Let's See Your ARBORS and TRELLISES! Part 3

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Apparently, everyone wants to see your arbors and trellises, so here's part 3.

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/951160/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, I didn't get mine built yet, the big one for the wisteria. Oh I was so close got a materials list made and measurements and then it all got pushed back. Hope to still get it in this summer but since it didn't get built for blooming season, there are other projects to be finished first.
ge1836, love your tiles, did you say your SIL makes them?
Kastrol, Beautiful gardens, especially love the arbor walkway with the roses.
Beadmom, That is a very nice arbor DH is handy, got to love those handy hubbies. I don't have any perennial type plants in containers. I always worry how the containers would do in freeze/thaw we get in our area and if the roots would freeze differently than plants that are buried in the ground. I only have annual plants and vines in containers. There are a lot of annual climbers. But you might check over in the Container Forum for more info on growing clematis or other perennial climbers in pots. I might just follow you over there and see what kind of responses you get.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Holly
Correction,tiles were made by the artist who made the sculpture.
SIL will weld frames with legs so I can push the legs into the ground and stand the tiles upright.
I dont want them to lay on the ground and get mud spattered when it rains

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Tiles in place in the garden.
Bird motif

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Fern with fern Ghost

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Very nice, Jo Ann. The first stone reminds me of "flirty" eyelashes.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I will not be installing any trellises where I planned to put the Clems from the co-op. Albina Plenas are not doing well.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Ginger, I have only a 6th floor balcony garden, and I grow 4 clematises. They do beautifully in containers. Three of mine are in almost total shade, but it doesn't seem to bother them and they bloom just fine. Mulch them in the winter with a 2 inch layer of something good in your area. I use pine bark mulch. This is just a plain jackmanii in its second year.

Thumbnail by revclaus
Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

That's good news.

I have so much mulch delivered in the fall for wintering I could cover the whole neighborhood. Could have used it yesterday....6" hail. grrrrrr

Ginger

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I'm finally almost done with my arbor/bed, Got a little more to go, But, It's getting there ..... The beginning photo's are back in part 1 - I think .......... View from the 'right-side' bottom

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

View from the 'left-side' bottom

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I posted the wrong photo for the first "right-side' view ... Heres the right photo ..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It looks like a great plan and lots of creative vision

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

ge1836, Thanks! It was a slope that I didn't know what to do with so I thought I'd make an arbor step bed, I have a clematis and climbing hydrangea on one side of the arbor and clematis on the other.

Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

Iris, it is looking wonderful! I am very very impressed, I wish that I was that creative.
Lorie

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

How clever.I want to see pix when the climbing hydrang. is going strong.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Beautiful, Iris. Love the contrasting mulch - little touches like that can make a big difference. Is the hat a garden piece or one that you could spare? I would love to have a ceramic one. :-)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Iris, That looks wonderful just love it and am looking forward to more pics later.
Although we did not get the trellis for the wisteria up we did go today and pick up bricks. We will go back in about 2 weeks to get another load but this load will pave a 10 X 12 + area. The bricks are a replacement for the stone area under the arbor.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks everyone!
ge1836, Climbing hydrangea's are slow staters and I only have a small one there so it will be a while before it takes off, But, The climbing clematis ( I forgot the name of it, It has blue bell shaped flowers on it, But, It's doing quite well and growing strong!) I have 3 clematis varietys on the other side and one is a sweet autumn that I just got so I'm hoping they all take off as time goes on.

KaperC, You are so right, Little touches do make a big difference and thats what will bring this bed out even more later on ( I'm not done with it yet) The hat is a straw garden hat that I picked up to hang there because I thought it would give the bed a little extra character, I wanted white so it wouldn't fade out in the sun.

HollyAnnS, A 10 x12 + brick area .... To Die For!! I just love brick/ stone pavers under an arbor! Please post pics when you can!

I went to a place called Wayside gardens outlit, They had some really nice treliisés for good prices, One was 7 ft. tall and I believe it was $22 (I love the 'tall' ones!) They also had an arbor with front gate for $89. I got some plate tags there for $2.95 for ten ... there are the large ones with the copper tags they were on sale, They normally sell for 6.95 for a bag of ten. They had a lot of nice gardening items for good prices so if anyone lives near a Wayside gardens outlit and has never been, It would be worth you drive to see what they have.

This is a photo that I took quickly today of the right side of the arbor-bed ...It is mostly all raised beds of daylilys, I got 2 more top beds to go on the raised beds and then it will be finished for that side .... This is all by my basement door going out to the backyard, So in the mornings, I get to see all the blooms, Watch all the bird activity at the feeders, watch the hummingbirds come in to drink and just relax in the shade under the gazebo top... The trellis that looks bare had climbing roses on it but they got to big so I had just removed them and will be planting something else probably this weekend.

This photo

Thumbnail by IRIS
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its going to be beautiful.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Love the long view, One of the things I like most is that it invites you to go up the hill and into the yard. Standing at the bottom of the steps kinda of draws you to the top and makes you want to stop at every step and view the garden as you go. It does so much more than just provide the practical means to get to the top. That is what I see just looking at your pics.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

ge1836, Thankyou!

HollyAnnS, Thanks so much on your insight!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here is my GF 's poppies.She organiclly farms and is a jeweler

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

the rest

Thumbnail by ge1836
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

ge1836, What a nice collage, And wow! Look at all them poppies!!!!! What a great garden in the collage!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes I knew I was going to share with DG so I took the vedg garden too.
Her peas are srtung and supported so neatly and the garlic and other vedgs are well tilled.
I love her geese watchdogs.
She has huge compost piles she turns with a front loader

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Quite the gardener! Geese make Great watchdogs! Wish I had a front loader.. I do my compost with a rotertiller ..Compost ~Black Gold!!! I bet she has a lot!! So lucky!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its a sweet little farm.
She is a master jeweler and keeps the whole gardenthing going too.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

She's very lucky and I'm sure Very Happy!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The Craft life is a good life.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

my garden this PM
Balloon flower Sentimental Blue
Fringed Heritage poppy
Clementine Blue columbine
Rozann and campanulas
Anthemis

Thumbnail by ge1836
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

The craft ánd gardening' life is good for the sole!
Really like the collages, If you don't mind ( And I sure hope you dont) May I make a suggestion to you of taking your photos early morning/early evening or take a cardboard ..ape it to a stake, and shadow the plant that you are taking a picture of, This will help keep it from showing the harshness of the strong sunlight ... Just a suggesion, It something that I always try to do and it helps. I think maybe this way, all the photos in your collages will look good and not have any harsh lighting.

Thanks to all the help on growing delphinium from Jasper Dale we now have this trellis adored with 'Royal Aspirations'. There are currently 14 spikes. Thanks, JD.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

IRIS! I usually do take early AM Pix.
The glare on the viewer is too much. I try to compose when I shoot.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

JoAnn, I'm still laughing at the thought that you could carry a piece of cardboard big enough to shade that huge field of poppies.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

As you probably had noticed I DO have BIG arms. But thats beyond all.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

ge1836, My opologies, I am suprised that you get harsh lighting for taking photos early in the AM. I was enjoying your collages and the story of the farm and jewelry making and such above and was looking forward to more photos and storys and thought the collages (sp) were really nice and seen some with harshness and was just trying to help in some small way so that all the photos would look great for you... Sorry, My mistake.
What I wrote above was ...take a cardboard ..tape it to a stake, and shadow " the plant " that you are taking a picture of, "Plain Common sense" would tell anyone you can't do a field of poppies with a piece of cardboard, Thats why I had written "plant " in my sentence. A lot of people use cardboard or sun reflectors for the purpose of trying to save there photos from the harshness of the sun. As I said earlier, I was just trying to be helpfull, But, It seems it didn't work that way.

Morning sun can be extremely harsh here in the northeast and I've never lived anywhere but here so I can't compare it to other areas. I use a 5.6 aperture to try and eliminate the glare and the way the sun seems to eliminate detail of flowers, like fine veins. Wish it would eliminate some of my veins...and wrinkles!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

pirl, I wanted to mention earlier, Those 'Royal Aspirations' above look gorgeous!
I originally come from the Northeast, Born and raised in Massachusettes, Just moved to the Southern States about 3 years ago.
It is hard to eliminate glare and harshness, Usually, Once it's a certain time of morning, I won't even bother taking any photos. ............. " Wish it would eliminate some of my veins...and wrinkles!" LOL! Me Too!

This message was edited Jun 25, 2009 12:18 PM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Appologies accepted and think no more of it.
I am normaly taking pictures just as the sun comes up.
GF with poppies wouldnt appreciate me in her yard with the geese honking that early.
I did realize they were over exposed,just have to punt sometimes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.