Alpines in June

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Thank you, rannveig and Leftwood! I don't think the plants are any "cooler" than yours, just maybe different from what you have... same reason your plants are cool to me, LOL!

I think your ramonda looks great, June! Mine is really horribly burnt, despite our unusual snow cover... no blooms this year, I think.

I still have a pulsatilla in bloom (well, there's the odd P. vulgaris too). I bought this as P. aurea but I've since been informed it's P. albana var. lutea:

Thumbnail by altagardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Lychnis ajanencis, from seed last year:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm finally getting a hint of what Junellia wilzeckia might look like, if it ever decides to perform a little:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I hardly even think of these as alpines, since they grow so easily and are so commonly grown here.... Sempervivum 'Excalibur' - very large flowers:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I think I like Carduncellus pinnatus best before it blooms...

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Funky plants Alta! And I agree with Rann that your Ramonda looks fine June!

I'm amazed that you get so much less precip than I do Rann...no wonder you do well with plants that I thought would rot in your area.

My Incarvillea mairie Grandiflora is also in bloom

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Campanula pilosa

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Lewisia Little Plum

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Saxifraga paniculata 'Lutea'

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and Saxifraga Southside Seedling

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
(Zone 5a)

I'm pretty amazed by it too Todd ..... we've been led to believe that Iceland is pretty wet! lol

Love the Campanula pilosa ... is it hardy? And I like the Southside Seedling too, very pretty.

Alta - more cool platns! :-)

Rann

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Rann, that campanula pilosa is native to Alaska so I would think it was quite hardy!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Wow, now that's an Incarvillea mairei v. grandiflora! (I was thinking last year I should move my incarvilleas into the rock garden, where they seem to do better... still haven't done it.)

Silene nigrescens:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Close-up:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

The two-tone effect of Campanula pillosa is gorgeous. All your plants are so mature and well grown, Todd - it's wonderful to see them!

Acckk, five years from seed to bloom for escobaria?!? Gee, if I hadn't killed the first batch from the seed you sent me, Rick, it would only be 3 years more... dang!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I see you have tufa galore Alta...I'm so envious! Your Silene is quite cute. It's another I was not familiar with...you certainly grow some unique plants.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Happy Birthday for yesterday Todd...! Great plants everyone. Enjoying seeing these very much.

(Zone 5a)

A Happy Beleated Birthday Todd! Hope you had a great day :-) Sorry I missed it!

Thanks for the info Todd - I need to keep an eye out for that C. pilosa ..... very pretty!

Alta - very cool looking Silene!

Here's my Incarvillea mairei ... .can anyone tell me what the difference is between the species and var. grandiflora?

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I'm not sure the difference...grandiflora is suppose to be a larger plant overall but that's all I know.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Happy Birthday, Todd!

I like the C. pilosa especially, too.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

If the name makes any sense at all ("grandiflora"), it should have larger flowers than the species... Does it? I don't know.

Lewisia 'George Henley'...
(By the way, I really only have a few pieces of tufa in a small area, but a tufa bed is in the works. Bought the tufa late in April, and have just been moving plants, waiting for bulbs to finish blooming, and thinking since then... I'll probably start construction this weekend.)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Alyssum tortuosum:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Oxytropis splendens is starting to bloom... not an alpine, but a gorgeous native plant!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

That Oxytrope has always been one of my fav native AB plants....wish I could grow it here!

After 4 years my Ramonda myconi Alba has graced me with a single bloom. The seeds came from Harry Jans when he spoke to our chapter some years ago.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

First bloom is opening on Edrianthus graminifolius

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Penstemon cyananthus. (Just got done keying it out to check. Whew, exhausting!)

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

More power to you Alta! Keying out Penstemon is no easy task.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

My columbines have been doing what they are famous for.....crossing with each other! My miniature species (barnebyi, laramiensis, burgeriana 'Calimero', scopulorum, bertolonii) have been naughty. Here are samples of miniature blue-foliaged columbines in my collection which are obvious hybrids....who the parents are I cannot swear!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

another

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Meanwhile growing in the crevice garden at work is A. desertorum, one of my fav species.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and this formosa

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and triternata.....at least if these three hybridize the offspring should still be red and yellow!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Sedum hispanicum v. minus 'Aureum':

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Saxifraga x longifolia... thank heavens the hybrids thereof are not monocarpic, unlike S. longifolia.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Saxifraga paniculata v. minutifolia 'Red-backed Spider'... or so it was labelled, though I have not been able to verify that such a cultivar name was registered.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Leptodactylon pungens ssp. pulchrifolium has been blooming sparsely... interesting foliage and structure. Maybe next year it will put on a show.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Silene falcata... the very long, red calyx is striking on this one.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Eritrichium canum v. canum continues to bloom.... nice plant, even if it is not one of the sought-after eritrichiums.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Silene saxifraga:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Furry, white seedpods on Astragalus purshii v. lectulus:

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.