Who is your best assistant in your garden?

Trenton, FL(Zone 8b)
There are a total of 460 votes:

My spouse or significant other is my best helper.
(139 votes, 30%)
Red dot

My children love to help me. (what do they like to do?)
(12 votes, 2%)
Red dot

My grandchildren are great assistants! (why?)
(11 votes, 2%)
Red dot

The landscape company is my best helper.
(6 votes, 1%)
Red dot

My best assistants are me, myself and I.
(292 votes, 63%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

Moon, my daughter-in-law jumped out of bed fast once at my mom's house and stepped right on a baby mouse, killing it.
We then stated to call her Killer or Bigfoot...............LOL

Thats one of the reason this guy came into my mom's house.

Thumbnail by kassy_51
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Two Sunday mornings in a row, Mea decided to share a live squirrel with us......before 7AM and hopped right up in bed with us....cat squirrel and VERY upset husband......we chased that squirrel around the house for better part of an hour each time....three kids running around hollering "Don't hurt the squirrel", three cats and two dogs trying to help and me sitting in the middle of the floor laughing while my husband is telling everyone to be quiet and go in the other room....what a trip! One Sunday....it happens....two in a row....what are the odds?

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

ROTFL..............I love it.
Mine are no longer allowed to go outside. I have 3 too. My big guy use to be a hunter, and would love to go outside, but we live in town now, and I want to keep him for a few more years.

Thumbnail by kassy_51
Trenton, FL(Zone 8b)

Mea mustve thought the first episode was great fun, the whole pride on the hunt - she mustve wanted to do it again. That's hilarious!!! My kitty brings in live lizards, and the first rat ever was still alive. Hopefully I'll never see one in bed!

Eugene, OR

This is Fluffy, a feral that decided to adopt us. She's still a little on the wild side, sometimes a lot. She's my constant companion in the garden, has even been known to lick my nose when I'm weeding and I talk to her. She has her own kitty door into the garage now, so she has a safe place to sleep, away from the wild ones out there. We have fox, nutria, raccoons, etc. I put a heat pad out for her when the temps get too low in winter. She brings treasures now and again, leaves them by the front door.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

You know you are part of the pack when they start sharing their kills.....I do TRY to be gracious......Grin

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

Yes, but can't they kill them before they try to share?
My big guy would bring live mice to the door. I told him he couldn't come in with that. That was very nice, but NO!

We had one that even brought a snake home for us ones, and it was alive and very pissed off!

Trenton, FL(Zone 8b)

Fluffy is beautiful! I love how they find places to perch that just fit their little bodies (sometimes they barely just fit)

Kassy, are your kitties buds or was that picture of all three just a rare occasion?

Anchorage, AK

All the cat pictures are cute! Sally your kitty sounds awfully spoiled, I'll bet she's glad she found you :)

Kassy LOL! The snake reminds me of a cat we had growing up. He used to come running down the lawn with a gardener snake tail in his mouth and the snake bouncing along between his legs. Talk about pissed off snake!

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

All 3 of mine are buds, and all rescue cats in a way. The big guy was born to a wild farm cat. I had to take him when he was young or I never would have gotten him. I think he was about 4 weeks old if that. He was raised on what is called Tigers Milk and I can tell. That's why he got the name Simba. He use to sit and watch wrestling with my son. And he played fetch with beanie babies when he was little.

The dark little girl was dropped off at a friends house. She was attacked by one of his male cats, and he heard it and ran out to find out what was doing on. He rescued her from the male cat and he already had 5 kittens of his own to find homes for, so I took her. I couldn't resist after he sent me photo's of her in e-mails. I found homes for 2 of his kittens for him too.

And then there is Buddy, the orange guy. His is a interesting story. He showed up at and assisted care home where I worked. He was missing an eye, the tip of his ear, and he couldn't walk on one of his back legs. (I don't know if it was just out of joint or what.). I knew 2 of the residents were trying to feed him,so i started taking him out some of the left overs in a dish. At first he would hiss and run away. It didn't take long though before he started trusting me and coming to me when I would step outside and say "Where is my buddy?". He even started laying down and rolling around and wanted me to pet him.
When I knew I was going to be leaving that job, I knew I had to catch Buddy some how to bring him home. Buddy had never let me pick him up and to this day he is still afraid of being picked up (I'm thinking he was abused.). I took a cat carrier in to work one rainy night and a toy to try to lure him into it. The first time I went outside I put the carrier out there and opened it and called him. He came running. He checked out the carrier a few times. Put his head in it, walked around it checking it out and put his head in it again, and walked into it and layed down..........LOL I quick closed the door on it and called my daughter-in-law to come and get him.
I haven't been able to get him into one that easy since.
At times they all lay together like in that picture I posted above and at times they are all in different places, and at times it's 2 of them laying together.

Thumbnail by kassy_51
Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, and Simba use to help in the garden if you call it help. He would go to one side of it and watch me and then come running though the garden to attack me.
Simba as a baby.

Thumbnail by kassy_51
Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

Simba giving Buddy a bath.

Thumbnail by kassy_51
Anchorage, AK

More cute kitty photos ;) Mine is sacked out on his bed by the window. Both my critters are rescued. Only way to go I think.

Kassy I had a neighbors cat that would use my leg as a stopping post after he came charging down the lawn at me. Seems like I was always wearing shorts when that happened too! Little bugger. My parents lived on a lake for a few years and I would fish off the dock. That cat was always leaning out in front of me when I brought one in. Drove me crazy. One day I heard some scrambling and turned around just in time to see him fall of the dock LOL. It was shallow water and he was fine but you can't imagine how many times the thought had occurred to me to teach him how to swim with a gentle nudge. I just sat there and laughed. I'm not sure my neighbors believed I didn't do it.

Trenton, FL(Zone 8b)

I love baby Simba! He's missing the spot on his nose, mustve stuck it in something that wont rub off, lol.

My kitty was befriended by the previous tenants when they moved in - she was about 6mos by the vet's estimate. They coaxed her with food and squirt-can style whip cream. She wouldn't go with them when they moved and they were heart-broken. They set out a live trap and food for weeks, but only managed to catch a possum and attract toms and coons, so by the time I moved in she was terrorized by the monsters and starving. I was unpacking one day when I heard her tiny mew outside. All I had in the house was a can of sardines. Yummy, she said.

I call her Creamy because we also made friends over whipped cream, she still gets a spot of half-and-half at bedtime. I remember all our firsts, like the first time she rubbed against my leg while I was getting her dinner and the first time she let me rub her tummy. Never planned on having a kitty (I'm allergic) but we are together for good (if I can talk her into leaving her garden home when the time comes, I promise her we'll have a garden when we move)

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

Awwww, I hope Creamy stays with you forever acfrancis ^_^

Ican, Simba use to chase me around mom's house and try to catch me. He would jump up at my legs.................And he has claws!! And I had shorts on!! OUCH!!
Around and around we would go, down the hall, thought the living room, through the dining room down the hall again. He got smart and turned around and started going the other way. Yikes!

Thumbnail by kassy_51
Anchorage, AK

That's sweet acfrancis! I haven't heard of a cat that liked whipped cream. Lucky you moved in. :)

Kassy, cute picture of Simba. Yes, cat claws and shorts DO NOT go together LOL! "What are all those little red lines on your legs?"

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

ican, you should see the scars on my arms. I was not only his mother, but his playmate............LOL
The scares are a lot lighter now, but they are still there. Like I said, he was named Simba for a reason!
And I fed him with a bottle at first. I used the same hand all the time....OUCH, those little nails are like needles. But you know what. At times he still puts his mouth by that area on that hand that held the bottle. :)

Thumbnail by kassy_51

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.