2009 Lily Blooms #11

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

The blooms just never stop!

We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1016184/#new

May I also add that I am compiling a list (that is constantly being updated) of bulbil forming lily species and cultivars here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6857452
in this thread (Who has bulbils?)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1009302/
If anyone has additions or corrections, please post in the thread. Thanks!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks for sharing all the lovely lilies everyone. My Scherazade, Black Beauty and Stargazer are all still going strong. Here is Angelique growing in a pot. It is only about 8" tall, but produced a poly bloom. I was planning on getting rid of the Oreintals that I have growing in pots at the end of the summer, but like most of them too much to do it, so guess I will try to build them a new raised bed.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Muscadet blooming in a pot.

I just planted 10 bulbs of Deep Impact in a pot today. I got them from eBay $9.95 for 10. They all had about 1" growing from the bulb/ I'm planing on growing them in the pot until fall and then putting them in a new bed. Do you think they will have time to bloom before fall? Or would it be better to bring the pot indoors and let them bloom there and then plant in the Spring?

This message was edited Jul 26, 2009 12:48 PM

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Awesome Muscadet, Susan. One of my very favorite Orientals.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

They look really great blooming in the pot, beautiful picture.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

'Orange Bell'

Thumbnail by magnolialover
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

'Empress'

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

'Statement'

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

'Sea Treasure'

Do you think they (Muscadet bulbs) will have time to bloom before fall? Or would it be better to bring the pot indoors and let them bloom there and then plant in the Spring?

Frankly, I don't think they will have enough time. If you just want to enjoy blooms, irregardless of future years, then by all means, (1)bring them inside to bloom. If future years are more important, (2)I would cut the buds off, and give them the normal cold treatment for your zone.

Growing anything inside that likes to be outside with seasonal and daily fluctuating temps and more sun, as in method (1), is going to be stressful for the plant. If you can keep it alive, don't expect any increase. In fact, I'd think a decrease in bulb size would be more probable.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

steve, when will you get bulbs for 2010? when will you plant? I'm looking at the B&D catalog and don't know when to tell them to ship to me. She's concerned that if too into Dec, since they're routed thru Minn., they might arrive mushy to me.

There was a yellow with orange markings at the very last of the previous thread that was absolutely stunning.

Here are the names of the two that had me drooling

Leftwood's White Henryi
Mainiac's Shirley Ann

This message was edited Jul 26, 2009 5:53 PM

If they are routed through MN, you could have them sent early and keep them in the frig (as they would) until it's time for you to plant.

that's what the lady said but I don't have room in the fridge. I have ridiculously tiny veggie/fruit baskets.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I had a neighbors huge dog tromp thru my bed today and broke several plants..I am fuming!!!! He broke of one of my Montezumas that was still blooming right at ground level. I had planned on moving these in the fall. will it hurt to go ahead and dig this one up and put it in a pot for now?

This message was edited Jul 27, 2009 8:42 AM

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Nery,

Not sure - I think it depends on the vendor, but if I get them October or November it'll be OK - I usually plant most things here in November but have a couple of small refrigerators to store bulbs in if I need to. I wonder why bulbs destined for TX would go through Minnesota? I wonder if you could have them shipped by air to avoid freezing which might occur with ground transit...it is extra money I know but well worth it when making a large investment in plants, and B&D is not cheap. I think that extra care/money on the front end might be worth the security of knowing you'll get an unblemished product. Good luck!

Steve

Greenwood, IN(Zone 5b)

Something else to consider is a small refrig. reserved for bulbs - I have two of them :-) I know it is an investment but I have one just like the one in the attached link and it works wonderfully for this purpose and not really all that expensive if you consider the gain you get from it. I know money is tight for some people, but if you have the means, well worth considering and only about $130.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100472655&N=10000003+10401010

Sorry to hear about your flowers, nanny - I hate neighbors like that!

Tracey, love your "Empress" - outstanding!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Steve, do you know what temp is ideal for bulbs? I have a small wine cooler I'm hoping will work for my amaryllis.

Poland, ME

Pussycat

Thumbnail by Mainiac
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Meeeow!! (Sorry i couldn't help myself) Thats a really nice color!

Steve, after I posted my dilemma I started thinking that a little fridge might be a good investment. If I get in late Oct. then the shipping damage is not an issue.

When my dog's girlfriend (an otherwise adorable Jack Russell) comes to visit it invariable means broken plants. I yell at them and sometimes they mind me, but most of the time they're too busy running and carrying on.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

'African Queen'

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

A.Q.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Landini

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Yellow Trumpet

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

'Bobbini' finally opened!

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Noid

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

'Shocking' or 'Touching' not sure which...can't read the darn tag!

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Tag says 'Spark' but it looks like 'Italia'
These came from a co-op and were mis-labeled I guess.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Bonbini must be my most special one this year. Thanks, Ramona!!!

Thumbnail by pirl

wow pirl, that a beaut. are your temps cool now? wondering if that helps center markings be more pronounced. I see Pixie in Me. also has strong markings on her Bonbini.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I can't answer for Pirl in New York although I know they too have had a cool rainy summer. Here in Maine it's been 40, 50's and 60's at night. Have only hit daytime temps in the 80's a few times here. Very cool and rainy summer, nothing is opening at the usual times and it seems like falls is already on my doorstep.
On the upside....everything does have deeper, dark colors.

our night temps are mid 80s right now and we have a "cool" front right now, which means mid 90s for our highs. I was using this salad plate as a plant saucer and left it outside to dry. after a couple of hrs, this is what I had

Thumbnail by vossner
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wow! That's a serious type of heat!

We've had similar cool rainy weather as Pixie said. Nights in the 60's and most days in the 70's. The humdity, from all the miserable rain, has been rough at times.

I do agree 100% with Pixie that the colors of many plants have never been deeper or more beautiful. It's a photographer's dream.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Love those pretties. Keep them coming...

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Here is my BONBINI which just started to bloom and it was new this spring.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is my FFO on Bonbini yesterday. This should be a good test as high temps are forecast 100-103 degrees in the next few days. Night lows 65-70 deg.

Thumbnail by pardalinum
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I should add that some of my orientals are getting fried. Mr. Big is now Mr. Burnt Toast.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Aren't those 'Bonbini' flowers pretty all around the country ;)

Not exactly centered, the breeze kept blowing 'Tiger Woods' away.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

And 'Mambo' is stunning as always. Deep, dark and reliable!

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

'Lombardia'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.