Kyla's Garden Pictures

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay....... I think I can do this, and you all know how long I h ave wanted to share images of my garden, so I am praying this will work this time! I will be going slow cause I do not have good ways to organize this stuff yet, heck, just barely getting started.

Here is my garden in the back, seen from my kitchen window.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

And here is a view of the deck garden

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

hahaha The Water Feature!

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Rock garden with friend:

woops forgot the picture

This message was edited Jul 7, 2009 8:12 PM

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Rock garden with friend, take 2:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Tomato, meet Mountain:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Here is one of my Garden Guardians, named Gus. He's the one in the middle. He was buried face down in a place the neighbors drove over repeatedly. He was frowning when I dug him up but I think he's smiling now.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Darn it, that Gus, always the trickster. Here he is:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Another Garden Guardian, Alfred the Stonefrog, guarding the thyme:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Hummer:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Nother Hummer:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Lupine poppy tansy:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Lauren's grape in the foreground and Mission Bells CA poppies, in front of the Water Feature:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Onions and Zinnias:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, you can hardly see the zinnias, actually, but they did just start to bloom so I am giving them energy by calling attention to them. ;-)

Anyway, last one for now, I think:

Dahlia and Morning Glories:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, awesome garden and the view is amazing! I would love to have that view Kyla.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Gosh, I feel like a real grown-up, posting pictures! lol....

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

thank you Plutodrive, and yes, the view is a killer indeed. Sometimes it is hard to do anything, for the power of that view beaming down on everything.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow, kyla. I am totally amazed at what you have been able to do in what 1 year or less? You have a lovely garden with both flowers and veggies. And you even learned to photograph and post them. I am very impressed. And yes, I would have a hard thing getting anything done if I had that view. No wonder you wanted to live in Weed, CA! Don't quit photographing. You are good at it!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Started in November, actually, and I am amazed myself. This is an advertisement for the sort of lasagna method, by the way, lay cardboard down over them weeds and put all the goodies you can get on top and in spring, voila, you're good to go.

thank you. makin me smile you are. ;-)

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Your garden is looking nice. I'd also like to have the over-the-fence landscaping you do.

Santa Fe, NM

So great to finally get to see your garden! I love your basket containers, the water feature, and the color combinations. I especially love the view! You did a good job with the mountain. Come take away my wicked neighbor and put a mountain there instead, please. You really have managed to do a lot in less than a year.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

The thing about that mountain is, no matter what I do it is beautiful here, so I feel I cannot fail, which is quite empowering.

Well, that is not strictly true because in the back (where the actual in-the-ground garden is) you would not believe how ugly it was last fall. Those junk piles you see are the nicest looking ones; I sorted a bunch of stuff on the other side beyond that photo frame, to move things like plastic and real ugly eyesores out of view.....

The ground was bare rocky full of nothing but goathead burs and foxtail barley, EW!!!!!! It all looks rather lush in comparison right now in part because we have had such a wet June for which I am thankful every day.

This morning I sure wish I had had the camera on my neck when out there watering as there was a small bird sitting on one of those large sunflowers on the top bud (the bud was about three times as big as the bird) -- I think it was a wild canary but not sure. Almost as small as a hummer but didn't have the long beak of course.

wowie I am blessed.

Here is a volunteer I just got identified as a Silene armeria

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Kyla how wonderful to see your garden!!! OMG you've done so much work! It looks awesome!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Dahlia....... my friend who loaned me the camera just left and took it, of course, but Paj was correct, I am addicted now, uh-oh.

I have just a few more I have not posted yet; here's one.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Santa Fe, NM

So pretty.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I adore the california poppies. I keep hoping they will self sow for me but they don't. I shall just have to sow them every fall.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Wonder why they don't?

I love them too, but have too many at this point..... of course they are easy and rewarding when you're just starting so I kinda overdid on them. I like the Mission Bells variety much better than the very pretty but too muchness golden orange ones.....

anyway, let's see if I can post this one of the deck, walking onions and chard. Tried twice last night and it wouldn't go so let's see.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh heck it came in sideways. Tip your head to the right...>>>>>> lol

The walking onions are So Cool! I have some out back also, that Katlian brought me, I had never grown them before. These ones on the deck have a marigold coming up in the center! Not sure how it got there but it is about to bloom now.

The chard has just a bit more time before serious bolting revolt takes over........ ah well. I've enjoyed having greens and salad and that but not gonna fight the heat. You can see behind the chard the spinach nicely bolting away........ I think I'll save seeds from the kale and one radish that is flowering back there too, if I can......

Too bad about that picture tho since now the camera is gone..... that one wasn't framed very carefully, my friend took it just as a demo for me but it does show some of what's going on at that end, and a few fronds of dill fluffing up in the left corner too. ;-)

This message was edited Jul 8, 2009 8:52 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It is a lovely picture. You need to put it in a picture editing program and rotate it 90 degrees counter clockwise. I am not sure what, if any, editing program you have so I can't help all that much. Do you happen to know? What program did you use to download your pictures? That one might very well have a picture rotation function. Most do. What brand of camera is it?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I have nothing, Paj. Just those pictures downloaded from my friend's camera. It had its own program that loaded when plugged in to the computer and I dragged the images to a folder on my desktop.

And I don't know the brand either...... she took it away :-(((

but it was verra verra nice.

Here is another picture, perhaps the final one, I did lose track there.

Erysimum and Blackeyed Susans

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I was wrong, I do have a rotate thingie, let's see if it worked

Nope.

This message was edited Jul 8, 2009 9:22 PM

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Kyla I have been seeding the native eschscholzia californica as I thought it would have the best chance to self sow for me. I just looked up the mission bell ones and if I have to sow every year I might as well go with more colour. I like the thai silk ones too.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The rotate thingie will probably work if you do it right. Experimentation is the name of the game with it. Maybe it made a copy and rotated it. Some programs don't like to change the original. I say play with it and you will soon be rotating with the best of us. Loved seeing the top of your head. Very cute. Too bad you don't still have the camera so you could give us a full head shot.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

California poppies reseed for me occasionally, but I can't count on it. I think they only reseed reliably in California.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Probably why they're called 'californica' ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That might have something to do with it! They are worth replanting each year.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Definitelyamondo paj! I also luved the california bluebells (Phacelia campanularia) this year! I'm going to try direct seeding those in the fall.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't know California bluebells. Will have to look those up.

Santa Fe, NM

With the rotation, it may be something as simple as hitting "save".

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.