Let's See Your ARBORS and TRELLISES! Part 3

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Dana, hope you don't mind, I brightened your last shot a bit so I could see the details. You have a great cottage garden going there.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
(dana)Owensboro, KY(Zone 6a)

lol i dont mind.. i like the packed look . i added even more stuff , this yr, some summer bulbs the new coneflowers milkshake and the other white puffy one.. i added an arch going over the path right where the window on the garage is. still working on the path, i was going to do gravel but in the spirit of my plants everywhere theme i decided to do a ground cover path with stepping stones. thats just behind the garage. dh built me a pond that need finishing touches. i just cant wait till spring .

(Zone 5b)

I agree, a fancy arbor can't hurt, right? ;) gotta get me one of those.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

ditto what Sue said about lovely cottage garden. I'm gonna whack my New Dawn nex spring and see if it becomes the fence eater I was hoping for

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome Cedarcottage, Beautiful arbor and roses. My White Dawn is second year in the ground and still creeping wonder what it will look like next year? My America rose, planted at the same time and on the same fence, has been going gang busters and still has blooms.
Lynnie, What a thoughtful and lovely Mother's Day gift. Your roses look great.
Iris, Beautiful garden.

thanks nery, i wish my camera wasnt broken(about to be fixed if i ever remember to send it out) so i could show you what it looks like now. it will be a fence eater. i saw one at the western ky botanical gardens and it has canes as big around as my wrist. it was enormous. i got really nervous because i wont be able to get into my back garden if it even gets half that big, there was this other massive rose about 8ft tall and 4-6 wide i was like wow whats that... it was heritage which i have in front of my house at 2 ft tall . whoops lol i guess i need to trust the listed sizes huh

(Zone 5b)

I need a fence eater! *grin* which one is it, New Dawn?

hollyanne thats so crazy that your america is growing and nd isnt. my america hasnt grown an inch in 2 yrs, blooms great but wont grow. i treat it the same as all the others. maybe ill have to give it some extra alfalfa tea.

lynn new dawn is a fence eater and it has claws like a lion. cl cecil brunner is also a fence/house eater . it has smaller blooms and less if any thorns. neither of mine have thorns yet .

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Iris, They are the only roses I have in the yard. In the past I haven't done well with roses then a couple of years ago I thought I might give them another try. Inspired by a DG thread on growing Roses and Clematis together. There are 2 America and 3 White Dawn (bought from a DG Co-op) planted on the split rail fence in the front yard. Both of the America are out growing the White Dawn.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
(Zone 5b)

Thank you Iris28, I'll have to remember that. I need some structures for the roses to eat lol
HollyAnn what a beautiful yard! What's that tall skinny conifer on the left?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

There is also a purple clematis growing in with the America. Not completely sure which one The President possibly. I had put a couple of very small clematis out there but only one is growing and last year it only had one or two blooms. I will be planting more clematis next year.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

me too

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Zone 5b)

I made a mess of clematis around my mailbox. I was having trouble getting anything to grow there, so I planted 3 of them and now I have no idea what to do with them. One has taken over, one put a single flower out each year, and I'm not sure what happened to third. It probably ran away.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oops.

This message was edited Dec 3, 2009 8:42 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful blue

(Zone 5b)

That is pretty. HollyAnn I read that clematis take 3 years to get going. I'm a total newbie so take anything i say with a grain of salt lol

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a pic of the whole fence. Hard to really see but the White Dawn are planted between the America. Give them a couple of years and hopefully the fence will be full. You can see my entrance Arbor with the trumpet vine in this pic.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW thats beauty

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Lynnie, I would say that is about right. In the first pic you can see my Lamppost bed it has 4 different Clem growing in it. The largest and oldest on the post The President and then the newer ones on the smaller trellises. Multi-Blue, Ramona were planted in the fall of 2007 and Snow Queen was planted in Spring 2008. In this picture you can see that they are growing well and have a few blooms. Next year they should really look good.
I have a before and after thread from last year with more pictures and shows the trellises that Ric built. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/839411/

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Lynnie and Ge, Ric and I have put a lot of work into the front yard in the last few years since we retired. I had tons of ideas and the discussions here on DG expanded some of my original ideas. It is really nice to have the time to garden to my hearts content. We have several large projects planed for the back yard and once they get started I will be able to expand the beds out back.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Boy, am I slow getting "here"! Not sure how I missed these wonderful threads but Holly sent me over here to post a link for an idea I saw on The Victory Garden. I've just finished going through all three threads - wonderful photos!! I've got some pics of my own to share but thought maybe it's time to start a new one?

Zuzu, what do you think, time for #4? I'll wait to see if you start a new one and then post the link, some of my photos and a few ideas I've got up my sleeve :)

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Go ahead and start a part 4, rcn, since Zuzu is elsewhere now.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks pirl :) I've got Part 4 ready to continue the thread - join us here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1074883/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.