JAPANESE iRIS HAVE ARRIVED TO TEST.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Well, with all that, let's really hope they do well. You certainly did your best, if they don't.

And Steph and Deb, you keep yourselves warm too.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I hope each and every one of us keeps toasty warm throughout this unusually cold winter spell. The folks down south are really having a very rough time of it with a lot of plants lost that have been in families for generations.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2010 9:58 PM

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

That is so true Pirl. We are fine and almost 50 today. We have learned to survive it here and to get other things to survive that don;t normally as we are very determined LOL. I feel very bad for those in the South hit by such weather and all the loss. They must be feeling so sad losing family heirloom plants as I know I would be..

We didn't even hit 50 today...or 40!

When someone said, "C'mon, admit it, you have zone envy", as was stated on an article here on DG, I ignored it. Sure, some of us bring in some tender plants but it's not as though we envy every tropical plant out there, nor do we all want to care for plants all winter long. A few to brighten up a some rooms is fine and if people want more then more power to them but many of us do not have that zone envy that results in a lot more work each spring and fall.

When I heard about zoos having problems with the animals down south I realized what a huge impact the weather will have in so many ways aside from garden plants.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I am a huge animal lover and I would love to care for all of them and wrap them in a warm blanket.
Zone Envy, never paid much attention to it. I just know what I like and want to enjoy it here but realize some of it is impossible. I feel I have enough variety to keep me happy. but still like to branch out once in awhile and try something new that might have possibilities but that no one has tried in this zone. Never know until you try.
Steph

Make no mistake, I've tried stretching the zone a few times and it works fine with some plants depending on which garden I experiment in but it's not as though I can grow those California lovlies I see so I just enjoy the photos.

Maybe the Amaryllis family is considered zone envy but they certainly do brighten up a snowy day.

Thumbnail by pirl
Raleigh, NC

Must admit, I could live about anywhere we might chose, and I chose here. I'm not at the coast, which I love, not up in the Smokies, which I love, but I'm midway between and can get to either easily. We have a touch of winter, and now that I'm older, that's almost too much. I do miss the fabulous displays of fall colors. We have more heat and humidity than I like, but then dry heat out west used to wilt me. I love summer! What I missed most living north or west was all the neighborhood swimming pools we have here - I grew up wearing swim togs from end of to the start of school! Not swimming daily drove me nuts. Out PNW they didn't have much to offer in the way of pools. I thought everyone swam as recreation. Stunned to find out so many could not even swim!

Wish I lived someplace not quite so high-toned, I'm not a high-toned person. But then, when I travel too deeply into NC's sticks, I get irritated with folks without education.

I'm where family is. For me, that's best. So, no, no zone envy.

Raleigh, NC

we cross posted, pirl, and that's an awesome amaryllis shot! No, amaryllis is not zone envy, that's the Christmas spirit alive and well! Then next you'd be saying that poinsettias are zone envy - and our NCSU here in town gets a lot of research $$ for them! It always stuns me the colors they've come out with.

I also prefer living close to my adult kids and the grand kids. We did take a trip down to Lake Norman, many years ago, but where I thought the lake would have several nice restaurants for diners to enjoy the view, they didn't have one!

I've loved the Smokies, the Blue Ridge National Parkway (we traveled it all the way), and we loved Albemarle, where the real PIRL, a former neighbor who taught me to garden, was born and raised.

We live on Long Island, on the North Fork of the island and on a peninsula so we are surrounded by water but I've never gone swimming out here and seldom since I last took my kids to the beach back in the 70's.

Lots more amaryllis in bud (or getting ready to bud) here. Thanks for the nice words and the Christmas spirit thought.

Raleigh, NC

well, a lot of NYers must really like vacationing down here - I'll bet 1/3 of this county's population moved here from NY or NJ! Have always wanted to see the North Fork - been to the south coast of Long Island as a child.

I'm having bulb envy! this house has the worst windows for growing plants! south facing windows all small and heavily shaded by large trees; no windows east, big patio doors on north side are COLD, and west light only through another patio door in a room seldom used on basement level, but even that only gets good light 2 hours a day. Nothing growing inside that blooms because of light lack.

Ouch! We have 9 windows in the kitchen and 11' expanses in many other rooms so almost all the windows have plants in them.

SO many people I worked with moved to NC!

Raleigh, NC

probably to Cary, NC
CARY= containment area for relocated yankees

editted to add - richest two billionaires in NC started SAS together, live in Cary. They are styling the quaint village after what IBM did to San Jose CA, for over 20 years Cary's mayor was an employee of SAS. Before SAS, maybe 4,000 folks. By 2004, over 100,000. Cary was at Raleigh's SW backdoor. Now grown together.

The Carolinas do have some gorgeous ocean beaches. but as you discovered, lakefront properties tend to be residential, or controlled by Army Corp of Engineers.

This message was edited Jan 12, 2010 5:35 PM

We were shocked that there were no covenants and restrictions in the area of Lake Norman we visited so there'd be a mansion, then a gas station, then some homes, then a school, a convenience store, etc.

Had to laugh at what CARY stands for!

Raleigh, NC

^_^ well, we needed such a thing....

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Steph, did I read that right? Almost 50 yesterday in Montana? What's up with that?

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Polly-Yes it was 47 on our thermometer, loving every minute. Snow melting like crazy. We have a very light rain this AM. How is the weather your way.
Steph

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Supposed to be very nice the next couple of weeks, other than the chance of freezing rain, which I really hate. Isn't that odd weather for you this time of year?

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Yes it is odd to a point. We were supposed to have an open winter according to several weather predictions so maybe it is going to open up now. I hope it does for everyone.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

We've got the snow falling off the roof now. Sounds like thunder.

Raleigh, NC

our day started off with around 18 degrees at 6am - by 11am it was too warm for my winter coat. Had to work on our ENCIS newsletter all day, so hope tomorrow is equally nice and I'll go plant something!

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I can't believe how it has melted here. See most of the beds and tsakes Etc. now. Sidewalks are all clear around the house. A bit of snow in the shady areas is all that is left. The sun was out all day & it was wonderful.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, Steph. That will really put those irises to a test. Especially when it gets cold again, and no snow.

We're done to about four feet of snow, so I don't see it going away. But with temps in the 30s for two weeks we'll lose a lot of it.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

If it get very cold again will make sure I have something over most of it.. What I am not sure. I am going to keep it shaded so they don't think it is spring yet. Hope you get rid of a lot of it and be careful with the shoveling. Have a great rest of the night.
Steph

South Hamilton, MA

Temp supposed to get to 50 on Sat. followed by rain. I'm very sceptical.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Why are you skeptical? It is headed that way. Sounds too good to be true huh.

South Hamilton, MA

YES!

Raleigh, NC

LOL - as best I recall, rebloomnut, Massachusetts does not get Chinook winds, like you do. But they do get noreasters.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I forgot about the Noreasters. They can be wicked too huh. We all have our trials in one way or another with the weather.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It is headed your way, Lucy. Beautiful here today. Steph sent it to us, and I'm sending it o to you. It's only got 350 or so miles to go, I think you're a straight shot to the coast from us. So be ready.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Sorry gang. I will try to do better.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Better than what?

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

HMMM.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Steph, you are a nut:)

Raleigh, NC

well, it's 50 degrees outside and I'm going outside, going irising....

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Well, it's warmed all the way up to 35.2° in Happy Jack right now. The only snow left on the ground, is on the North side of things. The worst part is the 12.4mph winds from the North. So our iris are getting their cold spell. ^_^

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

About 40 here today. 5 mph wind. Not too bad so things have slowed melting completely as rather cloudy. Polly calling me a nut is like the walnut talking to the pecan LOL.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey, I resemble that!

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Join us over here for updates on the Japanese Iris that were sent out for testing in 2009.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1089018/

This message was edited Apr 27, 2010 9:27 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.