Aquarium....

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

OK Bec, I think it's time for some updated photos.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I know - I'm still learning how to take pix with new camera and how to take pix in an aquarium - but, I took some for now :)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I only have a few fish, about 15 or so, I really need to get to "that fish place" in Lancaster :)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

It's so hard taking pix in a tank, fish keeps moving ^_^

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL, So do my plants, Bec!!! The tank is looking great. I really do like that Diver's mask.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Becky, we need to plan a road trip this fall! TFP, and maybe also the Violet Gallery... My poor tang is all alone in his big tank, and I really want to get him a buddy... I'm thinking of getting a trigger fish, because although they can be a bit aggressive, if I get one that's smaller than Tweedle-Dum (aka Tweedle Idiot), I think they'll be fine together. (And if theyr'e not, one will go into a little isolation tank for a bit until I set up the corner tank! LOL)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Jill - it's a date, let me know when would be convenient, but, it'll have to be fairly soon ^_^

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

For me, I probably can't plan for new acquisitions until at least late October. If that doesn't work for you, no problem, as I'm sure you'll "need" to go up there another time this fall/winter. :-)

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL - ah, yes...as of mid-Oct I'm pretty much booked on weekends, BUT - we are both more than capable of going up on a weekday ^_^

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I would be very glad to babysit while you two ladies shop...........LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

We all have our "needs"!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

A weekday would work fine. Babies are portable... or Jim might be able to work from home that day... or we can pick up "Aunt Holly" on the way! :-)

But seriously, if you have a chance to go up sooner, don't wait for me.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Bec - looks great!!! Need to get you a pictus (sp?) cat to help that albino out....wooo whoooo what fun!! How about a bushy-nose pleco?

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Broke down and stocked up on some more fish at Petco today, so now the tank looks nice and lively - I will take pix :) I have a couple of fish looking suspiciously huge, I'm either feeding them too much or they are very pregnant

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

If they're "huge" & bloated so much that their scales are sticking out (like a pinecone, sort of), that's not good news for them... Pregnant mollies or swordtails would be fun!

I generally isolate newcomers in a little tank for a couple of weeks, because it's too hard to medicate a SW tank (killing off all the good bacteria & critters in the rock with copper or other meds would not be good).

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Nope, no bloating - they are all healthy and eating like little pigs - I keep a close eye on them for bloating, ick etc

When I first introduced fish to the tank I lost a couple in the first 24 hrs, this time they are all doing good - haven't lost a single one :) Measure the ph and other values on a weekly basis - make sure I change filters and charcoal - tank is due for a cleaning & waterchange this weekend - I know I should have a small, separate tank for introduction, quarantine - but until I can figure out where to put it I just have to keep doing what I'm doing :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yeah, it's simpler to talk the talk about a quarantine tank... I didn't do one with a freshwater tank, but with saltwater it's just too hard to treat the tank for a problem since most meds are fatal to inverts as well as to the "good' bacteria etc. in the live rock.

I suspect your tank is much more well maintained than mine at this point... it's just as well mine are way underpopulated, definitely cuts down on the potential for problems. I do want to give Tweedle Idiot a companion... and I think I'll probably add a little trigger fish to the tank. They have such great personalities, very curious about things inside and outside of the tank. :-)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I have a freshwater tank set up again. My young DS wouldn't let the goldfish and two remaining tadpoles freeze out in the yard. (A big tub, not a real pond) I'm wondering what the tadpoles will do for the winter- if the house warmth will get their maturity restarted...Two of them promptly got legs and went and two are "stuck" with tiny back legs. And there's four goldfish. I had forgotten all the maintenance we'll have, but the fishy water will be nice to harvest for potted plants. and I find the bubbler noise nice.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sally, How deep is the tub and is it sunk into the ground? Tad's will hibernate in the muck at the bottom of the "pond" for winter, as long as it doesn't freeze solid. Bull frog tads will take 2 years to mature. Toad tads will mature and leave the "pond" in a very short time, if I remember right mine left in about 6 weeks. Toads go to water just to reproduce and mature and then they are out of there and onto dry land.
Don't know about the "green frogs".
Just make sure you have a screen ready and maybe a terrarium set up ready just in case. LOL

Thanks! My tub was above gorund for the summer, a temp thing at best. And today I got it all scrubbedout, so no muck left for them LOL.
I didn't know bullfrogs take 2 years, They were store bought and labeled bullfrog. It seems maybe I had two yearlings and two newbies? even though they all were about the same size.
Yes I told the kids maybe we will have to do a terrarium if they develop. Gee darn, another science-ey, plant-ey project. I hate that (not)

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, it never occured to me that you can buy frogs. Did you buy them as tadpoles? I remember your photos , they were so neat. I'd be interested to know how Judy made out with the Tree frogs from Holly's. Seems like we haven't heard from her all summer. I'd love to have a pair of those frogs.

We have a huuuuuuge tropical fish and pet store and they do sell bullfrog tads, along with other pond items.

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

I have babies!!!!!!!!! Lots and lots of black, orange and spotted little Mollie babies! I've only seen them briefly - they get brave and come out during feeding time, but for most of the time they are hiding out in the corner - away from bigger, hungrier fishies who see them as tasty morsels ^_^ I'll set up my tripod one day and attempt getting a picture or two

With that, my apologies for lack of participation, been a rough few mos health wise, but now I think I'm back in action again ^_^

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Bec, I am happy for you! So exciting.
No apologies necessary, it is nice to see you so excited again!

Jumping up and down for you

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

LOL - I just realized it's 'the very small things' in life that makes me happy ^_^

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Me too, and usually it involves some child laughing!! Glad to hear about your offspring!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Woohooo!

Also great news to hear that things have hopefully turned the corner for you... will pray for you to be all bouncy again soon! You've been missed.

Thats cool! fish babies are a rare treat! Congrats

Hey, do goldfish ever have babies? I mean I know they must (ROFL) but, has anyone had them produce in a pond or tank?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.