CLOSED: Free Seed for Newbies!! Come on in!! New Thread 05/28/2009

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Joyce,
Thank you for posting your tub water garden and LA Black Gamecock pictures. I have another LA iris I will be bringing you in the fall. Still looking for clear glass pieces for your "totems", got the glue in the freezer. I miss my orchids but I'm enjoying all of my iris blooming.

All you seed newbies, if you want to try ,plant trading, I have a few LA Iris Black Gamecock to share. I DO NOT have seeds of this. You can dmail me if interested.

Mittsy

This message was edited Jun 6, 2009 6:20 AM

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Did you hear ...well read that everyone? Not only did Mittsy offer up a name she offered up atrade for newbies!!! Whoo Hoo !! Mittsy is a great trader to learn from. Have fun.
Robin

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Mittsy, I sent you dmail :)

Cue-chik I sent you D-mail. :)

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I gots it! WOOT!

Flushing, NY(Zone 6b)

Hello All!

And thank you Carolyn for the nice note directing me to this thread.

I think it's a great thing you folks are doing for newbies, but I'm not going to ask for any seed because it should go to the people most likely to use it.

When I was in high school I grew the vegetables at my parents' place. Hard to believe it's almost 30 years later now that I finally have the opportunity to garden again. The space at my new place is limited though and I've decided to focus on perennials, which is really all I'm doing at the moment (that's my clematis 'Ramona' down below). Perennials are an exciting new thing to explore, because my past experience is only with annuals and veggies.

Thanks again and I hope to run into some of you in the forums!

-Alex

Thumbnail by topofmurrayhill
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Glad to meet you Alex. Do keep in touch. Many of us grow some of our perennials starting with seed, so if you change your mind. We will be here.
Robin

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning
Someone here asked me for Comfrey. A while back. I didn't have any but I have some now. Who was it and do you still want it?
Robin

I have started my tub garden on the deck. I filled it with water yesterday. Letting the chlorine work off soI I can start planting. The LA iris that mekos sent to me is going in. I am potting it in good compost and will find something to elevate the pot to the correct level. Have to go to the big pond to get a couple of lilies. Don't want any more skeeters so will try to nab a couple of very small goldfish. Thanks for the inspiration, I'm having fun.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Did you show us yet Mittsy?

You want a picture of a purple plastic party tub filled with tap water?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Lol No !

Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

haha! I must say this is educational AND amusing!

MOSTLY AMUSING.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

And now for the three stooges!! Me , mekos and Flowerejh!!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Good thing not everyone can see our dmails.......

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Outgoing, Outgoing,Outgoing

Smdonnell, MadRobin,Crabgrass central,and MaryV,Erica( I almost sent yours to myself...but it is on the way,Mary H,and
Sherri R and Rosemarie and Peg.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2009 6:04 AM

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

In the holding tank for not yet...acquired requests Glenna and Marta Dont worry I will find what you are looking for. Just gotta dig...

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

did you all know that you can grow the peaces lilies in water too? They have to be elevate so just the roots are in the water. They make beautiful water plants.

Robin, you darling. I've got to stop harrassing you now. My mail just came!?! Love you, girl.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Your welcome

Alex Welcome! I love the Clematis. The color is just what I want for my front trellis. I'll have to hunt one.

Cue-chik watch for the post.

Anyone have experience growing Green Goddess calla lily in water or bog conditions? I had no idea about peace lilies. Thanks for the tip Flower.

You've been busy Arejay. Thanks for all your work. My listhianthus are coming into bloom.

Sherri

Thumbnail by

Beautiful picture. I can almost smell it.

Thanks!

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Everybody was talking about the water iris and it just dawned on me that the peace lilies would grow in water too.

Flushing, NY(Zone 6b)

Sherri, I think callas like good drainage. I've seen them react very badly to overly wet soil - they quickly stopped growing and got waterlogged spots (edema) on the leaves, so I'm thinking bog conditions probably wouldn't suit them.

Glad you like the clematis. I have three of those on the fence in the back yard. In my mind's eye I saw the fence eventually covered in this blue color, but now I think I have too many of the same. After seeing my first insane all-out May bloom, I've gotten excited about clematis and want to try more colors and types.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Seray,
That is so pretty.!! did you grow that from seed?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Goooood morning all you 'seedy' peeps!

Just gone for a check around the garden and I got baby veggies all over the place, WOOT!

Also have some flower seeds sprouting, from my 'Black' collection! am excited, cant wait to get that Gothic Garden growing!

its funny, my front beds look sort of 'thrown' together, (I kinda like that look ) as I just sort of transplant to where ever I happen to have an open spot. I guess my garden is reflecting my chaotic life ROTFL! Eh, who cares, its MY garden, right? besides, there is always next year to move things around for better placement! This is the year to just get it growing... thats the excuse Im using anyway...lol.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Im glad you have your story straight!!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

yup yup... lol... that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Ok I don't usually pass on this stuff but...this seems to me to be the exception??? Please let me know if it works...someone here is bound to get stung right?

This information may be something to remember, as this season will soon be here again...

It might be wise to carry a penny in your pocket while working in the yard.......... BEE STINGS !

A couple of weeks ago, I was stung by both a bee and hornet while working in the garden.

My arm swelled up, so I went to the doctor. The clinic gave me cream and an antihistamine. The next day the swelling was getting progressively worse, so I went to my regular doctor. The arm was Infected and needed an antibiotic.The doctor told me - " The next time you get stung, put a penny on the bite for 15 minutes".

That night, my niece was stung by two bees. I looked at the bite and it had already started to swell. So, I taped a penny to her arm for 15 minutes. The next morning, there was no sign of a bite. We decided that she just wasn't allergic to the sting.

Soon, I was gardening outside. I got stung again, twice by a hornet on my left hand. I thought, here I go again to the doctor for another antibiotic.

I promptly got my money out and taped two pennies to my bites, then sat and sulked for 15 minutes. The penny took the string out of the bite immediately.

In the meantime the hornets were attacking, and my friend was stung on the thumb. Again the penny. The next morning I could only see the spot where the hornet had stung me. No redness, no swelling. My friend's sting was the same; couldn't even tell where she had been stung.

She got stung again a few days later upon her back---cutting the grass! And the penny worked once again.

Wanted to share this marvelous information in case you experience the same problem. We need to keep a stock of pennies on hand.

The doctor said that the copper in the penny counteracts the bite.

It definitely works!

Please remember and pass this information on to your friends, children, grandchildren

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I'll have to keep that in mind. I havent seen any hornets here, but we do have ground wasps and a few carpenter bees (tho they usually dont sting).. but I do have a 11 year old who is outside alot. Handy info to have in case he does get stung. Thanks Robin!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

everyone is eerily quiet today.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I think it's one of those days . . .

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

this thread is normally so busy..seems odd.. like maybe there is a hurricane coming or something..the quiet before the storm.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

ugggghhh... why did I think mowing the lawn in the midday sun in 90 F weather would be a GOOD idea?????

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

OH well cue don't complain I had to get out an work in the garden. Had to get the weeds out b4 they took over. I would much rather have been on the mower. LOL

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

lol.. I have a push mower... and I too did a litle weeding... and plucking... and pruning...and and... *faints* its just too darn hot at the moment. now i know why those South America Jungle Tribes take to their hammocks in midday... those peeps got it right!

Wow Interesting education this am. I will carry a penny with me in the garden at all times now.

Arejay I bought the listhianthus from Burpee. Pretty sure they are tissue cultured. We couldn't find seeds for this variety. I will be on the lookout for seeds from this group. They are really prolific.

Top! Did you grow the clematis from seed? I have a Florida Siebold that had finished blooming. Can't tell if this is seed or just dried Stuff. :) Hey I've planted dried Stuff before. LOL Seeds are new to me. Need a Seed 101 manual.

Thumbnail by
Saint Cloud, FL(Zone 9b)

Right on Cuechick! Same here in St. Cloud. Although I hope it helps my tropical seed to germinate! I have plumeria and poinciana tree seeds outside right now. By the way, I have a basil plant which just flowered, and I wanted to collect seed for next year. But I don't see where the seeds are? Can anyone help out a clueless newbie? I'm bad with collecting seeds. I never know where to look or when to collect them.
Froukje

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.