What's Your View?

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Pastime, Very very nice. :) I can't wait to see your Japanese garden. :)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Me too! All very nice views. :)

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I weeded all day. My conscious is clear. It's hard to see all the plants in there, it's mostly a green garden. There are several types of ferns, the poor Maidenhair was buried, lots of hostas that I don't remember the names of; variegated pachysandra groundcover, two kinds of bamboo, grasses, there's a witch hazel shrub, and a toad lily. Right in the middle is an old outhouse foundation. Weird. I had to cut a lot of the bamboo out. It was invading other plants. The stepping stones were completely covered with pachysandra. In the spring there's white tulips. The garden isn't that big, but it's wider than my camera lens can see so I had to step back to fit it all in. Everything is there, nothing died over the winter. I'm so bad. I curse the day I allowed one Ivy plant in there. I must have pulled out 10' long vines. They objected and tried to trip me.

Thumbnail by pastime
Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

What I love best is all the green lawns... almost all lawns here are let go to dormancy in the summer. Your beautiful lawns look so coool!!

Tomah, WI

I just love to see pix of others gardens. It always gives me ideas. Gorgeous!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Lovely corner of your yard. Worth all the weeding!

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

I took a couple close ups this morning. The dappled sun in there is causing lighting problems with my camera.

The pachysandra and bamboo.

Thumbnail by pastime
Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Painted fern, hostas and Korean Spice Vibernum

Thumbnail by pastime
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Very nice. :) I agree, worth all the weeding.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Here's an updated view from this weekend of the garden next to my driveway.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

One more shot, same garden.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4

Great color!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Love the phlox and liatris. Nice combination of forms.

Susan

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, this forum is wonderful!

Tomah, WI

Beautiful! Soooo much color!

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

goldfinch your gardens are beautiful. The combinations are incredible.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

goldfinch your garden is beautiful. I'd love to take a stroll.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Thank you all so much! I'm not one of those people to plan pretty, compatable color combinations (but kudos to those of you that can!). I just like a riot of bright, outrageous color in my gardens. Something so when I drive in the driveway after work it makes me want to run right out and play!

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

The hydrangeas are just coming into flowering right now. It's strange how the garden looks so different in its different seasons. I very much enjoy each and every season of bloom.

Thumbnail by magnolialover
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

goldfinch, your garden is stunning!

mags, I love the Hydrangeas with your Lilies- such a pretty contrast of forms. Lovely!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Goldfinch, your color combos are wonderful. They are completely different than mine, which is a plus. Everything looks so healthy and lush.

Tracey, I agree, the hydrangea lily combination is lovely.

So many ideas!

Donna

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

The later blooming album lily and the Limelight Hydrangea go just beautifully together. It was an accident but one of my favorite accidents in the garden. Last year the hydrangea had gotten quite a bit larger, so I had to move the album lilies in the fall.

I do always love seeing everyone's gardens. This has been a really nice thread Moby ;)

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Tracey, that is a great combination! I wish I had more hydrangeas. I only have one - Endless Summer - but it usually has pink, lavender and blue flowers on it at the same time. I had to move my lilies because Endless Summer got bigger than I thought too. Guess I haven't taken a pic of it this year, but here is one from last year.

I really enjoy how the gardens change through the seasons too.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

So pretty. It is quite a bloomer. And both colors, your soil must be borderline acidic, which is good for the lilies too. Very nice.

Here it is a deer favorite. The more it blooms, the more they eat. The less it blooms, the less they eat it. So I think I have one lonely pink bloom on my 'Endless Summer'. At least I get to enjoy that one. The good new is they have been pretty good to stay away from the Limelight ones I have and the other one whose name escapes me.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I use just a little aluminum sulfate in the spring to bring out the blue color, but not too much because I'm trying to keep the two colored blooms.

Strange that the deer prefer one hydrangea over another. Do they only eat the flowers?

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

The flowers are their favorite, but over the winter they graze on the woody stems of the other. I also notice the older mine get, the less they mess with them over the winter. I think they prefer the young growth over the older stuff.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

You guys have lovely hydrangeas. Too much sun in my garden for them.

My view this morning when I got home from work wasn't very nice. Lightening hit an old tree behind my house, pulled down all the electrical wires and left the whole block with no electricity until 5PM. The garage in this photo is my neighbor's. It was damaged the most, but afraid once I find out what all is damage after a day of 12 men tramping around in my garden and cutting up the tree, I may find I have a lot of flattened daylilies and lilies.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Oh Susan, that's terrible and I'm sorry to hear it. Glad you and your home are OK and it was only a garage. I saw several trees down around town ~ one just down the street from me.

Damage was so spotty ~ several blocks all clear and the next would have a tree or large limbs down. Woke up to a power outtage but otherwise slept though the whole thing.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 11:38 PM

We had a tree limb fall down here in an early t-storm that landed in one of the gardens. The flowers didn't like it much but they'll be fine next year. Hope you have minimal damage, Susan!!

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Susan, how disappointing. A few years ago our neighbor cut down a tree and part of it landed in my garden, so I know how you feel. Like boojum said, at least your flowers will be back next year.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I guess if my more plants had to get smashed, this is about the best time of the year for it. Main bloom time is done and they still have some time to recover before winter hits. I feel bad for my neighbors because they just moved in 5 days ago and are a very young couple. It's a hard way to start their homeower experience.

Susan

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

But the most important thing is that everyone is ok. :) Your gardens are still lovely despite a few pressed flowers. :)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yes, I'm happy the lightening hit a tree instead of a house. I got some of the smaller branches cut up today and have at least one person lined up that wants fire wood. Then I will call a tree service to haul away the rest. Not sure if this trellis that was under the branch that fell is repairable or not. I still don't have my cable TV service repaired but it sure was great to get electricity back.

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Oh geez ~ please call me if I can help in any way!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks Moby. I'm just going to do a little at a time and not worry too much about it. If you know anyone who wants firewood just send them over with a chain saw.

Susan

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Will do.

Certainly not as traumatic, but a few days ago, I tried to lie in the hammock, finally. And it started to rip-REALLY rip!! I thought of all your encouragement and all I could do was laugh when I fell through. Needless to say we have a new hammock in the mail.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL Good for you! (on getting a new one)

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ah, jeeze, if that happened to me it would make me think if it was God's little way of saying "No rest for the wicked!" :) LOL

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hope you made them replace the ripped one.

At least some of my family are having fun in their new playground.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.