The Ever Popular Confessions Thread, Part three I think

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay, have at it. Came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/984503/#new

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Kyla! We needed that.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I confess, I got the number wrong, I really think this is part four, but I did not want to confess that there had been that many of these.

*snort*

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Perhaps your ancestors were just smart enough to realize that France would not be a good place to live for a while, Gloria.

I was talking to my parents the other night about heritage because Zerbeebee has expressed some interest in the Scottish part of his ancestry. He gets some from both his mom and me. Found out my Great Grandmother was decended from the Cannon family.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ah, that probably means you can identify a Tartan. Hope it is more attracted than the McLeod one which is bright gold and black in big blocks. I have a friend whose family name before marriage was McLeod. The whole family did Scotish country dance and had kilts. My friend referred to the family tartan as "Royal Bumblebee".

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Royal Bumblebee is funny. Some of the plaids are pretty bad.

The Cannons are not a large clan. I looked on one site that sold Tartans and they didn't have them listed. I have seen a Crest. If we don't like the Cannon Tartan, I may adopt a different one. ;)

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I love bagpipes. I used to cry whenever I heard them from some kind of deep soul feeling, of course everyone always said hahaha cause they hurt your ears? so I quite telling about it after a while.....

Used to be a fellow in San Francisco who would practice his pipes in the middle of the panhandle of the Golden Gate Park. I lived on a street fronting the panhandle and it was wonderful to hear, wafting through the air....... ;-)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I get really emotional when I hear bagpipes as well. Can't quite figure it out, must be the itty bit of Irish in me. Then again, I cry at parades with marching bands as well. MIght be because my son was head drum major in high school, or just because marching bands in parades always bring me back to my childhood (ahhh, small town America, I am re-living my childhood now!).

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

DH and I once took a Windjammer cruise, one of the great experiences of our lives. Unfortunately the company is now out of business. Nevertheless we took a 2 week voyage in the Carribean on a yacht once owned by E.F. Hutton and that had a lot more history that I have forgotten. It had a huge number of masts and sails. Sails in the 20's I think. And they actually knew how to sail it even though it had a railroad locomotive engine inside if they wanted to motor.
The sails were all raised manually and passengers were allowed, but not required, to help. When they raised the sails, they always played "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes ( a recording). It was enough to bring tears to the eyes of the most hard boiled soul. That ship was so beautiful when under sail. The song was so appropriate.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I bet that was truly awesome!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Scottish dance is for the stout of heart and foot. Golly, anyone with 7 years of ballet can do it!
I did learn a Highland Fling, but I doubt that I did it very well. It would help to be male, of course, and dance it on the shield of your slain enemy.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Gosh, that would make the highland fling dangerous in this day and age. Police would find you right away if you danced on your sword in a kilt after killing your enemy. Would have to do it indoors.
Picante, Scottish country dance is way different from Highland dancing. It is a bit like English country dance -- reels and jigs but not the incredibly aerobic highland dancing. It is done with a partner. Still it is good exercise and can be continued all night.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I want to fling! How do you do it Picante? I'm sure I will butcher it but I MUST do it! Do I need a kilt? What about shoes? Are there perchance pics of you doing the Fling? Inquiring minds need to know all the details.

Santa Fe, NM

Picante, are you Scotch-Irish ( as well as German, Cherokee, etc) ? I'm not sure what Scotch-Irish is; but grandpa insisted on it. We are related to Hendersons, who must've been Norse, but showed up in Scotland long ago and wanted a kilt. And they got one. Argh. Saw a picture of it in a book. It was black, of course. Viking raiders. So funny. D.H. learned to play bagpipes when he was 19 or 20 years old but did not have his own set. It must've been in college. He thinks it is neat that Zerbeebee wants to play them.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think its neat too. Zerbeebee wants me to play with him. I'll give it a go. We met up with the High Desert Pipe & Marching Band last night. They are a good group of people. Should be fun even if we never play a note.

As far as learning and playing indoors, players use a practice chanter. It omits the bag and drones altogether. Its more like a recorder with an internal reed. No earplugs needed.

Highland Fling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emCIxAJCe2g

and a sword dance - at the Norther Canadian Open Championship. Expect to see you there next year dahlianut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFUQJ69p4s&feature=related

Santa Fe, NM

So, will your daughter be dancing and playing bagpipes, too? Or hiding out with her fingers in her ears? l.o.l. D.H. just used a chanter.

Santa Fe, NM

Oh. Here is my confession. Rain, cloudy, cold. For 2 or 3 days now. Instead of being delighted at the moisture I am feeling resentful and seriously sun deprived! My roses are hanging their soggy heads in shame at my bad thoughts!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Awwww.

Here we are having something slightly resembling a sudden thunderstorm, only so far it is not raining much. I confess, it's kinda nice, but Roybird, I know what you mean, as if it were to really rain I would have to try to scurry around to protect the teeny foxglove starts I potted up today out there...... watching very very closel...................y just ran out there to check as it did start to rain hard enough to be rain, but it is coming from behind the house so most things on the deck are protected and anyway, not much so far.......

;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Grab that moisture dear funny bird while you can! We will soon be heading into the Joon Monsoon. I will hate it but my babies will be thankful for the rest of the summer. Bummer when you have such prettiful roses right now though.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

How long does the monsoon last, Dahlia? I've never had one before, don't t hink they have one out here.....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

June is our rainy month Kyla. Not much rain in July and August at all.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Our monsoon season starts in July. May and June are normally the fire months. Luckily for us we got a monsoon in late May. Everything looks lush and green. I love it. I didn't get cabin fever as I might have otherwise with days of overcast because I was out in the garden cutting iris and even planting things.
Getting gifts for the show was a costly project for me because it enabled me to buy lots of tomatoes and peppers and such and the salvia. Ouch! Now I have to plant them all! We got something like an inch of rainfall yesterday and about 1/2 inch the day before. The people who usually win the big prizes in the iris show were angry because they claim it hurt their iris -- but there was no hail and the rains were mostly gentle. I didn't think it hurt mine at all, but I am just a beginner. What do I know?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

My daughter won't be playing with us. She is very brave though, and will listen to us play and cheer us on. I expect Zerbeebee will be playing his Chanter successfully fairly soon as he has spent the last 3/4 years playing recorder and trombone in succession. I, on the other hand, played guitar when I was Zerbeebee's age.

I also enjoyed the rain. I am content to wait for the series of 90+ degree days that run through June.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You two will have fun and your daughter will have fun bragging about how weird you two are. That's great stuff for a teenager.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

She knows how weird we are. :) I tease her back that she is very much like me.

Reno, NV

Oh the dreaded 'just like me' curse that parents send! Lol. Someday we learn that it's a compliment

Santa Fe, NM

Well, maybe. I confess I am not in love with all this cold, dampness! I'm a desert rat at heart. At least we've had fair amounts of sun here and there. But I can't believe I'm wearing a polar fleece shirt in May!!! Guess it is all worth it to delay, shorten or eliminate the fire season. I'm getting closer and closer to the new camera, now. I went and held it for awhile the other day! It seems like a pretty, sweet thing! We are going to Albuquerque later this week to look at computers so I'll be price comparing on cameras, too.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I confess, my back hurts. I cannot b'lieve all I did today. Owie.

Santa Fe, NM

But that's a good kind of hurt. You know you accomplished something! You deserve a hot bath and a refreshing beverage.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Roybird, what kind of camera are you getting?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes I do! but I think I will settle for ice cream and a hot shower as those are actually available.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I rather like the dampness but could skip the cold. I have been going around in a warm shirt as well. The dogs just moved indoors and refused to go outside. Raja kept going to the door and peeking out and turning around and going back to sleep. I kept running out and planting this or that in pots or photographing. We didn't have a whole lot of sun. But, having grown up in Louisiana and Mississippi, I thought this was a lovely day. Everything was getting a little more water and cool weather in which to grow roots. And I have lots of flowers even if it is cold outside!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

We are having what I have learned is "typical mountain weather"... which usually means (in spring and summer) clear skies in the morning, a rain in early afternoon, clear skies for the rest of the day and evening. When we used to come up here for vacation to ride the motorcycle, we always got caught in a rainstorm right about when we stopped for lunch! Learned to always pack the raingear when riding in the Colorado mountains, LOL!

Brenda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

This is part of the uniqueness of the Rocky Mountains. I fell in love with the cool air after a rain in the summer many years ago. In the South after a rain it is just hot and muggy. Living at this altitude and in a dry area has a lot to recommend it -- and some serious disadvantages lie forest fires, lack of water and fresh fish.

Reno, NV

I confess that I didn't get as much as I wanted done in the garden. Needed to cook to, tonight some house cleaning and folding laundry. I confess that I often wish I had a maid

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I confess that I am so far behind I will never catch up. I try not to think about it and just play in the garden. I confess that I am not a conscientious housekeeper and my DH is worse and the older I get the less I care about housekeeping. There are so many better things to do.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I agree whole-heartedly! Who cares if there's a little dust, I would rather be playing in the dirt.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My philosophy is that the big thing in the middle of the garden is on it's own for the summer. I confess that my entire bod is cricky from doing contortions to plant things without stepping on other things. I also confess that in the process of planting new things I accidently dug up a few new lilies that I put in last fall (oops). The lilies are all up now though so there should be no more oopsing (for now)

Santa Fe, NM

I confess I would also like a house cleaner! D.H. hired a man with a truck to take a bunch of old junk to the dump the other day. Very productive! I wish I'd been here because i would've thrown more in.

Reno, NV

I confess that I do the bare minimum in the house during the summer. Still, I'm a bit of a tidy freak so sometimes I just have to get in there and get it cleaned up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.