Siberian and species 2

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Caitlinsgarden, I tolerate bearded but I adore beardless. This is consistent since 1986 when I started my first garden. Marty and Jan are the best!! I trust them implicitly on their choices.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Sharon, you can move the sibs at anytime, as long as you can keep them mosit, and temps are not going to be over 90 for the next few weeks. the best time is early spring, or early fall, but I move them all season. At this time of year I would keep the divisions pretty large, and cut the leaves back to about 8 inches.

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for your suggestions on the shorter blue siberians.
Yes definitely some great treasures are going to end up in the compost pile. I hate to think about it, and am very glad that I don't have to commit iris genocide. Really do wish I could rescue a few too, Polly. Would even pay good money to do so. Strange, this world of hybridizers, isn't it?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Thanks Polly: I just got in on the last day of Ensata's special anniversary sale: 10 Sibs for 25.00. Even though many were sold out, I was still able to find 10 different beauties! As they are shipping them now, I guess they can be moved about now.

South Hamilton, MA

P-me did you get to the iris show or just JPW garden? That alone is worth the trip to say nothing of their flowering hill.

Lucy, it was actually Friday that I went out there, as that was the only time that a friend who wanted to come could do it. We got lost several times (don't use mapquest!), stopped at nurseries, went to visit her 90 year old father in Groton in addition to spending hours wandering around JPW.... an all day thing, so I was exhausted on Saturday and just couldn't get myself in the car again to do the trip to the iris show, though I really had wanted to get there. I do appreciate your directions and info, and wish I could have met you all and seen the show, but maybe next time.

South Hamilton, MA

JPW is a show in itself--even when siberians are not in bloom, the garden is fantastic. Jan claims that the hill wasn't planned, but they have an artistic eye. Roads wander, this is MA after all, but now you know how to find it. Clear garden space, ha ha as next year is the ISM plant sale yr. We alternate show & plant yrs as we are all getting on.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Boo, I wish I lived closer to you. I would love to visit your gardens! Here is a nice blue SIB and a prolific bloomer. He kept going for almost a month.

Thumbnail by venu209

My first pseudata to open. Okagami

Thumbnail by venu209
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I just purchased Okagami this year. I can't wait to see it bloom. Love those Shimizu pseudatas, Louise.

Polly, are you offering any for sale ? Shiryukyo should open in a day or two. They are the only pseudatas I have, but I certainly want more!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Louise,

I'm sold out for this year. I should have some to list next year, depending on how they multiply. I have all his intro's so far, now, but four of them I only bought this year. I think there's nine altogether. They have been very popular. I can't propagate them fast enough.

Darn........I cleaned that up for DG ;)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

LOL

Louise,
Wish you could come! Your Okagami is amazing!!

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Louise, Is your blue sib. Steve? You said he.

Sorry Mittsy lol. Yes, he is Steve.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

I just noticed this thread!

I have to agree with Rita, that first pic is great!!!

Here's one I like to call:

"Lost at Cement"

Hardy little buggers, eh?

Not sure which ID. Mom planted them in the front garden over 45 years ago. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB
Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

These have volunteered to stand in front of the paeonias.

Thumbnail by WNYwillieB
Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

WNYwillieB,
Your volunteer could not have picked a better place to pop-up!

Lucy, I'll definitely try to make the iris show next year, though I don't know if I'll room for anything by then unless someone hybridizes some mini-mini dwarfs.
And I still don't know how to get to JPW - with all the wrong turns and back and forths and leaving an entirely different way, I have no idea where I was after leaving Route 2 somewhere. Someone suggested today that I get a GPS mapping gizmo, whatever they're called. I think maybe I'd better.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I had a sneak preview of Boojum's iris on Monday. What a treat. I think my timing was perfect. I left with a huge chunk of Iris pseudacorus x 'Berlin Tiger', which I have always wanted, as well as the always admired Hybrid Foetida Rosa 'Harison's Yellow', but only after we weeded a bit together, though she didn't have many. It is obvious that she has been hard at it this spring. It was a perfect afternoon in a beautiful place with my great pal. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful garden, Patti.

I truly hope someday to get to Boojums. She is such a wonderful lady, and obviously a great gardener

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Pollyk, You have that so right about Boojum and her garden. But it was also fun to hear her talk constantly about you, as we wandered about looking at all the iris and one especially wonderful dark stemmed iris which I forgot to photograph that came from you. I will have to get the name of it. It hadn't opened yet, but it was spectacular just in bud. You two are matching rhizomes! Patti

edited to remove daylily and replaced with iris.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2009 5:02 PM

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

What's in the top left of the collage? It's gorgeous!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

That is Sib 'White Amber' from Boojum's garden. I planted two that I bought from Pollyk's SIBERIAN IRIS GARDEN this spring as I had always loved seeing it at Boojum's. I will have lots of them next summer. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

My first Siberian to bloom this year!

Banish Misfortune

Thumbnail by Mshadow
South Hamilton, MA

What color were the poppies to the rear of the siberians?

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks Patti. I'll have to add that to my wish list.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll be interested to hear what the dark stemmed daylily is Patti. I have a dark stemmed beardless iris, Dark Aura, but I'm at a loss what the daylily is.

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

IrisMA, not sure. This will be first year blooming, spread from my other ones, but hopefully pink.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Polly, I am an idiot, I meant to write dark stemmed iris. Got me. It is a lovely form. Patti

Actually, Lime Sprite is a dark stemmed daylily from Polly and I think the iris was versicolor John Wood although I don't see a thing online about dark stems.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Boojum it was a plant over near and in front of the Harison's yellow rose behind that giant yellow Baptisia. By then I was blinded by everything that I was trying to take, in so maybe it was a black stemmed hollyhock in my mind!! It had very dark buds on dark stems, I think. Help. Patti

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Another gotcha - that is a peony not a poppy behind "Banish Misfortune"! I just noticed a description for the Iris "Equalizer" that says it has 6" of purple at the bottom of the stem. I think they call this coloration PBF for purple based foliage. LaurieFrazer has a list of these on her website. Are they in a file on Dave's Garden also?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Are you sure it wasn't Dark Aura, Booj? John Wood has reddish stems, but not dark, I don't think. I'll have to go look tomorrow. Dark Aura has almost black buds, and quite black stems. Here's a pic of dark Aura stems and bud.

I can imagine it would be quite overwhelming taking everything in at Boojums, Patti.

Thumbnail by pollyk

That looks right, Polly. I gasped when I saw it. I don't remember getting Dark Aura unless you sent it to me and I didn't write it down.
Patti, Lime Sprite was near the purple clematis.
CG, I think they were talking about the unopened poppy buds (on the right).

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I do have it written down that i sent it to you.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I think I was remembering 'Dark Aura', not a daylily. It was not on the same side as the big clematis rather across from it. Patti

I did not have the patience to wait for this beauty to open. The other pseudata.

Thumbnail by venu209

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.