.. its hard to pass them up

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

I hear ya there. I'm never one to pass up a good sale. I'll check it out when I get home from work. Later y'all!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Just busy trying to get stuff done around the house. We're packing up for a road trip South to Washington and Delaware. Wifey has a music conference next week, later on we're bummin' around the Fenwick Island Atlantic coast area on the way home. Leaving early Thursday, gone about 10 days or so.

Al

Hi Everyone

Digging up Cannas to send out before the storm. That auction is a hot place!! Maybe we should talk Al into flying to Chile to get some Puya. Cue there's a black Puya. Check out this site. http://fcbs.org/images/Puya/pu06.jpg

I'm trying to get seeds for Mekos to auction. :)

Hi Al

Sorry to miss the picnic. Have a great time. Be safe.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

ROTFL....HAHAHAHAHAHA.. I got to have that plant now.. not because its black, but because it borders on obscene!!!!

I tried but it said access forbidden. I can't see it. Where do they have seeds for it at? Where can I see the picture?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

here mekos, try this link

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Puya_Raimondii.JPG

Try it again Mekos. It works for me.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Chili is a long stretch to fly in the little Cessna. Maybe we should all just go commercial, relax and enjoy!

Al

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

i gave her a different link to try

her IP may not be able to access the link you gave her

OH MY GOODNESS!!! Did you guys hear me screaming??? That looks like a huge yucca in black. Man. Who has seeds to that?
Edited to say:: I had to go take another look see. Man -O-Man.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2009 6:47 PM

Cool huh! I've ordered seeds and Mekos can auction them off. Cue I'll send you some for the Goth garden when they come. Not sure they're the same in the photo until I see the packet to see if they match the cultivar.

Mekos you have dmail.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

no worries...lol, if its black, I'll grow it.. you know me

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

http://www.anniesannuals.com/special_pgs/pom/0612/images/puya_venusta.jpg

another type of puya

You guys gotta stop before I go broke. I can't resist- Pretty.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

now if that last one dont scream 'goth garden', I dunno what does!

That's wild. Does she have them in stock? When I looked she was out.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

That is truely ugly stuff. You want to go to Chili for that?

If I find a black sunflower Cue, I'll gladly send you some seeds.

Al

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

woot, now that would be a great addition to the garden for sure!

seray.. doesnt look like annie has much in stock at all right now.

Hey Al, while you are out there, (looking for plants anyway- hehehe,) take us some pictures of the flowers you see along the way. Anything unusual. Love orchids if you see some. Cue would love to see anything in black, I'm sure. Have a safe trip. Yell at us when you get back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.