Hackberry Trees, etc, #5

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1004955/#top

Talking about invasives and other interesting trespassers that lurk in our gardens, as well as the hot temps that hang over LouC's head!

Thumbnail by Sharran

Christi,
I am so sorry about all that heat. It's hot here, and I might have to get my Mary Poppins umbrellas out too, but not today. We did get a bit of rain and a lot of storm activity over the weekend, as we did on the 4th, and that helps the plants, but not the humidity. Still, I manage to take my walks in the early hours and the late hours, and pull weeds as I go. I can't win, and I know that, even so, it's what I do.

Here's my raintree, one of two rootings I got a couple of years ago from a friend's yard.

Think Elizabeth Taylor and Raintree County....

Thumbnail by Sharran
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Love it. And Liz Taylor. Too bad today's kids know too much. She could always be so sexy without actually seeing anything. Some things (most things) have always been around but not quite so blatant.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Good to hear from you Christi.
Sure the computer will soon know you're the boss.
Very interested to hear about your weather conditions and peoples reactions, but of course, wish you had it cooler.

Sharon, like to comment, but I don't want to be a know-it-all!

At your instigation, just read about ash trees in Southern Ontario's "natural" forests and towns and about the emerald ash borer. All new on me. Sorry to report situation is bad and the beetles have got to the GTA (the Greater Toronto Area), where we live. Apparently, the spread of the beetle has been remarkably rapid. Wikipedia says they were first seen in North America around 1998. One source I just read said the first report was from Detroit in 2002. Had heard about the Asian long-horned beetle, but as said, this was new on me.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Not sure what a 'raintree' is or 'Raintree County'.

Charlie, you can be a know it all on my articles anytime.

Yes, the emerald ash borer is what I was talking about.

Here's the raintree:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1778/

And Raintree County was a movie of some years ago that was made in KY, and starred Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift, I think....and for the life of me I can't remember the others, but it was a great movie. Sad, but beautiful.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Tennessee Williams story? She made a lot of movies from his books.

Cat On A Hot Tin Roof still is a great story.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Thanks the two of you.
Rounding out my education!
Had better get to bed.
Nite Sharon and Christi,
Charlie

Have a good tomorrow, Charlie...

Yep, LouC, I loved TW, also Elizabeth Taylor.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

A few pictures from the big garden.
A good corner from new front bed (2008).

Thumbnail by SunnyBorders
Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Back bed: cool and a fair bit of rain.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Siberian mint, clustered bellflowers, salvia and yellow loosestrife.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Pretty.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Some more yellow (Coreopsis: Sterntaler).

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Lychnis (x) arkwrightii (Vesuvius), about five years old.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Overcaste. Brings out the color?

Goodness, it's all beautiful.
The overcast shot is unbelievable!

Waaaaa, I want to be there. I want your weather.
It is so hot here it almost looks like fall.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Wish I could send you some, Sharon!

Can't believe how energetic you are.
I've had situations in which I wrote (e.g. journalism for the Provincial Department of the Environment). Nevertheless, I could never reach your level of productivity.

Your work also has a very creative and expansive quality. I used to plod. You make writing look easy!

I have a lot of empty time to fill, Charlie....I have things that I'd like others to know, old ways that should not be forgotten. Once I got started on the Aunt Bett method of telling those things, it became easy to tie my mishaps into the stories. And believe me, I lived every one of them .

I have always written for some purpose or another, but never for the fun of it, and this is pure fun. I could throw the same material out there, but without the personal parts, nobody would bother to remember any of it.

Writing too is my therapy, I think.
When one can entertain and impart info at the same time, well, I am thankful if I am able to do that.

Now when I begin to run out of words, I'll hush, and turn off the computer.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

I don't have to tell you Sharon that a lot of people love your writing, including me. In your case, the writing and the writer are both highly and attractively personable. Lots of us know Aunt Bett and happily, lots of us know you!
Nite my friend,
Charlie.

Well, thank you, Charlie.
What a nice thing to say.

I have to tell you, I enjoy your challenging thoughts and writing style as well.
And I am green with envy over your gardens.
Do you need an assistant? I happily work for seeds.

I do hope you and your lovely Carol have a good tomorrow, and if I don't see you, also a good weekend.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Have to heartily agree with Charlie's last post. Still struggling with this Mac. Wanted to show pictures of my garden (frazzled from heat) and the new deck remake. Don't know how to get them on the pc. First official One to One lesson next Monday. I have a million questions.

Christi

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharon and Christi,
Christi keep up the good work (Sharon of course too!)
But take lots of breaks.
Pictures soon.
Charlie

Y'all have a mahvelous day!!!
Back later.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharon and Christi,

In transit.
Good place to stop.

Charlie

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Overcaste.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Going out (by boat) for lunch.
Still overcaste.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Civilization!

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Rough waters on way back from lunch.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Gull Rock Island.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Clouds rolling in.

So very pretty, Charlie.
Looks like you had some fun.

So how are you? This thread sure was quiet with us both gone. I got back late last night, got your d mail, and just hadn't got around to posting yet.

What is the lake in your photos? Sure is pretty, and looks like your 'civilization' photo is a fun place to be.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Sharon,

Great to hear from you.
Bet you had a good time.

Cottage is on Lake of Bays,
about three and a half hours drive, north of here (Aurora).

Am not one for rough water (hard on the joints),
but that (and other lunches) were just fine!

Charlie

Looks pretty fine to me, and I know all about rough water. We are surrounded by lakes and rivers here, and I have been beat up by all of them at one time or another.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Water reached 76 degrees.
That was the temperature at which Carol's Mom started to swim.
Of course, we had to do the same!

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Tim, keeping dry.

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Did a fair bit of work at cottage,
but when got back to Aurora had been an amount of rain.
(Great Lakes region is quite wet now.)

Certainly not complaining about the rain, but everything is growing like topsy, including the weeds. Think you said the same, Sharon, after one of your trips up North.

Our garden needs weeding, trimming and more staking. Without the latter, things like the New England asters (for fall) will grow irregularly.

Have an art question.
Old log at cottage.
Is there any art in this image, or should I simply see this as moss, or decomposition or nutrient recycling, or the like?

There is beauty in that old log, Charlie, it is simply beautiful. Aged by time, and environment. I see it as a treasure for any garden, just as it is. It is a survivor, too, and if it could tell stories, well, there would be many.

It is art, created by nature.
How's that??

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Art is in the eye of the beholder and I believe it is beautiful. I never understood such as Picaso.

Christi

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

cross-posted, Sharon. Glad you are back but glad you had the opportunity to go.

Christi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.