Houseplants with little or no sunlight?

Crestview, FL

Hello, I'll be moving into a high rise apt. building soon and I've got to have things growing around me. I think it will mainly be low light or I'll possibly be using a grow light for some things. Any suggestions for house plants? Thanks!

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

ZZ plant. Maybe a Schefflera. Philidendron.

Sterling, VA(Zone 7a)

How about the Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum 'Mauna Loa') ? Not only does it withstand minimal light conditions, it's also on NASA's list of plants that assist in removing indoor Air Pollution and improving air quality in the home.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Yes but without enough light it won't bloom. Fine if no bloom required!

Crestview, FL

Thanks Everybody!

Saint Paul, MN

I grow a plant I got from Glass House Works called the brown jug plant -Euphorbia bicompacta var. rubra. It is indistructable and able to tolerate low light . Its got sort of neat looking foliage.

Are you sure you won't have a lot of light? Some of my best houseplants were grown when I lived on the 11th floor of an apartment building. The light quality just seemed to be terrific and I had all sorts of things flowering.

Clivia is a flowering plant that doesn't need huge amounts of light.

Phalenopsis orchids are terrific and easy to grow and flower without strong light.

Good old african violets, and other gesneriads.

If you only have a small light you can grow those miniature sinnegias that are like little jewels flowering in sphagnum moss in a small terrarium.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a paperback book called: "House plants to grow if you have no sun." by Elvin McDonald, popular library 1975. Great book. Look for a used copy.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

ZZ Plant is a favorite of mine. I think it's the perfect houseplant.

Ellendale, DE(Zone 7a)

What is ZZ plant?

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Here's an article about ZZ Plant. It's an amazing plant. I propagate mine by leaf cuttings. It's the perfect houseplant.

http://www.plant-care.com/zz-zamioculcas-zamiifolia.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.