Garden Pics: 'How Does Your Garden Grow?' ...#8

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

Katye... I bet that your Bell Etoile is just beautiful right now!

Bea... I second Pony's thoughts! lol

Eugene, OR

WOW!!! Gorgeous pictures tonight, from everyone and everywhere.

Julie....beautiful, looks like Phoenix has found a mentor. And it's my step daughter who is having trouble coping, but she is doing better. We've found some things to laugh about. My sis is on DG too, didn't want to confuse things.

Bea.....stunning!! the DF's are fantastic!!

Dale....worked a number of years in FL, you have my sympathy for the humidity! But it does help grow such beautiful flowers.

Had a different visitor today, luckily it was only nibbling grass.....rc, don't look. LOL

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

Took this picture of our Bakari, it was only 3 ft when we planted it. Such a pretty baby.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR
Eugene, OR

The back area has filled in. LOL Think I need to thin out some come fall. Heuchra have finally taken hold, this is the best they've been. Now I know I can put other things back there. It doesn't get a whole lot of water and I was wondering what I could get away with. Most of it has been bits and pieces from neighbors.

rc.....my orange echinacea is a Tiki Torch. Don't expect blooms this year, it was only a plug.

Thumbnail by Sally_OR

I tried not to look! Really I did! I'm just going to tell myself that you chased it away right after the picture. Yeah, that's it! That Bakari is a beautiful... 'baby'.

That back area of yours is looking great Sally! I'm sure that you'll love Tiki Torch, even if you have to wait until next year. For that price, it's definitely worth the wait!

Eugene, OR

Yeah, I can wait on a freebie to bloom. It took me almost a year to find the bakari and it was one I wanted so bad that I talked to it (encouraging words) everytime I watered it. hahaha

Hey.... if it works!!! I've met others who swear by talking to their plants. Really!

This is a rose that the folks who own the house brought and want planted somewhere. It's pretty, but I sure hope that it's one of the disease resistant ones or that they plan on taking care of it.

Thumbnail by redchic01

Check out this viola that I found the other day. Is it not just the most interesting violet or what?? It's called Viola 'heartthrob'

Thumbnail by redchic01

this one the owners brought as well. I definitely agree with this decision!

This message was edited Jun 15, 2009 10:35 PM

Thumbnail by redchic01

another pic of that rose, backlit

Thumbnail by redchic01

camas and grass

Thumbnail by redchic01

just camas

Thumbnail by redchic01

another of the camas and grass, and the last pic for now.

Thumbnail by redchic01
Eugene, OR

The rose is lovely, is it fagrant? The viola is like none I've seen before, very interesting, kind of looks like a heart. What is the next one? Like the color of the camas. I saw you have an early day tomorrow.

By the way, my neighbor says thank you for the ID.

Kathy...I compared the pictures in google plant files and they're exactly alike. DG plant files says bloom time is late spring - early summer. So that fits, maybe others bloom later?

Yep, the rose does smell wonderful. I can't think of the name of it right now. The one after the viola is an Eryngium ( I think that the common name is Sea Holly, maybe??) . I think that they're some of the neatest plants since it can defend itself without making life miserable for the person planting it!

Tell your neighbor "anytime!"

Yeah, our native philadelphus, or at least the natives that are in my yard, bloom later. It seems to me as if the earliest that i've seen them bloom is mid July.

So, I just briefly read something on our native, Philadelphus Lewisii, and it said that it's highly variable and that bloomtime ranges (likely depending on the weather) between now and mid/late July.

Eugene, OR

So they bloom when they wanna!!! LOL

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Glad that's what it is Sally It's lovely

Eugene, OR

It has such a gorgeous flower and smells so sweet. She wants to get another one, so needed to know what it was.

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I am so jealous of your Bakari, Sally. We leave Thursday to help our daughter move into a condo in Bloomington, IN, and if I can find a tree small enough to sit flat in the back of the SUV, I'm going to bring it home and try it. Maybe if I pour the water on it and make sure it just gets morning sun it will live.

Here's a bloom on Melody Parfumee that I planted bare root the first week of May! Wasn't expecting anything until fall. Not as dark as all the pictures, but that's not uncommon here in the heat of the summer.

Thumbnail by lrwells50

My dwarf monarda, Grand Marshall. Sure hope it stays compact like this.

Thumbnail by lrwells50

Pat Austin just opened today. I was thinking something was wrong with my camera, but they really are this orange when new.

Thumbnail by lrwells50
(Julie)South Prairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Sally, Your Bakari is wonderful! Isn't it funny how they are so cute and little when you plant them, and then they kind of sneak up on you and the next time you look at them you realize that they are a glorious big shrub? Your back area is looking very nice...I am jealous of your coral bells...can't seem to get mine to bloom well. I am right with RC in hoping that you stopped just long enough to get a pic of your visitor before you shooshed him away!

RC, I love the Sea Holly?. I had one that did well for me for a couple of years and then just disapeared. I miss it's uniqueness in the garden. Also really like the camas pics, especially the close up with the water drops.

Irwells, Gorgeous rose pictures! Your Melody Parfumee is wonderful, and although I am not really an Austin fan, that pic of Pat Austin would make me want it!

My Climbing Westerland is just starting. I am thrilled as it is FINALLY growing up into the cedar tree that I planted it beneath. It has been a slow starter for me but that could be partially due to location. I expect it will reach 15 feet this year.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

My daylilies are just starting, and Swirling Spider is one of my favorites. It is not the fanciest, but look at all the buds! It's blooms are 8" wide, and it will most likely bloom again for me this fall. It is one of those that will stop you in your tracks to say WOW when you are walking through the garden!

Thumbnail by Rarejem

I posted one picture of this earlier, but I just love the color combo so couldn't resist posting again. Her Kingdom

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Some other iris varieties popped out for me today. Unfortunately, all of my iris that aren't the Bearded varieties are NOID's.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

And like Bea, I adore my sweet william. So many colors and patterns......

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

This cranberry colored SW was one I saw at the Oregon Gardens on the 4th. It was like velvet!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Eugene, OR

Oh WOW! Beautiful flowers, wonderful pictures!! Julie that lily is stunning!!

Wow, everybody took the night off!

Bea, I love that sweet william! Their colors are just so incredible! Wish they didn't get so weedy when they were done blooming, I would have them everywhere!

This is my favorite time of the season in the garden (although I think that I say that about every two weeks starting in March!) when the color starts bursting out. I had lots to do in the yard last night, but found myself spending a lot of time wandering and enjoying.

Color Magic is in full bloom right now.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

And Betty Boop had it's first bloom!

Thumbnail by Rarejem

And Gypsy Dancer is in full bloom as well.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Along with a little hitchhiker to get rid of the aphids.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

I just wish I could capture this with my camera the way you see it with your eyes. This was originally my holding garden when we first bought our property. Mom and I dug so many things from our respective yards, and kind of haphazardly transplanted them here because we knew that the area wouldn't be damaged by machinery when we brought our house up. It had a rough couple of years with the deer and lack of tending, but most of our stuff survived, and although Mom took quite a bit of her plants back, there were some that were looking so happy she just left them with me. The effect was not what I had planned, but was so stunning that I decided to work with it rather than trying to re-do it. I have never had one regret (with the excepting of the width....or lack of.... of my paths through it).

Thumbnail by Rarejem

Another view.... I am just in love with this area, so you will most likely see me post quite a few pics of it now that the color has started.

Thumbnail by Rarejem

And I'll end this morning's pics with another iris.....beautiful even with a slug hole!

Thumbnail by Rarejem
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Julie, your garden looks terrific. That Gypsy danser rose is lovely!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Summer is coming . The Shasta Daisy are starting up. Love them but they are so stinky!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Delphinum Black Beauty. It is my fav!

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.