JAPANESE iRIS HAVE ARRIVED TO TEST.

Winnsboro, TX

What a wonderful test. I just wish I lived in an area that someone would like me to test a few of those beauties. LOL Anyone need some tested for summer temps up to 110. If so I'd be willing to test any kind of irises, daylilies, or blooming vines.

If not, I would like for a couple of you to contact me and sell me a couple of different ones to grow around my pond areas.

Let's talk!!! Marian

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Hi everyone. Here are the Iris photos. Plants are not huge but nice green color and no sign of disease or insects. I think they have put a lot into the roots, at least that is what I am hoping. A little on the shady side so the H is going to trim the tree near them.

Thumbnail by rebloomnut
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Thumbnail by rebloomnut
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Thumbnail by rebloomnut
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I have learned so much from PollyK and Pirl and they are still teaching me about JI & Sib Iris. It has opened a whole new world in Iris for me I never knew before and a new excitement watching them. Running out and checking everyday to see any new growth , Oh you all know the routine!! THANK YOU MY DEAR IRIS FRIENDS. STEPH

Thumbnail by rebloomnut
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Glad to see them looking so happy in their new home!

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Hi Pirl. Have not heard from you lately and I missed you. I bet you have been really busy planting and such.

Sciatica!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hey Steph, looking good! I think they will make it. If not, you've given it a great try. They do make more root growth the first year than leaves, which is a good thing. It looks like you have them mulched well. The shade won't keep them from coming back, they're not in that much shade. It might keep them from blooming really well, but I doubt it. #3 is a little small, so if any go, I bet it will be that one. It will be interesting to see. But you did exactly as you promised you would, so that will be the best test we could have asked for. Great job, and thank you for giving it a great try.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I love following this thread, I too, think we can expand the zones. Can we know what varieties are included in the Trial?
Hi Polly, Hi Pirl, Good job Steph.
My niece just moved from Michigan to Mass. Had to leave her plants behind so I am "enabling" her with a few extras of mine. What do you think is the best multiplier in Siberian and Japanese? Pseudocarus, but I won't be sending that one, nor Rising Sun, same reason. I thought I'd send the Landscape Japanese iris that I bought as Shiro Nihonkai from HD, it's lovely but not SN. This is one fourth of the clump, I keep dividing and giving away. It's certainly vigorous.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Mittsy,

Best mulitplier in sibs are the tetraploids, like Coronation Anthem, Over In Gloryland, etc. In the Japanese usually the best multipliers are the closest you can get to the species, such as R. Giskard. (And probably the wrongly named ones, as they pick those to propogate and sell through the Dutch trade. They wouldn't be selling masses of them unless they were vigorous. )

Steph has R Giskard and Silent Thunder from me. I don't know what she has from Pirl.

Debsroots has Prairie Glory, Fortune and a no I.D. wine one.

Thank you, off to check the PlantFiles for pictures.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Mittsy R. Giskard is probably doing the best. It was also the largest clump. Silent thunder is doing ok but was small clump and it is looking very healthy so am hopeful it is putting on good roots which I think it is as it put out new bit of growth a few inches from the initial planting.
Steph

Also I did not get any plants from Pirl but lots of good advise and tips.

It's only because I've been down with sciatica, Steph.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Pirl I don't expect anything except your friendship. I am so sorry to hear you are have Sciatica. I am told it is very painful. What are you doing for it and has it helped any??

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

The following are my latest pictures of the Japanese Iris Pirl gave me to grow out in my zone. I think you will notice they are doing very well.

Fortune

Thumbnail by Debsroots
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Dark Wine

Thumbnail by Debsroots
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Prairie Glory....close up shot...you can see the new shoots.

Thumbnail by Debsroots

Good job, Debbie! Prairie Glory really loves your garden. Thanks for the photos.

Steph - Fortune will be winging its way to you tomorrow! I'll even include a bag of compost to fill out the package.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Pirl or Polly...if these survive over the winter....what are the chances they will bloom in 2010?

I'd say 50-50, maybe better.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Great job Debbie! You're a good iris Mama too!

All the irises look good to go for winter. Now it's just wait and see. You've both done everything right, and if they can survive, they certainly will under the conditions you have given them.

And I'm with Pirl, Deb, I think if they survive over winter 50 percent or better chance they will bloom. I'm not sure with Steph, she might just be that much colder they won't bloom the first year.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Pirl you are a true Pearl. Thanks you so much. I am really escited.

I am going to mulch these babies well for winter and put up a wind break as I am determined they can make it. I am gonna do it or BUST. LOL I think my slacks just did that.

I used all the vacant space to pack in our own bagged compost for you. I'd still add coffee grounds. Somehow I believe in them since they work so well for me. I just dug one plant but it's a nice big mama!

You'll note the bottom of the box is 90% tape because all my shipping boxes in the garage got wet at one end so it's been a headache with all packages, all summer long, and the post office has one box left for the lucky winner but not the size I need.

Thanks to you now the path is a bit wider!

When does the ground freeze in your area?

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

It usually freezes about end of Oct to End of Nov for the winter. It has been pretty sporadic the past few years and does not look like it will be early this year so that is good. I don't care what the box looks like I just think it is wonderful I can help you make room. Love ya

Steph

It worked out well for both of us.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Update from Missouri. This winter has been one of the coldest since the 70's. It was -20 degrees just this week as an overnight low, and has been extremely cold for the last 2 weeks. Today the high is suppose to get to 25 degrees...then continue to warm up to a high of 36 degrees for this week. We are to have a couple of weeks of warmer weather come through. We have had a huge amount of snowfall also. I don't remember this much snow on the ground here since 1961.

I am anxiously awaiting for spring of 2010.

The Japanese Iris will most certainly be tried this winter for hardiness in NW Missouri.

Debbie

Good luck and do let us know if they survive the winter and actually bloom for you.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

They are being tested to the extreme here also. Lots of snow for insulation thank goodness. It was at one point -33 but I have a lot of mulch and hopefully enough wind protection so I guess time will tell. It is beginning to warm and should be this way awhile. 36 now and to get into the 40's for a few days. Good luck on yours Deb.

Pirl I am praying over he beautiful gift one you sent me. Will take photos and share this spring.

While -33 does sound chilly, and I'm glad we didn't have it that bad, I hope the JI's flourish for you.

I'll add my prayers for that one, Steph!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, they are definitely being tested. we have had a low of -7, which is the lowest we've had in years, but the irises are under 6 foot of snow, so well insulated.

Can't wait to see how they do.

Was that a real minus 33 Steph, or a wind chill thing?

Good luck Debbie and Steph. Crossing my fingers for you both.

Raleigh, NC

Polly, obviously, I can't help you.

do you have any testers at altitude? I have a girlfriend in 4A at 4700ft in a high desert region. The lawns must be irrigated, and they have an irrigation system so she could give these enough water. If you are interested, I'll call her. It'll be her husband Don that takes this over, he's a sweetie that would love this sort of test thing. They are my son's godparents. They have nothing but full sun, too.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I just wanted to get these preliminary tests first Bonnie. Let's wait until spring and I'll see if I want to do more testing.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Polly it was a real -33 degree. Yes that is bitter cold but with the snow and mulch I am hopeful as the temps did not linger long.

Global Warming? Last night we hit 27. No hope for the bananas. Just a fluke,or new weather patterns developing?

Talking about cold and freezing temperatures, check out this thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7450874

As for global warming -

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 11:28 AM

Thumbnail by pirl
Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

They are sure trying to scare everyone into their way of thinking so we will not cry to loudly when we fund their projects. I agree-Global Warming-HA!!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That is bitter cold, Steph. We used to get minus 20 here, and it seemed unbearable. But now we usually don't get below zero. This year we've been a minus 7. Minus 33 is nasty, and if there was any wind, ouch.

Poor Mittsy. Although maybe you will be able to start growing JIs in Florida if it keeps up.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

No wind here when it gets that cold usually so that help. Wind can come up about 0 and that is bad enough. We have a 6' fence around the property with shrubs all around on the inside of the windiest side to cut it down and it really helps. Also where I have all the JI I have an old raised bed that I put a cple evergreens in to help block it more for a rare treasure someday and the JI's are it./

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.